A few questions

Discussion in 'PvP Discussion' started by Sartan, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Sartan

Sartan New Member

Hey folks. My guild and I are looking for a good UO shard to play until our primary game is released and between alpha tests. So, basically looking for something to play for the next few months and a month here and there. Most of us are old UO players, several from beta. One former Counselor and GM. We're wading through the sea of shards to find what's right for us. Not to be a noob, but I've had a little trouble finding certain information on the web site here specifically in regards to PVP rules and skill gain. We're a PVP guild primarily and prefer open pvp, and we're also hoping for fast skill gains as we don't have time for a time sink right now. We're about 20 players strong right now and just looking for a shard to have some fun on. Can anyone shed some light on that for me? Thanks in advance.
  2. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you consider fast, but you can make a 7x scribe stun or heal stun Mage in probably 4-5 days. Scribe stun is probably the most common template as far as faction pvp is concerned.
  3. Sartan

Sartan New Member

Much faster than the original time frames.... Is pvp open pvp?
  4. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  5. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

It is almost entirely open-world PvP. There are "instanced" capture the flag events that run a couple times a day lately. I'm not sure if they're on a set schedule or not.

Curious what the game you are waiting on is... Given you're on a UO forum, the obvious guess would be Shroud of the Avatar, however since your guild has a PvP focus, I'm gonna put my money on Camelot Unchained.
  6. Gideon Jura

7. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

renaissance era rules without trammel. If you can ask more specific questions we can help with that too

here are some videos

factions: http://www.twitch.tv/mes_tt/c/4159563

pking:
  8. Sartan

Sartan New Member

We don't care about murder counts obviously. It's a non issue. Where we believe OSI began to destroy the game was in regards to stat loss. Is there stat loss on death for murderers here? Most of us switched to Seige when the rest of the shards began their decline by catering to the carebear crowd. Eventually, we all moved on from Seige as well.
  9. Sartan

Sartan New Member

As a guild, we have been testing Albion Online. It's the first game since UO that reminded us of UO. We are 3 days away from finishing up the second alpha test as a guild. The next alpha test is in December, then closed beta and then open beta. In teamspeak, we always seem to refer back to our UO days(for those of us that played) and we have been talking about playing an old ruleset UO server with reasonably fast skill gain and no stat loss. We're looking through the top active shards that meet what we're looking for in between tests and during downtime.
  10. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

There is not stat loss on death. There is stat loss on ressurection if you have more than 4 short terms. You have the option of waiting around logged in for them to decay however. (I personally have 100-270 shorts on my reds and rarely die, but I would just res and work skills for a day if I did.)

So once again there is stat loss here as it existed in era. This is alleviated a bit by the allowance of 3 accounts (so 15 characters, plenty of room for backup pks) and afk macroing being legal. I would not personally call it carebear.

here are the leaderboard rankings for murderers

http://www.uorenaissance.com/pvpleaderboard/6
  11. Sartan

Sartan New Member

I think we'd be a better fit for something like a Siege Perilious rule set of sorts. None of them would come with stat loss. Thanks anyway for the answers fellas. Best of luck to you.
  12. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

Good luck lol.
  13. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

There's probably a half-dozen ways to pvp on this shard that don't involve stat loss, and only one that does.

In any case, I think this might be the first instance I've seen of stat loss actually scaring someone away from a shard.
  14. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

You want siege rules, and got sick of care bear implementations, but don't want stat loss??? What am I missing here? NOT having stat loss is more on the care bear side you keep referring to, as it involves much less risk for murderers. You can easily join factions, or guild wars, if you want to avoid stat loss. It would be great to have 20 active pvpers, jump on board, but you come here talking about other games and servers, and only intend to stay temporarily, so whatever.

Good luck finding an active pvp community for what you're seeking.
    Blaise and Gozinya like this.
  15. Sartan

Sartan New Member

Stat loss is carebear. At least it was considered such back in my days of UO. It's what ran off all the good and active pvpers from the original UO before there was a Seige shard. Seige(at least when I was there) didn't have stat loss for that reason. Factions were created on regular shards for those few that wanted to pvp, but wanted to do it on their terms. Not get jumped while mining or transporting goods from the bank. We prefer open world pvp anytime with no stat loss for any reason.

I respect the shard you guys play on and I know it serves to give players that enjoy it's ruleset play style somewhere to play. Everyone is different. I appreciate you all taking time to answer our questions.
  16. Gideon Jura

Blaise likes this.
  17. Aya

Aya Active Member

Actually, Trammel was considered carebear...that was when the term was used in UO orginally. Siege Perilous came out roughly 6 months after the release of Trammel. Stat-loss did not run off the the active PvPers of UO during that time, it was the introduction of a rule set/land that there was no non-consensual PvP. There was in effect no one to fight or kill. Order/Chaos nope only in Felucca, that went away as well...Stat loss was released during the introduction of T2A which also was at least a year before the release of Trammel.

Siege Perilous was not considered not carebear because of the fact there was no stat loss...it was because it was a completely Felucca ruleset (the only one available other than Mugen (which was an Asian shard that I believe was released later). Reds could go freely into town..blah, blah...

Factions were released roughly 1 year after the introduction of Trammel. This was to hopefully offset the fact that almost no one fought anymore and Felucca was a ghost town. At this time they did away with stat loss and actually offered Murder count forgiveness when joining a faction. Meaning even if you had 5k of counts they went away and you became blue.

Being a faction red on Siege was amazingly fun...however, that is a whole different conversation.
    Halabinder and Gideon Jura like this.
  18. Pax Romain

Pax Romain Well-Known Member

A couple of thoughts on this whole "All the good PvPers left when statloss hit, then returned to Zion -- err, I mean Siege" storyline:

1.) It is humorous to me that you believe statloss ran off all the good PvPers when statloss was implemented in 1998. Mages running around in full plate armor PKing clueless newbs on 28k dial-up modems does not exactly invoke memories of high-octane PvP in my mind, however nostalgic you may be for Ye Old Tyme PKing. PvP did not become that skilled until 1999, when the 7x hally mage era started and action shifted to consensual guild wars.

2.) Trammel's introduction was seen as the great "carebear" sin, not statloss. That's not to say PvPers liked statloss -- they didn't obviously -- but it was the 100% safe zones that warped the risk-reward balance. There's no trammel here and there's plenty of PK action. Statloss is barely a deterrent given the low risk of dying and the rate of skill gain here.

3.) Siege was a hardcore shard. That does not mean PvP on Siege was hardcore. I had access to a Siege account during all of UO:R and there was nothing better about its PvP scene compared to other major shards. The main reason PvPers from other shards didn't play SP is because skill gain under RoT sucked.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    Halabinder and Blaise like this.
  19. Sartan

Sartan New Member

Stat loss did run off most of the pvpers and entire pvp guilds that had been around for the entire first year and many for nearly a year of beta. You're right about trammel. That was the nail in the coffin for those that remained. Seige saved many, but not all. The best pvp I've seen in the game was on Seige. I played on it for a couple of years. When I took a GM position with OSI, I could keep my account, but could never play on them while in that position.

I can tell you that the changes that they implemented(stat loss and trammel) were later regretted by OSI. It was due to the minority screaming too loudly. While they lost 'some' due to open world pvp, it's nothing compared to what they lost with stat loss and then trammel.
    I'm not here to argue or disrespect any of you on your home forums. My intent was just to feel it out. Thanks again for everything.
    Aya and Mes like this.
  20. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

Your times are way off!

Siege Perilous is a special ruleset shard that launched on July 15, 1999.
      • Ultima Online: Renaissance (4 May 2000) doubled the size of the world, as there were literally two copies of it. The worlds were called Felucca and Trammel, after the two moons in Ultima's Britannia world. The Trammel world did not allow player killing and was geared towards fighting monsters. Felucca also adopted a darker, more foreboding look and kept its player vs player roots.
    UOR was rolled out slowly, with that series of events and back story. Trammel and factions were there on test center even before it was rolled out, they were go pretty much right away.

Also: Siege was up way before that I believe as I started there the weekend after it went up.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
    Aya likes this.