A Lesson in ...

Discussion in 'The Salty Dog Tavern' started by Oni Neaufire, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Oni Neaufire

Oni Neaufire Well-Known Member

"Indomitable," i thought as I watched Shadbak smash her way through the undead as we began our descent into the Khaldun caverns. She was dispatching the foul creatures with such ease. She has been my closest and best friend since I came to this strange land. We have traveled much together across this mysterious and beautiful realm. We have stood together to battle the fiercest of foes and spent many joyous times around the campfire with other comrades-in-arms also.
    On this particular day, she volunteered to join me on a training lesson for a young squire named Spethas Rising. He is a valiant, but albeit brash-at-times warrior.He sometimes walks in where angels fear to tread.
    As we traveled deeper into the caverns, I noticed the adversaries were become more numerous and more powerful. I was now lending some aid to the expedition, although it was not a major occupation of my time or energies. I was still able to observe the masterful strokes of Shadbk and the spirited slashing of Spethas. As we neared a columned doorway, I began to sense a tremendous evil. I knew Shad, as I am apt to call her could sense it also. I saw her lean forward to calm her mount, Kosloe, and also she paused for a moment to gather herself. She reached out and grabbed Spethas' mount's bridle, and the horse came to an abrupt halt. "Karful ummie," was all I heard her say to the young squire in her broken orchish speech. From my vantage point, I saw a wave of apprehension come over the young warrior's face. "Can I even hurt them with my weapon?" His voice was low and, I barely heard it. I stepped up beside him and reassured him his blade would be effective. A broad smile began to creep in over his face. I could see him tighten his grip on his weapon. Shad tightened her helm strap. Her mace was now glowing in the dark cavern. It was a heavenly light. The gloom and despair that was being resonated through the dark corridors was being pushed back by the light. I added some of my own magical light to enhance the effect of Shad's glowing mace. "We have naught to fear of the darkness," I exclaimed loudly as I rode forward and cast a powerful enchantment on our party. Shad and Spethas charged forward. The ancient evil came into view, it was an ancient lich. An evil aura was all about it. Shad's glowing mace struck first, and the lich was stunned for a moment. Spehtas' blade struck as magical energy exploded from my hands and hit the lich. The evil being struck back with great fury. Spethas and Shad were hit hard, but the effect of my enchantment held. I saw Shad's silver mace rise quickly up and just as quickly came crashing back down on the lich. Flames and fire erupted all around the two warriors. I was now only able to help by protecting the two from certain death. The lich was unleashing great amounts of energy on Spethas in particular.He was swinging wildly at the evil creature. I could see Shad's shield fall to the ground quickly, and lend her aid to keep the young warrior alive. She was still striking the lich with her glowing mace. The dark one was taking a terrible beating, and I could sense we were close to vanquishing it. One last time, the lich tried to destroy Spethas. A tremendous blast shot forth, and struck the young warrior. He was engulfed in flames. I saw his blade rise up, Shad's mace was crashing down, and my curing spell doused the flames. The end of the lich was impressive as the combined blows of the two warriors felled the ancient evil The rewards of staying together and helping each other are profound. Oni Neaufire_10-3_20.03.jpg Oni Neaufire_10-3_20.27.jpg Oni Neaufire_10-3_20.37.jpg Oni Neaufire_10-3_20.30-3.jpg