A noble adventure

Discussion in 'The Salty Dog Tavern' started by Anybody, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Anybody

Anybody New Member

This tale starts out as normal as any other, just a man preparing for an evening meal. There I was re-arranging the furniture in my home setting up room for dinner with my friend, making mundane decisions about tablecloths. Then to my surprise a great sound pierces the silence, the earth trembles and birds take flight as the horn sounds and vibrates all manner of things. I had never heard such a sound before, and I will admit to being shaken by the explosive sound, which was louder than any storm I had ever heard. I asked myself "what could be causing this sound? is it a warning? or a call?". The questions were of little importance, as I knew for the safety of myself and my kin that I would need to investigate. I quickly saddled my horse, picked up my tambourine, and gathered my reagents into a bag. Just as quickly as that sound interrupted the still air I was off. My home is on the outskirts of Skara Brae, however being new to these lands I traveled along the road towards my destination. I proceeded west along the road towards Britain lands, and then south from there, towards the unknown. After about a half days travel I ended up near the source of this mysterious sound, and there in front of me along the road was an outpost. I quickly stopped in to the outpost to inquire if any of the guards had information about the cause of the noise, or as to why it so rudely interrupted my meal preparations. The guards were very well informed and they informed me "Tis a call young lad, for any fit of fighting". I replied "A call you say, what matter is so urgent that messengers could not be dispatched?". The guard looked away briefly, but I was able to see a brief glimmer of sadness in his eyes before his head was no longer in view. He motioned for me to sit and poured me a drink. The guard explained how the sound was coming from the shrine of spirituality, and how a group of brave travelers had gathered there. "Gathered there, to what end?" I asked, "The order of Paws has gathered information about the evil spreading through our lands, and are dispatching any that are willing to take up quests" was his reply. I asked this guard "why then are you here instead of lending yourself to those in need?". The guard replied solemnly that he wished for nothing else than to be lending aid, as indeed his village of Yew was ransacked by brigands, however he is pledged to Lord British's army and must continue his duties. I could tell this was a good man in front of me, and I vowed to him that I would venture to the Paws, and complete any quest required to bring him back news of his family.

I ventured west towards this town created by the order of Paws, and was greeted by two members of this order named Jupiter and Qamra as well as a knight of The Grand Council. Friendly greetings were exchanged as indeed I was raised properly, however I was most eager to undertake these quests. I quickly spoke in detail with Qamra who as it turns out was just as eager to send me off on a quest as I was willing. Qamra handed me two books in which I would find the details of my quests, as well as a torch and explained that I would do well to hold on to it tightly as my quest would surely take me to somewhere I would have need of it. So there I was surrounded by three strangers while juggling two books and a torch. I tucked the torch away in my backpack and began to read the first book. Another adventurer had taken up a quest and reclaimed gold from some brigands, and I was instructed to travel to Yew and return this gold to the rightful owners. To Yew!? there was no doubt about it.. this quest was fate, the beginning to the story of Stalwart the bard. I was informed that the mages of the order of Paws had prepared a runic library with which I could travel to any city quicker than an arrow could hit a tree. Now an expert mage I am not, I did however possess the necessary knowledge to make use of these portals, but as I was new to the lands it would be better to ride to the city. Just like that I took up on the road again, north towards Britain and then North West again towards Yew. Now I knew from the details in the book that the hard work was done, and travelling on the roads I had assumed there would not be much danger involved in this quest. As expected I had arrived in Yew without a scratch and began handing out the gold, and I will admit being moved by the guards story I did bolster the pile of gold for his wife a little with my own. This however is where the true adventure began, as I was returning from Yew I decided I should take a shortcut through the forest and over the mountain. I was not however prepared for what took place next, there I was in the dark staring at an impassible mountain being surrounded by rat men. I looked all around and noticed a cave set into the mountain, I said to myself "aha, there it is, the path through the mountain". I nudged my horses hind quarters with my foot and we were off running from the rat men in to the cave. This cave did not turn out to be the refuge I sought however, as the cave was not a passage, no this cave was a trap designed by the orcs to pray on those who assumed as foolishly as I did about the passage. I could not make this conclusion until I had investigated the cave however, so there I was surrounded by orcs. I began playing music to insight enough frenzy to cause the orcs to attack their kin, whilst simultaneously throwing lightning bolts and calling for the aid of bladed spirits. I came upon a dead end and decided to take my new found spoils of war, to leave this cave, and to continue on the safety of the road this time. I dropped of the gold at my house before continuing back to the shrine to report on the completion of the first quest, as well as to thank Qamra for the torch as it did indeed come in handy in the orc cave.

At this point I was a little tired, but I still had that second book. I quickly read this book that detailed a threat in the spiritwoods. This threat was an infection or a plague perhaps so vile that it could infect the very trees. It was written that these infected trees had been granted a consciousness, and were actively attacking travelers and spreading their infection to other trees. My quest was to travel to this place, dispatch with a fair number of these blighted trees and bring back 100 samples of their roots for testing. I took to the roads again, and remembering my previous mistake I stuck to the roads. This turned out to be a mistake however as I had traveled far past my destination and had not been aware. So I returned to the shrine and followed the instruction of the book anew and to the letter. As I went north this time I did not restrict myself to the safety of the roads, and searched the forests for this corruption. After two nights of searching I was still unable to find these forests, but fate intervened again and aided me on my journey. There to the north was a tower, and yes there was a man on that tower who took notice of my aimless wandering through the forest. This man approached me and I quickly yammered out "sir, can you help me?" fearing that he would ride past and take no notice should I have waited. "Yes, what can I help you with" he replied, "I am searching for a forest so corrupted by evil that the trees are known to attack travelers" I explained. "I have not seen such creatures in these parts" he said, "I do however know of such a place where they do exist" he added. Perfect what are the chances that I would run in to the exact person I needed to find to complete this quest? "Wait here, I will summon my brother who is adept in tracking to assist you" he said, and then quickly added "he is known to be a murderer, but fear not my brother will not injure you this day". Now I was a little bit uneasy I must admit as the prospect of waiting for a potential murderer to assist me, but I put that behind me and waited knowing that I could not complete the quest on my own. His brother arrived after what only seemed like minutes, and a portal was opened, potentially leading to the place I seek, potentially to my death. I decided to put my trust in this man however and stepped through the portal, this portal lead to a path through yet another mountain. We travelled along this path I began to look around, before I could move however my head started spinning and I felt ill. Oh no, has the murderer taken me somewhere to dispatch with me I wondered. I began to recite "An Nox" to purge this sudden unease from my body and looked around for the source. The murderer? no he was standing there watching me with concern, so who then? That was when I saw it, a massive dark tree, flailing its branches mimicking the motions of a sorcerer. I knew I had to look around for help to defeat this creature, I began to play my tambourine and search for another creature to aid me. I spotted an Ettin and began my musical manipulation. At this point my new friend had realized that I was undertaking my quest and deciding not to interfere he took his leave. "In Jux Hur Ylem" I shouted as I tried to summon a blade spirit to protect me should the Ettin fall. A blade spirit appeared in front of the tree and just as quickly disappeared. "Hmm, not good" I thought to myself, the tree being adept in magic as well was easily able to dispel the spirits. I had to think fast as the Ettin was looking worse and worse "Por Ort Grav.... Por Corp Wis" I began to shout repeatedly as I attempted to call lightning and powerful psychic blasts to attack the tree. The tree fell limply and I walked over to investigate it.. some gold, some wood. Not what I came for so I took out my dagger and scraped samples from the trees roots, I was only able to collect 5 samples however. Oh no I need 100 and each one has 5? This is going to be a long day I thought to myself. It turns out however that the order of Paws was right to be worried about this area, the trees were here in abundance. After collecting the necessary samples for the order to work on a cure for the trees, I headed back... Done with my quests I now rest and write this in my journal so if I fall I may be remembered.

If you too are seeking an adventure, head to the shrine of spirituality, begin your story and collect your rewards.
    Ragar, PaddyOBrien, RavenMagi and 2 others like this.
  2. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

This.
    Is.
    Epic!

@Alex Caember or myself will be present you with your reward for your valiant conduct and dedication to the quest!
    Ragar likes this.
  3. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

This story has been added to the oral history of Paws.

MEMORIZED!​