Bank Check Bug

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Wodan, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Well this is the kind of bug I wouldn't report on any other shard but I hate to see the economy implode here.

I'm a developer myself and I know how stupid this sounds but I am unable to reproduce the bug. You will understand that I tried every possible way.

So it's more a report of a very unusual behaviour that might be related to some server hicup.

Here's what happend. I had 36k in the bank and created a 30k check and recalled to my house and placed it there. The next day I look at my bank box and the balance is 36k again as if the check was never drawn. The check was still in my house though ! So I create another 30k check and my balance chances to 26k. After that, I couldn't produce any more bank check misbehaviour. After all, I ended up with 50k out of nowhere.

I spent that money on booze and hookers, you can't take it away from me any more. Still pretty strange behaviour that could potentially ruin the shard if reproduceable so it might be worth looking into check creation code. The one thing that freaked me the most was creating that second 30k check that just took 10k off my balance ...
  2. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

was your balance 6k or 26k after the second cheque was madE?
  3. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member

I'll try to sum it up for better understanding

Balance 36k
    Minus Check 30k (Didn't check Balance after that)

Next day I return to find
    Balance 36k
    Minus Check 30k
    Balance 26k
    Minux Check 20k
    Balance 6k

Result :
    Balance 6k
    Check 30k
    Check 30k
    Check 20k
    Total 86k

If this happens a few more times I can finally afford a GM Blacksmith.
  4. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  5. Godric Greycliff

Godric Greycliff Well-Known Member

For future reference, this might be the sort of bug that's best brought directly to Telamon rather than posted here. He's always available in IRC.
  6. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

Following your description I wasn't able to reproduce this under any circumstances, the total-gold was always the same no matter what balance I wrote checks for or what I did with them.
  7. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member

Well IF I were able to reproduce the bug, I would have certainly handled it much more sensitive. In that case it would be more of an exploit than a bug ...

But since this was a one time phenomenon, I thought I could post it here and see if anyone experienced anything like this before.

Pay attention when creating bank checks and see if the gold is properly subtracted from your balance.
  8. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

I looked into this as well and reviewed the process that is followed for creating bank checks and how balance is determined.

I also couldn't re-create the problem, and looking over the code it is pretty air tight.

The only know bug with this system is that the balance command doesn't properly break down your assets into gold/platinum. Reporting the total for both. So 36000 gold and 25 platinum would result in a bankers response of 36025 gold.
  9. Godric Greycliff

The balance command also doesn't recognize holiday coins as seperate from gold.
  10. ReZon

ReZon Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Interesting, I hope it isn't possible for your platinum to accidentally get lumped into a check!
  11. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

It is not. Platinum and Holiday coins are all of the same base item type, but will not stack or go into checks.
    I've tried to check my whole balance before and it failed because I didn't really have that much gold.
  12. Godric Greycliff

The balance does recognize silver as being seperate so it seems like we should be able to get the platinum and holiday coins worked out.
  13. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Yes. I'm working on that for Patch 45. Along with the balance detail showing platinum as well.