7 forum threads with 100+ player comments should be evidence enough... MAKE CHANGES TO ARCHERY!

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by swiftfeet, Apr 5, 2015.

1. swiftfeet

swiftfeet Active Member

Ever since I have gotten my hands on a few of these bows and began to CTF with them, I have to say could this be all that Archery was missing? As much as I would like to say this is all Archery was missing I am sad to say it still lacks something but it has gotten much much better with these bows. You would think a few damage wouldn't be as important but for Archery it really is. So with that said...

I am retracting my 2.5+ year argument about the Accuracy of the Bows. Although it still misses a bunch its not as bad when you have a Runic/purple pot chunking a good bit of damage.

So with all that I would like to propose a few buffs.

Please increase the Bow/Crossbow to the speed of the Hally. Right now according to the website bow/crossbows have a speed of 20/18. The Hally has a speed of 25.
    Increase the HeavyXbow to the speed of a Crossbow at 18. Right now its at 10 and completely useless for anything other than botting.

Specials: I know this has been talked about and I think we pretty much decided on either poison arrows or armor ignore. I personally like the armor ignore on armor piece that was hit.

@Telamon please consider
    Baine, Xegugg and Keza like this.
  2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

He goes by @Chris on forums. :p

I like armor ignore chance and have only heard that poison arrows are always OP no matter how you slice it.
    swiftfeet likes this.
  3. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I don't think poison arrows are OP, so long as you also have the poisoning skill.

The problem with archery in PvP is that not everyone is a swiftfeet. It's not easy to time purples with arrows, especially on the run. The server has seen plenty of competent PvPers pick up archery only to drop it very soon after (Pill for example).

Even with runic bows I think archery still needs to be looked at.

I am biased though, I think all things dexxer pvp/pvm (still) need looking in to.
  4. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  5. swiftfeet

swiftfeet Active Member

TBH if archery was given a special which had to be paired with another skill like poisoning or fletching I would keep inscribe. I think inscribe is one of the best 7th skills in the game for a dexxer and has saved me more than once. War Hammers, Spears, Hallys all provide special moves without another skill. I don't think poisoning would be OP at all for the fact its very easy to chug cures. I still like Armor ignore and the slight bonus to damage would be great. Also if poison arrows were to be the special I would like be able to poison a stack of them up to a certain amount.

Also thanks Cynic "The problem with archery in PvP is that not everyone is a swiftfeet"
  6. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

This would be an 80% increase in dps for the heavy xbow and "only" a 25% damage increase for the bow.

Armor Ignore would get you an extra 12 or so damage against leather, maybe 16 against high end metal. So a vanq bow would do about 90% more damage on an "armor ignore" shot than it would on a regular shot. War hammer crushing blow is probably 75% increase in damage on its hit.
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  7. swiftfeet

swiftfeet Active Member

What would be on par with a macer/axer then bro? Also got to take into account archery misses more.
  8. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Updated. It's similar to the war hammer, though more powerful. And I think more swingy, which means more random deaths to a couple of sweet rolls in a row.
  9. swiftfeet

swiftfeet Active Member

I think Tela was saying armor ignore will only ignore the armor of area hit. Seems 12-16 is high. But reducing the swing timer of the bow I was thinking it would put it at the damage output of a hally. Hally (5-49 dmg) Bow (9-41 dmg) Crossbow (8-43 dmg). Prob do less because of the accuracy. The HeavyBow needs some love 8 seconds seems like a lifetime.
  10. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

If the heavy Xbox was sped up I would like to use it. That thing is slow AF.
    David Scraggs, Brun and Baine like this.
  11. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

My CoD:AW limited edition XBox One is fairly heavy. It's also slow AF. lol
    Brun likes this.
  12. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

This is the 7th forum I have seen about making alterations to improve Archery in some way, but there could be more I have not seen.
    http://uorforum.com/threads/archery-and-the-lack-of-a-special-attack.1088/page-9#post-72817
    http://uorforum.com/threads/cons-or-archery.7236/#post-57537
    http://uorforum.com/threads/special-attack-for-archery-with-a-poll.1655/#post-10017
    http://uorforum.com/threads/what-pvp-changes-would-you-like-to-see.6753/page-4#post-52896 (this turned into a discussion about archery)
    http://uorforum.com/threads/bonuses-for-useless-skills.1375/#post-7921
    http://uorforum.com/threads/bowcraft-fletching-improvements.1898/#post-11426

Like @swiftfeet I also have an archer and agree with much of what has been said in this and other forums. To sum it all up, players seem to be demanding the following 3 things in this order:
    1. Change heavy Xbow speed! This is the primary complaint found in every forum. We realize that every weapon class has its redundant weapon such as a Shepherd's crook or pitchfork, but there are only 3 archery weapons!
    2. Include a special attack. While there is a whole forum dedicated to this, the request has appeared in others as well. It seems the collective group is most interested in a armor piercing attack. If someone can afford the time and money to GM archery, I think they deserve a special attack!
    3. Alter the damage output calculation of archery weapons. Players differ in opinion on this one, some say change archery/tactics to calculate like all other weapon types. Others want damage based on range. Many have also suggested the fletching should increase archery damage similar to an axer with lumberjacking.
    I strongly feel that the first two changes should be implemented just to quite this topic down in the forums. I understand if @Chris doesn't act on the third point right away. We as a server would need to discuss that one a little more.

7 forum threads with 100+ player comments should be evidence enough... MAKE CHANGES TO ARCHERY!
    swiftfeet likes this.
  13. Gideon Jura

14. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member

Even little things like various bows with mods are cool (maybe bow types with various perks/specials) the orc bow having longer range is a good example of this, I don't think it needs a major overhaul, but small tweaks wouldn't hurt.
    English John likes this.
  15. Gideon Jura

Baine and Keza like this.
  16. swiftfeet

swiftfeet Active Member

Changes need to be applied and tested now. The level at which the axer/macer is at is lightyears ahead and now everyone is rolling around with very powerful runics.
    Keza likes this.
  17. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member

I'd rather see macing tweaked than archery!
  18. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

The only way I think variable hit chance would make sense is if it had an equivalent variable damage. ie: if you got the high hit chance you should also get a damage buff for that hit as well. I know I helped test this when it was in dev years ago and it IS an improvement over the original mechanic. That said, still lackluster and in need of improvement for perfection.
  19. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

I think you should be able to shoot people while on the run, with an addition of increased speed, damage, and accuracy, as well as armor piercing and DP arrows. What are you guys thoughts?
  20. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Can I get a Barrett .50 cal?