about the shard

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by grizzly, May 13, 2013.

1. grizzly

grizzly New Member

I really think this could be a great shard. the problem is there are current issues that need to addressed. all pets need to be bonded, with the rampant pking going on, all pets need to be bonded so a person does not spend two hours plus taming a pet to be able to continue to play. the current pk on this server loves to kill, or drag your pet to mobs so that they kill them. one wyrms and dragons are still casting while peaced and para'd.
    my feeling are that if pking is allowed then pet boding for all pets should be allowed as a balance.
    don't even get me started with the issues of training taming to gm, with all the pks that are camping the training spots.
  2. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

Welcome to UOR. I suspect that if you hang around some veteran tamers here, they might help you understand how things work.

Pet bonding is a nice perk, but it's not a game changer. Allowing all pets to be bonded is a massive step towards Trammel, and one that's completely unnecessary. If we're going to bond all pets, we might as well start issuing skill balls and weapon insurance too.

What is this "rampant pking" you speak of? Yes, hunting in hot spots carries some risk; that's the way it ought to be.

But this notion that "all the pks that are camping the training spots" is completely unfounded. I just finished off a new tamer/bard using all publicly available spawn. I never had any issue. But even if this was the fantasy world you describe with "rampant pking", it wouldn't be a big deal--training taming is mostly afk work and you're risking very little, so there's not much reward for the pk.
    Kiryana likes this.
  3. napo

napo Well-Known Member

If you aren't using para fields to tame, they will cut down on the time and danger involved with taming new pets.
  4. grizzly

grizzly New Member

sorry guys but none of the above has been my experience.
  5. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

PKers set a bit of balance on the shard to prevent tamers from just farming gold like crazy. I have been against bonding and my main is a tamer. I dont think you will really benefit from bonded pets, if you head right back out you will just put yourself at risk again. Change up your routine that is what they tell us in the military for anti-terrorism training anyway. hehe
  6. grizzly

grizzly New Member

well wolver I spent 20 years in the military air force afosi terrorist task force. I don't need to deal with that in a game now.
  7. grizzly

grizzly New Member

and yes you do benefit from bonded pets. the current crop of pk guilds are now camping the pet taming spots while other guild members are pking you then killing your pets. we seem to have developed a whole new crew of pks , that are not in it for the pvp but for the griefing. so with bonded pets I could avoid what they are doing entirely, use a pet ball to retrieve my dead pets , get on my other character to craft a bit, change up my hunting spot and hopefully avoid them for a bit. currently the way the guild is working you cannot do that.
  8. grizzly

grizzly New Member

why do you think hate crime quit it wasn't about the pvp, it was about the griefing going on, he loved the pvp but didn't love the griefing.
    unfortunately it might be the same for me.
  9. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

PKs leave because there is nobody to kill and Blues leave because they get killed too much, vicious circle of life. I find it surprising, every PK talks about being so honorable and noble.
  10. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Taming is the most profitable template on the shard. If it were any easier, it would be ridiculous. I would trade 3 control slots for one more bonded pet though.

Taming must remain challenging (see also: breakable footstools) to make it worth the effort to GM it. There are still various methods to train in safety, most of which require teamwork or coordination of some sort.
  11. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

lol, no.
  12. grizzly

grizzly New Member

well blaise you know very well I don't use the footstools. I do it the hard way. I am just saying that if pkers can camp the taming spots for dragons and wyrms while their buddies hunt the others in tandem, you need to have all pets be bondable to even it out. yes I would be more then happy to have the original Osi's 5 slots for pets instead of this bulls**t hybrid off the wall 8 slots and be able to bond. I think that is more then a fair trade off.
  13. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

At a core level, I would have 0 Bonding at all if it were my way. If there must be bonding, limitations are desired. I find myself trying to decide which candy a** thing I would prefer more because some things just are going to be here whether I like it or not. Bonding is one of them and considering bonding will stay, I would prefer there be fewer controls and ability to bond two pets only.

I don't tame alone anymore and only have a handful of times. Dying happens, pack light, leave important things (runebooks) in the bank and only bring the essentials.
  14. grizzly

grizzly New Member

I do pack light blaize but unlike yourself I am not a kid with a lot of down time, I have responsibilities. I have children to take care of , a house to take care of etc. my play time and down time is not that long so it is valuable, so when griefers come along and ruin it, it takes a lot out of the way for my enjoyment. I play to have fun and relax after taking care of the kids, the house and my wife. I am sorry that you are still to young to understand that.
  15. Phyze

Phyze Member

I personally don't think pet bonding will solve the problem of PKs you speak of. A tamer would be a prize for a PK as they are dangerous when skilled and played defensively.

Maybe I've been crafting too much lately but I don't see the rampant PKing - the pvp leaderboards show a handful of standards and 1 murder this week.. Am I missing something?

Like any game, there is time investment that goes into it to GM a skill, farm cash or to pvp, etc.. I work full time and am doing part time graduate degree. I'm not on all day/everyday but I don't expect to do end game activities without putting forth effort first or without being killed or griefed. I think that is part of the excitement of this shard.
  16. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

Even if all pets were able to be bonded, I can't see how this would be an effective alternative to re-taming lost pets, there is a -10% skill-loss to all skills for any bonded pet upon resurrection. The time spent re-taming pets will equally offset the time required to train their skills back to a respectable level, even a couple deaths to a bonded pet would render its skills very far below that of a fresh tamed unit.
  17. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Thanks for making assumptions. In short, I'm just going to get this out there. I'm not certain that is the shard for you. As I understand it, it does not and will not ever cater to those who can't 'take the heat' and cope with loss. You claim much in regards to your real life that would leave me to believe you can handle some serious sh**.

Let me just share with you, because clearly, sharing is caring. I'm a single father who works full time, takes care of two kids over the age of 10, solo. My ACTUAL play time is sleep that I've sacrificed for my passion in gaming. I spend the vast majority of my PLAY time...helping other people play or just talking them through how to do things I didn't understand two years ago either. I just got back into UO and I am a social butterfly (more of a dragon fly with a broken wing that buzzes in your face a lot) but still, I'm not here for pixels. Some have claimed that I do this for empowerment of some nature so take that for what it's worth. I support your contributions in the armed forces and your position as a parent but want nothing to do with pander for easy play. I will practically never get behind making the game easier because I think it has gotten way too easy with Razor as it is.

Yes, grief pisses me off too. Thieves stealing my sh**, murderers killing me and taking some or all of my things. However, I have not only a sh**ton of the things they've taken, but 99.999% of the time, I certainly have the means to replace it. The odds of dying with something one of a kind on hand, is basically nil.

Remember what you had in your pack when you started? I'm not winning by having more things. I'm victorious every time I come away with a good memory of playing with my friends. Even if that good time is the silver lining on the cloud of my recent death, when friends lend a hand to get another back on their feet. You joined our guild as I recall but I don't know how often you rallied with any of us. This game is meant to be hard, such is life. If you want easy street, there are several games I could recommend but most of them would be insulting.
  18. grizzly

grizzly New Member

considering that I got slammed about 6 times while getting dry looted and my pets killed by a guild group of them, then seeing their buddies controlling dastard and ice so you cant retame, you have been missing a lot, in the past 2 weeks the shard has taken a turn for the worse imo.
  19. grizzly

grizzly New Member

sorry blaize but with that hair cut I don't see it. I know most places will not pay above minimum wage for a person that looks like yourself. clean up some and be an example for your children please! rally really blaze , I keep donating t- maps and other sundries but have yet to be invited to anything. I have had lots of help when having issues with pks and it has not come from one a-t person unfortunately.
  20. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Well I'm sorry I haven't seen your guild chats, don't see you in channel in IRC or main often really, and I was just out taming WWs selectively with another tamer the other night. We chilled there and farmed WWs until a strong one spawned and we tamed it. Timing is everything I guess and it would seem you've gotten yourself on the wrong side of a group of baddies. I don't pick fights with biker gangs personally. I'm pretty passive like that. Assume all you want about my hairstyle or lifestyle. For what it's worth, that was 7 years ago and I was making 75k a year at the time. Notice the view from the floor of a building on Powell st. overlooking the Bay Bridge. You're just showing your own age or maturity level trying to draw conclusions about things that are %1000 irelevant to the game. If you'd care to make it a trash talk thread, just say the right words and i"m sure it'll get moved. I would be pleased to waste a few more moments verbally thrashing you.

Or, if you'd care to stop getting so heated about this game, we could meet up sometime, have a beer and talk about how we can join efforts to hunt bad motherf**kers together. If we pick somewhere south of SF I bet we cold get andrehicks over too. Bart is just around the way.

I'm not that great at UO combat but f**k I know how to do a few things and the more we stick together the better. Get involved, or get owned I guess.