Allow reds into towns

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by scuba, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Soma Holiday

Soma Holiday Active Member

What about allowing reds into Brit, but not other towns? That seems to be where most new players go looking to gauge the population of the server.

As for retaining new players, I think that increasing skill gain would help even more with that. I've mentioned this before and heard stuff like "skill gain is fine" and "it's faster than OSI," but the fact is that compared to other (competing) free shards, character creation is pretty slow here and I suspect that the grind is putting some people off before they get a chance to discover all that's great about this place.
    Hollywood and One like this.
  2. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  3. Christoph Brock

Christoph Brock Well-Known Member

Like LanDarr wrote, reds can go into Buc's as it is. Seems to me that if people really wanted to fight them in town, they'd go there. But they generally don't.

There's no doubt that pvp is in a bad state on this shard, but that might just be because most people want to do other things with their chars. There's really not much you could do mechanically to change that.
    PaddyOBrien and One like this.
  4. scuba

scuba Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

This change would be for the players that join the shard in hopes of pvp but, quit after they cannot find enough to satisfy there need.

Enough of you have spoken though for me to understand that this may not be the best course of action. I just wish there was a way for our shard to retain more pvpers. As it stands right now there is like 10-15active pvpers and that is pathetic
    One likes this.
  5. scuba

scuba Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your comments and opinions I am glad we could discuss this in a civilized tone I hope you all have a wonderful night.
    One likes this.
  6. One

One Well-Known Member

7. Smash

Smash Well-Known Member

i dont think most people doubt the need for more pvp - just the way to get there is the question.

personally i can see too many newer players having issues because of it. not because they are being killed in town but for other reasons.

therse a few people that put on certain events trying to increase pvp on the shard. i do think a functional ally/war system would help as well where blues can now fight freely in town with warring guilds.
    fooka03, PaddyOBrien and One like this.
  8. One

One Well-Known Member

9. Smash

Smash Well-Known Member

magic jewelry? did we jump into AoS without me knowing?
  10. One

One Well-Known Member

11. Smash

Smash Well-Known Member

12. One

One Well-Known Member

13. Smash

Smash Well-Known Member

i never played OSI.. the only shard i played was AoS and had pretty hectic magic jewelry!
    One likes this.
  14. binlagin

binlagin Active Member

I don't think your understanding my point.

You need a circle that feeds into each other.

For example, the correct balance that engages EVERYONE would be: PvE to PvP... and you PvP to PvE.

If your on this server and this doesn't sound like the way it should be, when why are you here? There are pure PvE and PvP servers available. Go play those.

Allowing reds into towns is a terribly short sighted answer and will fix NOTHING regarding the state of PvP.

Sorry for rerailing.
  15. Aya

Aya Active Member

The early types of jewelry were pretty simple they had buffs and whatnot on them like a ring of blessing, or a necklace of invisibility. They had limited charges. This also extended to clothing items such as hats, bear/deer masks, and sashes. Back then I never actually had to cast invis. I just threw on a bracelet and disappeared.
    One likes this.
  16. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Right now there are a few RP guilds that are growing and pvp able like the brigands, templars, Cero's Britannian guard guild, and the orcs are growing as well. However, it might not be the trash talking "I killed y00 no0b" type of pvp but it's fun because the purpose behind it (You're invading the orcs on their turf, or the brigands are defending their fort from invaders, etc.), and some basic civility involved (no "real, personal" trash talking and no dry looting). Maybe I'm wrong and this is just my opinion of it, but pvp on this shard or any shard seems to devolve into shit talking, e-peen flailing, wandering around aimlessly just for a fight, and butthurt feelings.

To me, pvp is much more fun when you've got a purpose.. whether your organizing a raid against an enemy guild or camp, or defending against said raid, or patrolling the roads for the bad guys, instead of just looking for fights and being disappointed when none are found. Often on some days it wouldn't be too hard for one of the RP guilds to round up a few of their members and get battle ready and set something up.
    Aya, Pirul, ReZon and 1 other person like this.
  17. One

One Well-Known Member

Aya likes this.
  18. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

Say what you will about UO but I agree with this. I play the game for PvE but had a couple friends recently come try UoR who really wanted to focus on pvp. But the grind was just too much for them when they and the rest of us have grinded so many chars in the last 20 years the game has been around. A lot of people enjoy coming back and starting from scratch and earning there way up the ranks and whatever they want to get out of uo. But i also understand the deterrence that is the grind if you want to just pvp. And pvp is healthy for servers. I honestly love the idea of a 20% inscrease skill gain in dungeons. Gets more people out in the world instead of macroing at the bank or in their homes which makes players more active, makes the server look and be more active, and even for the pks it gives them more prey.
    Soma Holiday likes this.
  19. Spankrox

Spankrox Active Member

You're projecting again mate.
    The wonderful thing about UO is that it's a sandbox. There is no 'correct' way. I was simply providing the counter argument to your pvp is boring line.
    I like the server just fine by the way.
  20. Smash

Smash Well-Known Member

apart from resisting spells you can macro any pvp based character in what.. 3 - 4 days??

what do these people want - 30 minutes to GM any skill
    One likes this.