Air's Happy Polling Place - Let's Share Ideas and Have Some FUN! <3

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Air, Dec 7, 2018 at 10:36 PM.

Who thinks UOR should undergo a SERVER RESET for the new year!? (along with 1 home per account)

This poll will close on Dec 14, 2018 at 10:36 PM.
  1. Yes

19.2%
  2. Yes - as long as veterans are somehow rewarded for length of play

7.1%
  3. No

70.7%
  4. No - I dont care - I am playing somewhere else no

3.0%
  1. Air

Air Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

PARTICIPATE IN THIS POLL
  2. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Now, I'd hate to restart, and I probably wouldn't play as much as before. I do think if done right it could bring in a lot more people, being here when it went live, it was a blast! That and housing phases really was cool as well.
    Zyler likes this.
  3. bwillb

bwillb Member

No comment on the restart idea, but I do think 15 homes per person is a bit much. I would much rather have max 3 homes, maybe with a boost to the default lockdown and secure limit on smaller home types.
    Hadrian and Keza like this.
  4. Keza

Keza Well-Known Member

Ya, I second that about housing. One house per account, reset or not.
    Jupiter and Willy like this.
  5. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Yes.

The multiple empty house graveyard is just that and it sets the server tempo... a damn graveyard.
    Hadrian, NCCML, Gwenno and 3 others like this.
  6. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I wouldn't participate in a reboot. Keep in mind, rebooting will just nudge people who are already on the edge of trying another server.

Reboot isn't the answer, IMO.
  7. bwillb

bwillb Member

It's a trade off either way, lose some people who are well established and burning out, or lose potential new players turned off by a small group of people controlling most large home locations and billions in value.
  8. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

I think a reset is a desperate move. If it is lack of time, motivation, or ability that Chris has had to make by repeated requests from players who want the tweaks to pvp, thievery, etc... I doubt that would change for him going into a reset.

One of the major things that has kept me with UOR is that Chris has been able to build what this server is in one shot. Most of these other servers just keep on recycling such as Rel Por, Rel Por 2 which no longer exist.. Considered successes and innovative at one point, but both have ended up failing along with most others and UOR is still in a position that can rise back up. It's not dying, but it has slowed down a bit which is what servers tend to do.

I would love to see changes and I think the housing limitations stated above would be a great start.

But gotta keep in mind, we can all take as many breaks for however long we all want. Chris doesn't get that luxury with us cramming our wants down his throat.

He makes choices I disagree with, but there's a reason I care enough to still be playing and posting on the forums. Still a good server with the potential for improvements and changes to help maintain sustainability.
    Leopold, Blacklow, NCCML and 2 others like this.
  9. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Who do you want to piss off? The small population which has been with you for 5 years+, or the population who might come and stay for 2 months before moving on?
  10. TheDarkOne

TheDarkOne Well-Known Member

Housing is a bit outrages here yes. People can't even place a tower here.
  11. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

You can buy towers at great locations for exactly 0 over deed, right @Ragnar Lothbrok?
    Ragnar Lothbrok, One and TheDarkOne like this.
  12. Air

Air Well-Known Member

I appreciate the input, keep it coming.
    LOLOLOL....Where is the population that has been here for 5+ years? Ive been running around for the last few weeks attempting to sorta make a comeback and have YET to see more than 2-5 people playing at any one time. What I DO see is the same thing i preached about 3 years ago, we have a HUGE influx of new people that come here all the time, see empty houses, inflated numbers, no one to play with and they LEAVE. I'd like to see a chart of the amount of new accounts created over the last 2 years vs the number of actual accounts active.

People that might get "nudged" aren't playing here anyways. If nothing else, hopefully my post will motivate staff to start bringing people on-board to help run events, make some much needed changes and limit house ownership.

I am sure I can go place 20 towers, right now. The problem? They are all shit locations, no one wants them. ((Why should new people get cool houses, you ask?)) BECAUSE THERE ARE EMPTY FORTS, KEEPS AND TOWERS ALL OVER, WHY THE HELL AM I GOING TO GRIND MY ASS OFF TO BUY A SHIT HOUSE, GRIND HARDER TO BUY A GREAT LOCATION WHEN THERE IS NO ONE TO PLAY WITH? DING DING DING.
    Ravn likes this.
  13. merlin8666

merlin8666 Well-Known Member

I disagree in deleting everything as it takes away from active players who have invested time and patience in getting where they are.

In my view, if you do want to see a change then be the change. Delete all your stuff and live in only 1 house. I know, it's not the same as the server rush feeling but there's nothing stopping you in reseting your quest in obtaining what you want to obtain.

Edit: i grinded my ass off to buy my ideal sea front castle on grass. Peace made history in placing a new castle by town. This and many other success stories exist. If the end goal house is easy worth having, is it really worth having?
    BlackEye likes this.
  14. SandyRavage

SandyRavage Active Member

OR you could make runebooks auto blessed, restrict houses to 1 per account and randomize idoc timers. The simple fact is the current decay of this shard lays solely at the feet of the staff. Broken promises is all I’ve seen from staff for 3+ years. Cubs and moats? Faction fix? Nothing ever gets fixed around here. It’s not the players fault they got sick of waiting. I mean ffs he’s been promising moats for 4 years! I could have hand carved the stones built a fort irl and hand dug a trench around the thing IN 4 YEARS!!!
    NCCML likes this.
  15. Earsnot

Earsnot Well-Known Member

I voted no on a server reset.

I'm no where near any of my self set goals yet having only played here 18 months or so. Maybe once I've been here as long as you have Air I'll feel differently. Who knows.

I understand why some people might not care about a server reset, their goals might be totally different but I think that's down to individual play style. I know people who have played for longer than I have that have less stuff out of choice or maybe they've quit and given it away and are just happily living out of a bank box. I'm not one of those people though.

I don't even own cannons yet. I really want cannons, I've only got 2 ethies too. So a server reset for me would really suck.

I think that there are lots of other less drastic options to investigate before something wild like a server reset goes down. Things like owner only refresh, CUB and moats being released a PVP revamp like others have suggested.

I also think Chris letting some people develop some ideas on test with the view of potentially implementing them would be awesome. There's a post somewhere about player made quest crystals or scrolls that always sounded amazing and puts the ability to create new content in the hands of the players.

Chris has had loads of amazing ideas but as others have said, lacks the time to see all of them through to fruition (understandably too - we don't pay him to do this full time) and even if he did have the time I'm confident we would devour them faster than he could create them.

It's a huge shame that the one Seer burnt the bridge for other seers as there are LOADS of people who I believe could do some fucking cool ass shit if given a little bit of flex & juice here but I understand Chris' position. I'm sure we've all been burnt in some professional or personal situation before and aren't keen to leave yourself open for a round 2.
    Blacklow, BlackEye and One like this.
  16. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

A shard reset would be a double edged sword that would probably do more harm than good, long term. Short term, yes, it would bring back a ton of excitement in the rush to get new spots and probably get a population spike. A lot of people would probably be very excited, but a lot of them would probably be like "Been there, done that, not doing it again, see ya UOR".

Going on 5 years, a lot of UOR history would be erased and part of the mystique of a shard that has been around this long is all of the landmarks, houses with a history behind them. I think it is a bit different here though..... I remember uosa having all those landmarks but they were more depressing since the ppoulation had already moved on. We're still going steady here on UOR so its quite possible we haven't even hit our peak yet.

Solutions? Implement condemned status, cap the number of houses, but we know thats not going to happen. If you are a rich vet who has done it all and have 15 houses, you can always do your part and fund events, sell new players houses at deed cost and consolidate the clutter.

Personally, if we had a shard reset, I'd probably feel a bit of relief but sadness at the same time. I'd still play, but probably not as much as I used to.
    NCCML, wylwrk, Ragar and 3 others like this.
  17. Earsnot

Earsnot Well-Known Member

I think condemned status would be welcomed by everyone. There are whole areas of the game which are completely void of activity due to inactive players of years gone bys houses being refreshed by friends.

I think with enough notice it would cause a flourish of activity as word hopefully get back to these players, some of which might even come back to sell all their stuff, give items away, drop houses or pass them on - OR they might even start playing again which would obviously be preferred.

Regardless the outcome would be the same, house prices would definitely drop as well and some items would come back into circulation.

I noticed last week that the trammel museum has been completely emptied, which was a welcomed sight, hopefully lots of these items are about to come back into circulation and some gold can start exchanging hands.
    BlackEye, RavenMagi, Ragar and 2 others like this.
  18. Willy

Willy Active Member

I don’t think a reset is the answer.
    I 100% agree with 1 house per account. 90 percent of the houses are empty and most of them are in great locations.
    Most people probably use one house as there primary anyway. So why not just make it official
  19. Talon Karde

Talon Karde Well-Known Member

Would love a reset personally.

UOR is a depressing ghost town now with, like @Air said, 2-5 people playing at any given time.

I’ve tried and tried to play long stints for the year+ I’ve been here... but playing solo only lasts so long before you have to look elsewhere.

I’d also like to see one house per account. The 5 per account is craziness.

Also... hire some staff(which by the way I offered to fund). You can’t keep activity humming if you don’t actively patch, update, fix, and support your server. People always tell me Chris is so busy and that’s why he isn’t around... well, fine. Maybe running a server solo isn’t a good idea then.
    RavenMagi and Keza like this.
  20. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I don't think a reset would be productive, we'd lose a lot of people and gain fairly few.

I might macro up another bard I guess but... If the staff just decided to delete all my characters and stuff acquired over 3 years for essentially no reason I wouldn't really see the point in putting any effort into anything here anymore. And we all know Chris would never do that anyway, he's been very clear in his refusal to discourage effort.

I'm fine with one or two houses per account but I don't really see the point when keeps still go up for sale for 5 mill or so.

We should also note that there are still over 500 players logged in. Even if every player has 3 logged in that's still 170 unique players.

The answer to fixing the shard's stagnation, if it can even be called that, is to finally implement long promised systems (CuB, moats, carpentry BoDs etc.), add a legitimate faction overhaul (i.e. two factions concentrated in Britain), and focus on year round content (gardening, dexxer quests, thief quests, maybe better boats and piracy) to keep the game fresh. Also randomized overland spawns of bosses and mini-bosses so people have an incentive to explore.

Things will pick up a bit when Christmas spawns come in, something which I'm also looking forward to.

Long live UOR.
    Kiryana and Ouroboros like this.