A perfect T hunter

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by stryker2, Aug 14, 2013.

1. stryker2

stryker2 New Member

Hello all,

I would like to have a discussion about T hunter templates and what every one feels is the best. I know there are multiple templates out there but in my opinion the best is a tamer template.

Magery
    Cartography
    Lock picking
    Taming
    Animal lore
    Vet
    (Random Skill)
    ?
    Please share your thoughts...is resit needed or can you get by without it...would mining be worth the hassle...is eval essential for any reason?
  2. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

My favorite is:

Carto
    LPing
    Magery
    Med
    Hiding
    Music
    Provo
  3. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Pirul, that's my go-to template as well. But, what are your thoughts on adding Discordance? I was reading in the docs that it passively adds what I think would be a significant increase in chance to provoke some higher-end monsters.

My thought was to put Cartography on a separate character, since they can just dig up chests and then run away or recall out.
  4. Paradigm

Paradigm Active Member

I like Pirul's post, however I chose Resist over Med. This helped me immensely when GM'n LP. I really don't see resist being optional the way these high end monsters cast.

I see a few potential problems with the tamer template:

1. This can't be your only tamer character, so you should only make this if you don't mind training up multiples.

2. GM LP took me nearly 3 weeks of heavy play. Hiding and Prov were instrumental in power gaming this. If you are hauling dragons around or camping 1 spawn it will take you 10 yrs to GM LP.

-

I have not tried the stealth/remove trap build.

I almost feel like there are a few characters here.. Maybe Pirul/My builds should just drop cartography and be dungeon pickers?

Presumably, even with dragons, you can only pick up to a certain level by yourself.. I guess it depends on the friends you will be bringing with you.

I am just thinking back to all the level 4 chests I had to grind to get GM LP and I really could not see the OP template running them fast enough. I think you would need to hold the taming skills and use hiding/invis and try to get the LP gm first.
  5. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I use a second character for treasure hunting. Reasons being:

• I don't have to train another PvM character.
    • They can fit GM Item ID into their template.
    • They don't have to grind lockpicking - they can instead use the Detect Hidden boost.

As long as you are using rune libraries, there's no reason to have mining. The runes lead directly to the chest location.
  6. stryker2

stryker2 New Member

Well I guess after reading what you have posted, I have to ask my self is it worth wasting two char slots for what could easily be accomplished in one toon or is there a benefit I am missing. I see the total benefit of adding Provo, creating a bad ass tamer who doesn't have to heal pets near as much and could probably rock a champ spawn alone but( has to have a support char to run tmaps).....as far as a t hunter I seen no real benefit ...Mag, lock picking, taming, lore, cart, med(random skill) still seems to stand out to me just due to the fact that I can still have 2 utilities on one toon...T hunting(my primary) and taming to hunt pretty much any were I want as far as pvm goes. Is there a weakness to this combo that I may be missing?(Btw thank you guys for your input)
  7. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Trust me, when you try to rock a Level 6 solo, you're gonna want two chars. While I find the Tamer/Carto to be a noble idea and potentially successful, it will never compare to having a Tamer/Bard and a Carto/Bard.

Park the tamer in the wings, pop the chest with the carto and if you're lucky, hide. You have like a 1:100 chance of hiding when popping an L6, unless you're really damn good with that hide key.

Level 6 chests spawn a multitude of Ancient Wyrms, Shadow Wyrms, Balrons, etc etc. If you don't want to deal with losing your tames every time you do a chest, the two character method is best.

Also, there's 15 character slots. Two slots that are still very useful for other things on their own, used in concert, is not a waste. :)
  8. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

I also use 2 chars with the t-hunter just to open the chests.

100 Cartography
    100 Lockpicking
    100 Hiding
    100 Stealth
    100 Item Id
    100 Stealing - for town rare chests
    100 Detect Hidden - till LP is GM
  9. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

You get 15 characters over 3 accounts here. How many possible builds could a person need that using 2 chars for t hunting would be too much?
  10. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

There have been many issues brought up, and here's my $0.02:

(1) Templates are dynamic.
    When I start my t-hunter, I start with 50 carto and 50 magery. I then work magery, med, hiding, stealth, and LPing up to 95. When I'm GM at those skills (95 LPing), I will move onto my Gate/hide/stealth/lockpick/move 1 tile back/open trap/loot chest/recall out way of working lockpicking. It worked GREAT for me, and allowed me to GM LPing incredibly fast. After GMing LPing, I dropped stealth and raised Music, Provo and Carto. The only reason I like med is because the speed at which you can recover mana after gating/EVing, or after you mana dump the last monster and want to gate your precious loot out, but it is merely a convinience thing.

(2) Discordance.
    I have 1 char with disco, and I LOVE IT!! It might be worth it to sacrifice med for disco and get (a) the sweet provo bonus and (b) the stat/skill reduction on mobs.

(3) On using several chars on one map.
    It's certainly an option to do this, however I am too clumsy and in my attempt to control 2 chars, both end up dead. If you want to solo lvl 6's, well then...good luck!! You'll definitely need more than one char for this, and a provo/disco/tamer might be your best option as a support char. Lvl 5's can be soloed relatively easy with the template I suggested (or a variation including disco instead of med).

(4) Additional info
    For more info on T-Hunting, check out my guide.
  11. Spooner

Spooner Active Member

My t-hunter is very unorthodox because I use it to just get everything up and clean up with my bard or tamer.

Lockpicking
    Cartography
    Fishing
    Item ID
    Magery
    Music
    Peace
  12. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

This is no longer required. You can GM lockpicking by using 3 boxes 50/95/GM. (Detect hidden can also help)
  13. Basoosh

Whoa - GM chests always only got me to 95 lockpicking skill. Did this get stealth changed?
  14. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Was just going to say that the 2 LPers I have got only to 95 with GM/GM boxes
  15. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

3 patches ago:
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1910
  16. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Uhhhh, I think I am lacking in reading comprehension today, but I don't see it. The patch changed how DH helped lockpicking, but I didn't see how a GM/GM box could take you to GM Lockpicking. Could you point it out please?
  17. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Upgrayedd, is there a simple way to get lockpicking from 95 to GM?
  18. stryker2

stryker2 New Member

Well that sums it up. I did not know that there were lvl 6 tmaps on this shard...I was under the assumption that lvl 5 was max. Now the 2 chars makes sense.
  19. stryker2

stryker2 New Member

So I am thinking of doing the folowing,
    Toon 1-
    Margery
    Taming
    Lore
    Vet
    Musicianship
    Discord
    Provo
    -I feel that med and resist are not needed as I can simply hide my self and have the Tames start the fight and healing should be done via vet. Discord would allow for higher end chest spawns to be weakened a significant amount.

Toon 2-

Cartagrophy
    Lock picking
    Remove trap
    Magery
    Mining
    -This toon would be in sole support of the tamer for t hunting. Inscribe thrown in there for magic reflect cast on the tamer since I am now aware that there are lvl 6 maps. I realize that remove trap is not needed as telekinesis can do the job...but meh.
  20. Basoosh

Template 1 is my exact PvM template :) Though I miss Mediation a lot. I love resolving arguments. For lvl 5+ chests, you kind of have to break up the spawn and try to pull the monsters 1 or 2 at a time, so Resist can still be useful.

You really only need Hiding, Lockpicking, and Cartography on your Treasure Hunter. I would highly suggest Item ID too. Anything else is pretty much just a bonus. Magic Reflect can only be cast on yourself, so I don't think Inscription is going to do what you want it to. Since it's so expensive to train, I'd save it for a PvP template instead. Telekenesis spell will disarm all traps too, so no need to train Remove Trap unless you're a glutton for punishment. I've heard it's a pain to train, but have never tried myself.