Archery and why it sucks here...

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by David Scraggs, May 31, 2017.

1. David Scraggs

David Scraggs Well-Known Member

Swing speed...Lack of runics...lack of magics etc etc etc. Im happy with Damage. Just thing the swing speed is bullshit...Weapon availability is bullshit.. Every time its gets brought up the BS argument "this is how it was on OSI" like they had golden dragons and blood thirsty bulls and all that. I know I know...make a tamer..I have one. I literally hate playing her. The reason for this post is because my GF ask me why I hadnt been playing UO much for months now. After I got to thinking about it this is why. I like my macer/fencer/LJ.. Ive tried the thief gig here and lock picking etc. My archers are my favorite followed by my bards. The main reason I have a LJ is to cut trees. I mostly use my tamer to clean up the harpy rooms.. 2 dragons and mare make that easy...

Im not asking for poison arrows or exploding arrows or any of that music..Just increase the drop rate of magic archery weapons, make craft able runics with GM fletching...possibly make quivers a low level BOD reward where they increase swing speed by the same rate as damage start with 5% SSI can give it a cheesy name and work up from there. If thats to much trouble just drop e quiver idea (I love this quiver idea though) and buff all archery weapons. The HXbow is f***ing useless. Drop the damage a bit speed it up. hell in pvp a mage could stop and meditate and regain 100 mana by the time you get a shot off that hits to interrupt them. add in that repeater that does small damage but swings fast. Look at a Katana.. How fast they are and the damage they do lol

Oh while Im at it... lets bards provo creatures on to players... To my knowledge that was never a thing on OSI but that'd be nice. Definitely make it easier to survive a PK attack but lets focus on archery..

Ok I know the team has tons of things to do and I appreciate their hard work.. Just needed to rant.
    Azerothian, Halabinder, Pekka and 6 others like this.
  2. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Archery is in bad need of love. Even if the swing speeds were tweaked a little better.
  3. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

I agree with your ideas @David Scraggs and there have been endless posts from others who suggested changes. Rather then add ranting, I say we post/repost the best suggestions for archery changes here!

Some of the best ideas I have seen:
    - Add a special attack to heavy X-bow to make it useful, maybe something like a hit that ignores armor.
    - Give archery bonus damage from fetching skill same as axes-to-lumberjacking.

I dont have time to look back through all these posts but there are more good ideas in here:
    OMG... Archery is absolutely terrible...

Weapon Fixes and.... ARCHERY!

Time to give up the Bow?

Archery and the lack of a Special Attack

Archery and PvM

MAKE CHANGES TO ARCHERY!
    Azerothian, Lord Krake, One and 2 others like this.
  4. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

@Pirul >>> Provo Onto Players
  5. Larloch

Larloch Well-Known Member

I got tons of magic archery weapons, so that point is kinda mute, but I agree on the rest of it...I guess. I never really played a archer. Mainly because I have never had one kill me, haha.
    One likes this.
  6. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Au contraire! It was something very prevalent in OSI, BUT it is so weak in practice that no one really used it for PvP. There is a lot of fuss being made about it being overpowering for tamers, etc. But really, as a PK, are you going to let yourself be chased down by an Orc Lord? Not to mention, it has a 10s cooldown...and not to mention, any monster worth barding unto a player for PvP purpose is very difficult to do, so it will end up trying to eat the bard before the PK in most cases.
  7. David Scraggs

David Scraggs Well-Known Member

Im familiar with most of those threads. I guess my hope is Chris and the powers to be would see yet another thread and do something. Those two ideas are great! Combine those with a quiver of haste(25% SSI) and a Runic bow and scribe archer/fletcher would be sweet

I should have said useful slayers... Youve never had one kill you because its damn near impossible to get a kill with an archer. Best hope is to get your timing right with purple pots and a good shot while theyre already low on health.

Thanks for Sharing.. Now that BS argument is out the window for that issue. I will say that it would be extremely uselful to defend against PK's. Not PvP.

You're minding you own business letting dragons kill each other and here comes a PK. Provo one of the dragons on him. Chug a pot and run circles around the Dragon then provo the other and maybe paralyze the PK a few times. Itll take some practice but right now you just have to recall.
  8. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

@Chris has said Archery will get some love (swing speed is the best guess). The new BOD system will (likely) bring runic bows.
    One and Soma Holiday like this.
  9. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

"Now that BS argument is out of the way"? Seriously? He's agreeing with you that Provo onto Players should be a thing and you bitch about his opinion?

His point is that dragons have a high barding level so yes in a perfect world you can just Provo the dragons onto a pk, but most likely you will fail the first few Provo attempts which will aggro the dragon onto you. You end up having to run from a dragon and a pk. Have you met many pks that will stand there patiently waiting for you to have a successful Provo attempt?
  10. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

11. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

How are you failing that often provoking dragons? It's not that hard. They're not AWs or SWs. Those actually have a considerable fail rate with proper equipment.

I'm of the opinion that swing speed is fine on archery and it needs to have a flat 50/50 chance to hit like every other weapon, regardless of movement. I personally feel like stopping to shoot is excessive as well but we've never had a chance to test without it, so who can say for sure.

It would be great if there were tests on test more often for changes to mechanics that people are really eager to see improvement on.
    Halabinder likes this.
  12. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  13. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I can agree with that and possibly even require full anat/tact to get peak benefit from the skill, in whatever form that might come.
    Soma Holiday and One like this.
  14. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

No I get that. I'm saying that even 1 fail is gonna get you killed. If a pk comes after you, you have a split second to make a decision. If that decision is to Provo the dragon onto him and you fail, you're done.

Lower level mobs would be a nuisance for a pk tho. Some of the lower level mobs (like harpies) can disrupt their casts, etc.
  15. Kalvasflam

Kalvasflam Active Member

I feel with you! When I quit OSI archery was very viable (not to say a little bit overpowered) and there were a lot of archers around. Actually, the archer was my favorite template too! And I made millions on my crafter selling arrows and bolts.

Also, on OSI at that time, every weapon had special attacks. It was a very nice addition, as it made several templates very viable (not the usual 80-90 % mages). I remember I used the dryad bow (kind of an artifact) very much, as you could shoot with it while running. Fun times!
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  16. Pekka

Pekka Well-Known Member

@Kalvasflam You can always run and shoot with a bow.

I love Archery and have played different archers in different games and using archery at ships while fishing works great but it is slow. I guess that a mage will take down anything in double speed compared to an archer but the mage have to stand still while casting and have to meditate, which an archer never needs, he will be able to keep running all time really.

First time I got up my eyes for archery, well how usefull archery could be in PVP battles was when our guild had a fight with our enemies at OSI and they used 3 archers and those 3 archers got all our mages, well we where aprox 10 fighters on each side during that fight. Our enemy did had a very good PVP mage, so we also tried this strategy later on, using 3 archers, myself included but we never got him down though. Some players are extremely good at PVP and will seldom go down. The enemy archers managed to interupt all spellcasting during the first fight that I did mention as they took down our mages one by one and I was mage during that fight and couldnt do nothing - well I could have tried to run out of sight which the good enemy mage always did. He kept running out, casted, ran in and throw what he had and ran out again.

I will be very very happy if archery gets more love.

Shouldn't this thread be in the Era section for suggetions?
  17. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Archers have to stand still on shots as well.

Archery is almost worthless at distance in PvP as you miss too often. The only times you will get a few hits in a row is when standing in melee range.

I think if that was looked into, and adjusted to miss within 2 tiles but get bonus to hit at 3+ tiles , it would already be better.

No need for anything special or hard to balance. Just the old good way archery used to work.
    Halabinder likes this.
  18. Kalvasflam

Kalvasflam Active Member

I don't know how it works on UOR. Havn't tried that yet. But you are right when it comes to the dryad bow. I think I used a xbow with a special weapon attack (shoot while running) and the dryad bow for sth else (paralyze or so). Can't remember.
  19. Random

Random Well-Known Member

There was special attack in Age of Shadow for archery.

Mortal Strike - Moving Shot- Dismount and even Concussion and Paralyzing blows
    Kalvasflam likes this.
  20. Namarra

Namarra Active Member
    UO:R Donor

I'd fully support having tweaked/balanced weapon abilities added to Renaissance. Might give dexxers a much needed boost. That said I don't have a problem with the special attacks we have now.