"Accuracy" Modifiers on ALL Weapons

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Zim, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

Simply put, I think that all accuracy mods on all weapons should increase your wesponskill instead of increasing tactics.

*Its less confusing and makes much more sense.

*This is already done with the archery weapons, it should be this way for all weapons.

*With the way combat works here (combat effectiveness??) when anyone with decent STR, Tactics, and Anatomy, they can cap on damage. This means that theyre not getting any benefit already.

One thing I think is important is (if theres even a way code wise) is to code it so that the weapon user does not have TRUE powerscroll level weaponskill. For example, if someone with GM swords is attacking someone with GM Fencing thats using a +20% weapon, they should still have a 50% chance to hit.
    This raises a decent question.

If Im using a +25% bow, when people swing on me do they have a less than 50% chance to hit me with their GM weaponskill as it is now?
    One likes this.
  2. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

That would be much more useful, especially since Tactics >100 is worthless
  3. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

The reason it is designed in this way is specifically to keep chance to hit equal across the board. Tactics applying bonus damage is logical in the way that a more accurate hit would do more damage. I think it would make much more sense to convert the 'accuracy' bonus on Archery weapons to be the same as all other melee weapons.

In that regard, the chance to hit variable based on recent movement for Archery would need to be removed. It should be removed regardless, but if such a change were made, that would make sense all around. Archery, as it stands, is lackluster because of the variable chance to hit that doesn't exist for any other weapon type. There's already a pause to shoot, which is fair, but at GM skill it should always be 50% chance versus an opponent with GM skill.
    Zyler likes this.
  4. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

I umderstand.
    It just seems like a thing, that used to be a thing, but now is not a thing, kind of thing.
    If you know what i mean.
  5. Duz-luk

Duz-luk Active Member

GM vs GM, a supremely accurate bow will net you 49% hit chance 4 tiles away, pause to shoot. Sounds pretty good actually.
  6. Duz-luk

Duz-luk Active Member

If I'm doing it right, then yes. You should be at around a 43% hit chance when struck by another GM if you carry one of those bows.

The following is what I gathered from looking at patch 31's notes:

Code:
    If 1 tile away
    Hit Chance= ( Attacker's Weapon Ability + 50 ) ÷ ( ( Defender's Weapon Ability + 50 ) x 2 )
    (aka. the normal hit chance formula)
    If 2 or more tiles away
    Hit Chance= ( Attacker's Weapon Ability + 50 ) ÷ ( ( ( ( Tile Distance * Movement Modifier ) + ( Defender's Weapon Ability * .33 ) ) + 50 ) * 2 )
    Movement Modifier is 24 if you've moved recently, 12 if you've been standing still for at least .75 seconds.
  7. napo

napo Well-Known Member

Not era accurate.

The idea behind accuracy giving tactics is that the accurate weapon is better at stabbing the right places. Like the anatomy, the idea with tactics is that it's a skill all about stabbing in the right places. That's why an accurate weapon increases tactics.
    Additionally, weapons giving higher hit rates would break the game by being too strong an advantage over those with the normal hit rates. The level of accuracy of the weapon would trump all over modifiers.
  8. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

I get what youre saying, and I understand what its meant to be.
    Not everything here is "era accurate" either. Lumberjacking, the bonding system, 8 followers instead of 5, instanced treasure maps, not being able to peace peoples pets, boss monsters... exc.
    I get what you are saying too. I just dont understand why you think it would be so wtfkerpwn overpowered. Does anyone REALLY use GM weapons here?

( 125 + 50 ) ÷ ( ( 100 + 50 ) x 2 ) = .583333

even at +25 thats an 8.3%. Not exactly game breaking. If it WAS, then archers would be overpowered running around with +25% archery bows and being impossible to hit.

I do agree that its a bit much for something as simple as a weapon mod. One of the things I love about this game is that its skill based and not gear based. I mean, its not WoW or anything... ;) I propose that since there are 5 levels of weapon enhancements, then the max could be +5%.

With the above formula that would be a 1.6% increase to hit. Thats something, but nothing too crazy.
    Beethoven likes this.
  9. Duz-luk

Duz-luk Active Member

Agreed that allowing a - or +8% hit chance in a GM vs GM scenario is not OP. However, the current method of boosting tactics affords a much better damage return because tactics effects a weapon's base damage, which is calculated before strength and anatomy bonuses are applied. So in that regard the 8%hitchance is not as great as the current method.

What's cool about the archery hit chance formula is if it needs to be adjusted, all you have to do is change its movement modifiers (called "rangemod" in patch notes). SO instead of 12 and 24, something like 10 and 22 would make them hit more often.
  10. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

I agree that if it worked as intended, i wouldnt have even made a post.

The way it is now, assuming gm skills and about 80 str, the modifier does nothing because you hit the cap.
  11. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

From what I understand, that cap will be removed in an upcoming patch. Can't say for sure though, so we'll just have to wait and see.
    One and Beethoven like this.
  12. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

Thats awesome! :)
  13. Duz-luk

Duz-luk Active Member

I didn't know there were this many parts in calculating weapon damages here. I'm just learning about this CA combat ability thing now. Reading 31's patch notes, it looks like the only bonuses increasing a weapons standard min/max hit range are the magical damage modifier, lumberjack bonuses, and exceptional quality status. How CA plays into this, I would only assume it is set to top damage out at exactly the standard min/max hit of a weapon when its at 100%, or the cap as you mentioned. I would like to use the combat log book on the test server when it becomes available again to test how it works and what can be toggled in terms of str, anatomy, and tactics to alter CA value.
  14. Duz-luk

Duz-luk Active Member

If my assumptions are correct, the main benefit of the current modifier would be to be able to decrease tactics on any character template that uses melee weapons. In toggling the three skills/stat to achieve 100% CA, you would want to leave strength and anatomy alone as they have much more utility than tactics (for instance. hp pool, healing amount, defensive wrestling). So reducing tactics on your skill list is the primary go to skill for skill reduction. It's pretty much just saying, "here's 25 free skill points, use them wisely."