Allow reds into towns

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by scuba, Jun 21, 2017.

1. scuba

scuba Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Also factions and o/c are a joke on this shard all pvp happens with reds. I can't tell you how many people have left because they perceived the pvp game as dead: if you bring town fighting this shard will have a higher retention rate
    Spankrox likes this.
  2. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    Althorn likes this.
  3. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

#UORSiegePerilous
  4. fooka03

fooka03 Well-Known Member

A rework of O/C or Factions would likely be more appropriate when it comes to trying to generate the town action the OP seems to be after. As others (@LanDarr) have mentioned, allowing reds into normal towns have a lot of negatives with only one marginal positive. I say marginal because it sounds like there's some desire here to get easy kills and loot from unsuspecting players under the guise of "generating more pvp" which is way too far into troll territory for my tastes.

If you want more PvP offer to teach people how to. Hold events, be creative, offer incentives. Anything that's going to take a significant server development effort is likely not going to happen anytime soon whereas player run events can happen anytime.
    Pirul and One like this.
  5. Althorn

Althorn Well-Known Member

I don't think that's the intent here at least not mine....I was merely stating a fact that I almost quit here within my first 2 days due to lack of knowledge of the actual community itself. I was trying to talk in the chat within the game the one nobody uses lol......

I was walking around talking to afks and dungeon fairies the first day or 2 during the hours I was on lol.
    Then because I got so bored I left ocllo and went to see if Brit was any different.. it wasn't lol

Till I bumped into @snap dragon and Triggered in ocllo. Which may be hard to believe to some but they both equally catered to alot of my early dumb questions and genuinely helped me. They are the sole reasons I did not quit my first week... they also directed me to irc, forums and guided me to PS who helped me relearn this game over again.

and young players cannot be attacked or stolen from anyway. & if they do target a non young blue they still get guard whacked... so I don't see the bad in this idk maybe I'm missing something.

We should promote talks like this... If everyone spoke their mind and we all collectively came together and agreed on ways to improve the shard it could go far... A lot of brilliant minds on this shard we should look to put them to use...
    One likes this.
  6. One

One Well-Known Member

PaddyOBrien likes this.
  7. scuba

scuba Well-Known Member

The only desire I have is a higher pvp player retention @fooka03 I have trained countless people how to pvp but, at the end of the day most leave because it is so hard to find fights. If new players saw people fighting in town I think it would have a better chance for pvpers to stay. And yes I do agree there will be people who are waiting for a easy target but, the same people already do this by going grey in town and waiting.
  8. binlagin

binlagin Active Member

PvP for the sake of PvP gets boring.. FAST.

PvP as a side effect of sort larger game mechanic is needed... to really keep people engaged.

IMO, there is another post that was brought up today that really hurts the PvP on this server... there is simply to many things that you can do solo, and be extremely successful on this server.
    One likes this.
  9. scuba

scuba Well-Known Member

I disagree with this all I do is pvp and I do not get bored of it. Every player has there play style. I am not saying change anyone's way to play the game I am just offering a way so more people who want to pvp are exposed to it and will want to stay.
  10. Althorn

Althorn Well-Known Member

Well I mean yeah if your afk your putting yourself at risk to be food for the wolves... That should be common sense though and is usually a mistake that comes with a lesson learned after getting killed while afk.

I remember one of the first nights I tried to macro afk in town. I was macroing hiding on a toon shortly after dropping my young status. I tried to do it right on the top side of the ocllo bank. Came back in the morning dead... Moved to the bottom side. Came back dead... Guess what I never did again lol?

Either way there's gotta be some ways we can all suggest and come up with some ideas to all agree on to improve things.
    One likes this.
  11. One

One Well-Known Member

12. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

social reform + effective recruiting - acting like a bong ripping little byach on the forums/irc (aka: no drama) + guild/alliance wars = what*u l00king4
    Althorn and One like this.
  13. One

One Well-Known Member

14. Larloch

Larloch Well-Known Member

Not all bong rippers are byaches btw....
    Althorn likes this.
  15. Smash

Smash Well-Known Member

A shard i used to play long ago called zulu hotel australia had a functioning ally/war guild system and the amount of fighting in towns was pretty hectic!

You always had to bank in fear of being killed but it was super fun. I dont think reds in town is the answer but fixing some of the systems that would allow for town fighting.
  16. binlagin

binlagin Active Member

I played exclusively on ZHC growing up.

I loved the PVP, on those servers.

I really liked that the PVM, encouraged PVP by having people expose themselves to find GM armor and GM weapons which was way better then craft-able stuff, until you got into the high-high end craft-ables... which the resources where also only found by PVM and mixed with an extremely difficult crafting grind.

Gold was relatively useless, but the loot was not. Kinda the inverse of what we have now.

As it stands, other then an ego hit, you really loose nothing when dieing to a PK and you really gain nothing by PK'ing someone. I feel this is what needs to change to get more people into the PVP scene.
    One likes this.
  17. One

One Well-Known Member

wylwrk likes this.
  18. binlagin

binlagin Active Member

I'm still new, and haven't explored the PVP much yet... but from what I've seen, you get what?

A vanq weapon, some pots, regs and a set of leather armor? If your extremely lucky?

You can earn the money to replace that in 10 minutes of farming Blood ele's.

I'd be out PvP'n actively , If i knew what I'd be looting from my kills would be worth my time/effort/risk.

But as it stands, I can just go mame things in a dungeon on my OP as hell tamer while multi-boxing all relatively safe... and hell, if a PK shows up, I can escape 19/20 tries because razor is stupid.

I'm having lots of fun on UO:R don't get me wrong and it's why I keep logging in, but it's far from a PVP oriented server... even though we have the Felucia rule set.
  19. Spankrox

Spankrox Active Member

PvE for the sake of PvE gets boring.. FAST.

Diff play styles dude.
    Some people like to kill Ogre Lords over and over.
    Some people like to kill other players over and over.

You can't discount one play style because it doesn't fit how you play.
  20. One

One Well-Known Member