Attention Thieves

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by snap dragon, Feb 15, 2017.

1. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

Okay I have extended this because some newbs forgot to start. You can do this for EITHER:

Feb 19 to the 25th

OR

Feb 25 to Mar 4

Also, if you are already logging the journal, please create a new file for this week, or clear your old one.

I have a potentially big favor to ask of you all. Friend of for, it matters not to me, I will be more than willing to work with you and help share information gained from this post.

What I am asking for here is two things.

1.) Tone down the frequency with which you steal worthless items. If there's an AFK player at the bank with 2 nightshade, give it a rest and leave them be. I obviously don't feel that anyone should have to decide "not" to steal, in a game about murdering, stealing, political sabotage, also among skills like pvp, blacksmithing, and fishing. But, if you get a "eh, it's probably not worth the trouble" thought in your head, I ask you to take your own advice.

I think there is a lot of complaining about the stealing skill on the shard by players who don't really have any business discussing the skill due to lack of knowledge or extreme bias. Some propose "ideas" that would be fun for thieves that are obvious nerfs, though they are possibly oblivious to this fact. Others' have the opinion that stealing should have many buffs due to it's (admittedly) already difficult nature, as they likely feel frustrated from the lack of quality items to steal, or are rather poor at the game in any regards. Some level headed individuals propose good, balanced, ideas.. that will go unnoticed and never even considered for the shard.

It is my belief that any change in the remotely "pro" thief opinion are unlikely to happen due to poor public opinion of thieves. The opposite is entirely possible unfortunately. I am sure many of you will entirely ignore this completely, a fact that is not totally obscured to me, and that's fine of course.

2.) I want your chat logs. I know this is a lot to ask. But I am asking that, for 1 week, you enable chat logging and send me your chat logs. Obviously this poses some issues with privacy, and that is why I will offer you a web application that will (entirely client side, and open-source so you can see that I am not logging any of it) scrub your chat log of anything not related to use of the stealing skill or guard calls, etc. I am simply interested in the messages you receive from stealing. I would like to use this to computationally find out "what" people are stealing, and what their success chances have been. I don't believe that a thief testing out the statistics by themselves can ever hope to gather a data set with significance, which is why I am here asking this of you.

All you literally have to do, is enable an option in uo.cfg when you start playing that week, and disable it at the end of the week when you are done playing. Afterwards, you retrieve the chat logs from your computer, paste them into a big textbox, press a button, and copy/paste send me the results.

The period I would like to record is currently planned for Feb 19 to the 25th.

If you are interested in helping gather statistics for the skill, and are capable of doing this, please shoot me a private message. I am more than happy to help get you set up to log the data, and of course I will publish it for all to see.

Thanks

-cA
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Descartes, Zyler, Basoosh and 4 others like this.
  2. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

Interesting! I didn't even know I could save my chat log like that. I'm ready to provide my services for this noble cause.
  3. snap dragon

bump

Still need people willing to do this if we are to gather this data. So far it looks like just cA members and 1 other. I know there's supposedly more thieves than just us that play, and certainly any thief would want this data available in order to 1.) get better at their craft and 2.) help adjust stealing mechanics on the server with REAL data and not anecdote from those who don't play thieves.
  4. OptimisticSam

OptimisticSam Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

5. Hoominaga

Hoominaga Well-Known Member

I'm in uo.cfg... what turns the chat logs on?

Googled a bit, JournalSave turned on and I added a line JournalSaveFile=C:\Users\Xxxxxxx\Desktop\Journal.txt (changed the xs). Should I keep that or remove that bit?
  6. snap dragon

You can put this for path as you figured out:

JournalSaveFile=C:\MyLogName.txt
    But you must also have this set:

SaveJournal=On
  7. Hoominaga

Done and done. Lets hope it works
  8. snap dragon

Just login to the game, say something, and log back out. Then check that text file. Journal should have what you said, and that would verify it's working.
  9. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

Can we change the starting date? I forgot to start.
  10. Hoominaga

Not like you stole anything today anyway.
    Jakob and wylwrk like this.
  11. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

12. snap dragon

What I will do is extend it another optional week.