Abolish commanding boats with Ghosts?!

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by BlackEye, Apr 9, 2016.

Should ghosts be able to give boat commands?

1. Yes.

56.5%
  2. No.

19.6%
  3. It makes zero sense, but still yes, because I like the convenience in the case I die.

15.2%
  4. No. Hell no, away with the ghost whispering tillermen.

10.9%
  5. Ghost ship was a pretty bad ass movie back then!

8.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Dear UORers,
    right now, all tillerrmen have learned spirit speaking in elementary school and accept commands of ghosts...

This is pretty relevant for pirates for example, as they have to box in ships even after killing all fishers. Imagine PKs had to box in their victim's corpses, because player ghosts could loot their own corpses and run away. Sounds like crap, eh? Apart from that, pirates already can't loot a boat without heavy mistakes of the fishers. So, no need for extra convenience and safety, in my opinion.

Disabling ghost commands also decreases the chance of possible griefing between players. Right now, if a hostile player somehow gets on the ship, but is killed by the fishers (bravo!), he could still grief the fishers infinitely as ghost until Staff intervenes.

Thx for reading. Don't forget the poll! Multiple choices possible here.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  2. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Heh, it's a weird gray area. There's the potential for griefing, but if I go sailing and die, Help->Stuck shouldn't be my only recourse
  3. BlackEye

Ah yes, it would make life harder for fishers that use three accounts AND die on all accounts. I have to admit, I only thought about pvp scenarios.

But you realize how it was on OSI? And you had only one account back then... plus, honestly, every other way of earning cash here faces some risk, why not fishers? There really is zero risk for fishers on this shard. You would have to lose connection and the bodies had to decay or something like that. Even tamers risk more right now, when they farm in dungeons.

Players here still could use,
    1) less than 3 accounts, keeping one account for the life saving ready,
    2) use the stuck option,
    3) log out, and relog after 5 min on another toon to recover
    4) ask friends to help out
    5) use the sacrifice virtue for self-rezzing (oh yeah!)
    6) dont die on three accounts (really...)
  4. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    Too Old For This ... and Hydrox like this.
  5. newme

newme Well-Known Member

Ghosts have always been able to command ships. Although these suggestions might seem more logical, to some, pkers and such are facing the same issues with ghosts commanding ships as they always have, so I don't see the need to change it.
    Flip side is, a player dies at sea, desperatly trying to get his/her boat to shore , wat
  6. BlackEye

Sorry newme, but I dont understand SHIT anything. What's your point or thoughts? I really cant grasp it and I am totally without ill intentions.
  7. Rabbit

Rabbit Member

Ghosts should be able to command boats. Otherwise if you die on a boat you are just forced to stuck option, if it is even available. If you have used your stuck options for the day already, what the heck are you going to do, wait 24 hours for your character to receive more?
  8. BlackEye

Have you ever used up your stuck options for a day? I wasnt able to use them up so far. And I definitely used it more often than the officially mentioned, what, three times?

What's with all that whining? Players have 3 (!) accounts available with each 5 toons (!). Why would it be so hard to recover a boat? I was able to name 5 methods at least, how to recover your stuff as a fisher or how to prevent that happening. And I didnt invest much time to think about it...

Why do fishers need an easy recovery method in comparison to all the other folks out there? Is that all you are able to think of as solution, 'sail my boat as a ghost away to the shore'?

So to sum it up: The only argument I heard so far FOR commanding boats as ghosts is, because fishers would have a harder time when trying to recover.
    While on the other side
    - boat mechanics here already prevent ANY looting of boats,
    - player corpses don't decay within the normal 5 minutes, it takes like 2 server safes I think,
    - any incentive to pirate-PK on the ocean is taken away and it becomes very hard to even try to check the planks, as ghosts just sail their boats away
    - and finally, it makes zero sense logically, that ghosts can command boats. Logic has very often been an argument when it came to changes of mechanics, e.g. when expanding the cargo hold of boats.
    - What's next? Why not allow tamers to command their pets as ghost then? It would help so much in recovering and one could safe the pets. All hail easy-mode gameplay.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    Hydrox likes this.
  9. BlackEye

The fishers here could at least admit that this mechanic makes zero sense and is trammel easy-mode gameplay by choosing the poll option "It makes zero sense, but still yes, because I like the convenience in the case I die."
  10. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  11. BlackEye

Ha. The ship models.... mhhhh... yes yes yes....hummm.... FU! You are right.

Apart from that, fishers aren't safe. You can kill them. But you cant loot them normally. And to even try it properly you need to box them in with other ships. That's crappy mechanics.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  12. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

Is it possible by any means to enter one's boat after you kill him with the plant locked?
  13. Rabbit

Rabbit Member

No, hence the whole thing is moot (unless the ghost opens the plank).
  14. BlackEye

It's 100% safe without mistakes from the boat owners. Rather than opening a plank, the ghost will just sail away as we know.
  15. Heretic

So... the PK wouldn't be able to loot anyways, we are just trying to force an avoidable use of the stuck system or a 2/3 account dynamics?

I vote against the 2/3 account dynamics and against the use of stuck system. My vote is Yes then.

Actually I think we should discuss the use of the stuck system for only... you know... when you are... stuck?
  16. BlackEye

You know, you can force players to make mistakes, e.g. with fire and poison fields... one step on the wrong tile, and they are lootable. Assuming they dont sail away as ghosts.

Okay, but this poll shows the mentality of fishers around here...

Tell you what, UO:R! I will simply box your stupid fisher boats in and leave the boxes. You can abuse the stuck function for your fishers, and take the long and hard way to recover your boats. No mercy from my side. Let's see, when the first complaints to Staff arrive because of somebody 'griefing' fishers with boxes.
  17. Heretic

Well, be careful. If precedent is anything, you don't want to do that: http://uorforum.com/threads/logged-into-this-what-to-do-now.12683/
  18. BlackEye

Man, how did I ever miss this thread? I just read the first page so far, but it's rather strengthening my wish to box up some trammel fishers after smashing their heads with fishing poles.
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  19. Heretic

20. BlackEye