AFK Gump? Please at least try to read before voting, this is why we ended up with Trump

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Poogoblin, Jan 14, 2018.

Should IDOC rules be changed eg. AFK gump for clicking house signs repeatedly or random IDOC timer

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    57.9%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    42.1%
  1. Poogoblin

Poogoblin Active Member
    UO:R Donor

Normally I love IDOCing on shards, but have found it to simply be fairly prohibitive because of a select few (won't name names but one currently makes a good bit doing this) that have a constant Bot running that cycles through GWs checking timers.
    A simple fix would seem to be:

A. Bring the AFK gump from clicking on signs (I mean if someone is actually attending doing this than swell and good on them for the dedication), we already have the AFK gump when trying to place a house over and over, so why not?

B. Make the IDOC timer random, say between 14-20 hours vs a solid 17. This would be my choice of solution but this is more of a nostalgia personal preference thing on my end.

Honestly, I'd be interested in hearing a solid argument against option "A". It also seems option "A" would be fairly easy to implement

Made a simple "yes"/"no" poll instead of sneaking my biased views into the actual poll. Maybe this is just a me thing, since I refuse to play that way, but talking to a few others they seem to feel the same way
    One likes this.
  2. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

edit:

wrote a bunch of stuff
    remembered I've written it in the same past 20 threads on this topic

g'luck
    Orion GM BD, BlackEye, One and 2 others like this.
  3. Holden

Holden Well-Known Member

Hah we need a fresh drama thread. Its not a new topic but this should do. *Watches thread*
    One and wylwrk like this.
  4. Poogoblin

Poogoblin Active Member

Fair enough, I'm more interested in fixing the issue with people Botting GWs more than anything else. If someone wants to organically recall through GWs all day and time it, good for them....currently that's not what is happening.

As mentioned currently there is a house placing AFK gump, I think a sign checking AFK gump is just as needed
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    One likes this.
  5. binlagin

binlagin Active Member

As someone who has invested copious amounts of time writing code, to build recall scripts... I agree 100%... this needs an AFK check.

I don't think this is going to change... especially once you understand who currently is doing it and their past/current relationships.
    Orange, SativaGreen, BlackEye and 4 others like this.
  6. Poogoblin

Poogoblin Active Member

I know one of the two people, and it's not hard to figure out when you look at who regularly is selling housing/prime housing spots. I have been on and off the shard due to RL and don't know the personal relationships of people, but interesting plot twist
  7. Poogoblin

Poogoblin Active Member

For those voting no, anyone have a Reason for there not having an AFK gump on repeated sign clicking?
  8. Spankrox

Spankrox Active Member

But ghosting is perfectly fine even though Tela specifically says it isn't huh boys? :rolleyes:
  9. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

overland yes
    dungeons no

this has been stated clearly numerous times
  10. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Search is your friend.

But I’d like to just use 2 quotes to sum up the answer to a).

No AFK gump because:
    Orion GM BD likes this.
  11. Poogoblin

Poogoblin Active Member

However there is a Gump for placing a house, despite plenty of open land.... Last I checked this wasn't a resource either.
  12. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    jumpman, wylwrk and Poogoblin like this.
  13. Poogoblin

Poogoblin Active Member

TIL this is a thing..... SAD!
    Gideon Jura likes this.
  14. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Well, there’s an argument about capital gains (appreciation), but leaving that aside, the main reason is because you can’t effectively place a house afk with razor only, whereas you can only do that effectively using non-permitted 3rd party programs. Therefore the afk gump is a nice way of catching cheaters.
    Orion GM BD likes this.
  15. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

I don't IDOC anymore, but here's the reasoning behind my 'No' vote:

• No resources/valuables are gathered in the itemID checks, only information. The AFK check was implemented to prevent players from amassing huge amounts of wealth without being present at their screens. Gathering the loot from the IDOC is still a manual process (for the most part), requiring players to be active at the time of the drop and ready for it.
    • This will not be a huge change for the dominant IDOC'ers as they have been IDOC'ing for years across shards with multiple people/processes, it will make it slightly more difficult for them to achieve accurate timers, along with anyone else that doesn't want to stare at a sign for 2 days.
    • IDOC'ing generally attracts the more intense and item driven players due to the high reward aspect, they would likely not be impacted by this change as they work in groups around the clock, but your average player trying to IDOC and find a house spot without an entire team will have a bigger impact as they can only monitor the screen when they are active.
    Orion GM BD and gitchu1000 like this.
  16. Poogoblin

Poogoblin Active Member

On point two, they would have to at least legit be at the kb.... Im not sure "it wouldn't be enough to combat the issue" is a reason to not change something. But I suppose that's a matter of opinion

Your third point makes little sense as your new player or average player is not likely to setup this elaborate of a system.
  17. Poogoblin

Poogoblin Active Member

What? It's a simple last item last target macro with a pause, why can't razor do this?
  18. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

The point I was making is that large group IDOC'ers would be the only ones with enough resources to combat this change and keep IDOCing successfully. It would further their control of the IDOC system as now a single player looking for a spot will have to be online a lot more to compete.

Sure you would make it slightly harder for IDOC groups to get accurate timers, but it would make it much harder for most players that are looking to join an interesting IDOC.

I've IDOC'd on shards within a week of starting, sometimes you can find a house plot and a few hundred K in a random small that's overlooked by the bigger IDOC'ers. So by 'new' player, I mean a new player to the shard, not necessarily new to the game.
    Orion GM BD and Poogoblin like this.
  19. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Oh, re-read my post. I never said it cannot be done, it most definitely CAN be done. However, it can only be done effciently with a 3rd party program. And that is all I’m going to say about illegal 3rd party programs.
    Orion GM BD likes this.
  20. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Why should an afk gump be added to the act of IDing house signs (a fairly recent addition btw... you're asking the developer to step in here again on this topic)
    Can you define this process with the same criteria as the existing afk gump processes?
    This server was founded and built up by this group (a few personnel changes through the years but the same at it's core), are you aware of that?
    What steps have you taken thus far to counter the JoeBots and why have they all routinely failed?

I'd say those are your highest hurdles.

#JoeBotGateIsReal
    keep hope alive
    Orion GM BD likes this.