Armor question--Seeking clarity

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Cretoma, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Cretoma

Cretoma Active Member

I am now at a point where I am no longer just putting on whatever armor I find. Hooray! Now that I am beginning to get selective, I began looking through the compendium and item lists on the web site. I would like to verify what I came up with.

1) For my dexxer, I want to avoid dex reduction (I'm not yet at 100 STR/DEX).

2) The base stats for bone armor the same AR as plate, without the DEX penalty, making these the strongest base armors in the game.

3) Because the only armor sets that have gorgets are plate, studded, and leather, one needs to augment the bone set with one of these to have a complete set of armor.

4) So, if one wants to avoid the DEX penalty, the strongest base armor without any modifiers would be a set of bone armor with a studded gorget.

5) This is without considering considering modifiers due to magical or material bonuses, which complicates this discussion into Oblivion.

Do I understand armor?
    Kiryana and One like this.
  2. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    Kiryana and Killian like this.
  3. Killian

Killian Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Sounds correct.

While bone armor doesn't have a dex penalty it does have a mana regen penalty. Because of this and the fact that you can't recycle items that were not made exceptional a lot of people seem to opt for GM barbed.
    One likes this.
  4. One

One Well-Known Member

Killian likes this.
  5. Cretoma

Cretoma Active Member

Thanks, guys! I have a few bags of armor and weapons that I’ve looted the past couple of days. I’m running out of room for things and did not want to throw out stuff I could be using. This (and the list of modifiers) is going to help me sort through it all.

When you say GM armor, is that exceptional? Does it need to be exceptional to get the maker’s mark?

I may need to make a utility character with item ID. That will help tremendously. I’ve just been putting on armor/weapons and waiting for the website to update my player profile. Hehe
  6. One

One Well-Known Member

Killian likes this.
  7. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Yes, only exceptional items can carry a makers mark, although there are crafters that rather NOT mark their items and leave them just as exceptional.
    Killian and One like this.
  8. One

One Well-Known Member

9. Cretoma

Cretoma Active Member

This is helpful. I won a small stone workshop in the new player giveaway last weekend. I may just save all the loot for the clean up program. I remember when OSI did that the first time around. I desperately wanted to get the phoenix armor (or was it the ranger armor?). I didn't get it.

I definitely need to start saving up. A blessed rulebook would be nice. How much does that go for? I have a provo dexxer that is close to ready to go into the wild. That is, after he trains healing and tactics beyond 60. He is the only one over 2 accounts. But he can begin building up that nest egg while I get my crafter and battle miner set up. One can GM mining and smithing without leaving Ocllo, right?
    Killian and One like this.
  10. One

One Well-Known Member

Cretoma and Killian like this.
  11. Killian

Killian Member

When I said GM I was indeed referring to exceptional. I believe that it does need to be exceptional for the makers mark, I'm not entirely sure if it requires GM though.

You can also acquire an item ID wand for identifying your loot. It seems like there are quite a few folks vendoring wands at the moment. You could also look for the Cupid camps as they usually have wands in the chests. I believe the Cupid camps are still up, they were the last time I
    I Gm'd mining in moonglow, so I would assume that you can gm it just about anywhere.

Blessed rune books usually go 250 plat or around 2 million gold.

I don't remember the clean up program, but I do remember getting ranger armor from new player tickets early on.

Congrats on the house.
    One and Cretoma like this.