Are any of the Xmas events going to be dexer friendly?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Poogoblin, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Poogoblin

Poogoblin Active Member
    UO:R Donor

After the thanksgiving, and the start of the current event, being so dexer unfriendly I'm just curious if this is how the rest of the event is going to be.
  2. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

In the trade forum, people are paying 100k to 300k for repond (elf) slayer weapons of force and might. I suspect people are planning on using dexers.
  3. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

my dexxer is getting almost every kill credit due to dishing out so much more dmg then my tamers. A pure dexxer is going to have issues dealing with damage but stick provoke on your dexxer and your gunna shred.
  4. Poogoblin

Poogoblin Active Member

Great, so those that have been on the shard for 2 years and can afford to use/lose those weapons will have the luxury of using a dexer?

The fact that a slayer of might is going for 200k is pretty darn silly, imo.
  5. Dalavar

I think it's silly too.

I also think whining about the second custom event to happen during your first month here is pretty silly too.
    garvey and [Mobolin] like this.
  6. Poogoblin

Poogoblin Active Member

Interesting response. Defensive much? I was asking, not whining. If there are going to be dexxer friendly events for someone who doesn't have 500k to blow then I'll continue my dexxer whom I've spent said month developing, otherwise I want to work on a character that may be able to at least do a portion of these. Even if this means macroing a character quickly so I can run around casting EVs.
  7. Froste

Froste New Member

I made a 7x bard in just under two weeks starting with naught but my starter gear and the immense generosity of the community. You can too!
    MrCandyMan, Lord Krake and Poogoblin like this.
  8. Poogoblin

Poogoblin Active Member

Yeah, thinking of doing this...it's why I started the topic. I think I'll just shelve the dexer and come back to him when I have more disposable income.
  9. El Horno

First off even vanqs will probably out damage a tamer. Second, where are you getting these #'s from, Dalavar is quoted for saying 100-300k, which is about right, then you pull 500k out of think air. 100k is not that much money, and I'm sorry if that seems out of touch with newer players. Also, even if you consider 100k a lot of money, it is an investment in your future! There is SO much money to be made during these holiday events, do yourself a favor and get good gear for it so you can crush those elves. I spent a lot of money on silver weapons during the NOH event and lost a lot of silver weapons as well. That is all a part of the game.
    Dexxers are reliant on gear and that is just all there is to it, but they also have the potential to do A LOT of damage.
  10. Froste

Froste New Member

Truth! After all, a mage costs just under 100k to build and then spends regs to operate.

A dexxer builds skill for free, spends money on weapons that are much cheaper in terms of ongoing operation costs even when you consider repairs and replacements.
  11. Poogoblin

Poogoblin Active Member

I was averaging in losing weps, not pulling it out of think air. It is good to know that vanqs provide a pretty hefty punch, I've been using a bronze runic and the damage just isn't there. I'll give it another go with the dexer later this evening when the elves are spread out a bit more and any and every dungeon is a hotspot for 3v1 pk ganks. In the mean time I'll start working Provo to see if that helps.

Watching Cynic go through this cycle of dexxer love/hate and eventually settling on a tamer may have jaded me after I spent the majority of the time this morning having a long spear elf perma para me with his 4 attacks per second. Then watch a mage roll in and double EV him as he medded in the corner.

This is just wrong
    Cynic likes this.
  12. El Horno

Ya I think you should give it another shot, however don't expect too different results if your not mitigating that damage somehow. e Whether that means provoking or peacing, or being the damage to a tamer - dexxer duo. I would not have fun on a pure dexxer, you would just be jousting about waiting for pks to roll in. Also another viable build is a dexxer with enough magery to EV or bladespirit from scrolls, then dish out the damage.
  13. Poogoblin

Poogoblin Active Member

Yeah I was thinking about the latter, mostly for the PK protection of magic reflect, magic resist (already gm, though I really only notice it vs other players PvM magic still tears me up) and 100% recall success, but then I'm probably going to have a hard time with magic critters. Give and take I suppose.
  14. El Horno

Ya i think that is not a bad idea to have a mix of magery/med on a dexxer, certainly makes you viable in a hell of a lot more situations.
  15. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

Bard/Dexxers are very fun to play and they do dish out a TON of damage. I would consider them better than tamers in PvM, however, a dexxer can't tank worth a shit. You can kill just about anything with a dexxer in this game, outside of boss monsters, just look at me killing balrons.

This thread brings to light what I've been complaining about since day 1 here, the availability of slayers is terrible. This allows me to sell these repond slayers for a RETARDED amount of gold and it just shouldn't be like this.

It took me a long time to acquire the slayer weapons I have, outside of the silver slayers which are pretty common. Unless you're an established player here I would suggest NOT using a dexxer for this event and to use a mage/bard. The mage/bard is easy to macro up in a few days and requires nothing but regs and an instrument when you're out there hunting elves.

Also, if in the event you do have a repond slayer, I wouldn't let that thing out of the bank unless you're doing the instanced event. Going into a dungeon with a repond slayer to kill these spawning elves is asking for a PK to mow you done. Hell, even most blues on tamers would consider taking a count for a weapon like that.
    Cero likes this.
  16. Cero

Cero Well-Known Member

This exactly!
  17. El Horno

Ding ding ding. I just want to emphasize this. The only reason people are spending so much on these reponds is because they are virtually safe as nobody in their right mind is using them for overland spawn. I have no problem dishing out serious gold for a weapon that I can resell at a later point.
  18. Dalavar

Those colored scroll instances might be the most dexer-friendly challenges I've ever seen in UO.

Did one with 2 other tamers and 2 dexers. Sent my dragons up to something, told them to hit it, and then watched the dexers run up and drain the enemy HP like a leaky faucet.

I dare say the crazy prices on repond weapons is probably reasonable. You have little chance of getting a rare drop, or even holiday coins, with dragons.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  19. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

Dalavar, the two dexxers also had two of the best repond weapons I've seen in game since I've been here.

I don't think anything less than force has a fighting chance there against trained dragons and a mare. I'm swinging a power repond katana at 120 dex, it just hits hard and faaaast.
  20. Dalavar

The only two power repond weapons I've ever seen, yes. But I am not exaggerating when I say you were dealing out damage about 3x as fast as the dragons.