Best way to earn money as a newbie?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Vampiresbane, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Vampiresbane

Vampiresbane New Member

Just trying to build up my nest egg so I can work on Magery later on for my second character. In UO Forever, it was overly easy to make money. It's one thing I really appreciate about UO:R--that it's harder to build up your bank account when starting out. That being said, how does a strapped for cash new player start pulling in more dough? Ingots? Logs? Hides?
    newme likes this.
  2. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

If you're hoping for gold scarcity, this is not the place. Gold is extremely easy to earn and abundant. Players buy ingots in mass quantities here because of the BOD system. Bards and tamers are also very easy to make and make tons of gold without a lot of effort (more effort though = more gold per hour of course).

GM taming is a joke, you can grind it out in a few days of semi-AFK.
    newme likes this.
  3. Plankton

Plankton Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

That said, logs are great for starting out. Sell them in bulk and advertise in IRC. You should make enough to equip any character you create after that.
    newme likes this.
  4. Pork Fried Rice

Fishing is also good if you enjoy a peaceful boat ride (watch out for pirates). MIBs and custom MIBs are easily sold and the custom MIBs sell very quick and for a decent price
    newme likes this.
  5. Nymeros

Nymeros Well-Known Member

But during those semi-AFK moments, be aware you're not safe. Even in city zone. Pkers like to lurk around delucia and jhelom, right PFR?
  6. RevySabre

RevySabre Member

My 2 cents. Make a 50 mage with 40 mana get a full spell book and go after arctic ogre lords outside ICE using blade spirits.. Just watch out for Pork Fried Rice. Though with a recall hotkey, hes not hard to get away from =) You'll get 15-20k an hour pretty easily. and can watch netflix while doing it.
    StarTrakZack, newme and Basoosh like this.
  7. Pork Fried Rice

I don't think people PK at Jhelom or Delucia all that much but I could be wrong, I've hardly been to either spot for the last 6+ months.
    newme likes this.
  8. Plankton

Plankton Active Member

True Revy but you still need money for reagents! So, until then...

Once you have reagents, you can go from there! Actually, the blade spirits will work on any non-casting mob such as ogre lords, executioners, earth elementals, etc.
    newme likes this.
  9. Nymeros

Nymeros Well-Known Member

I saw you there last week...you remained invisible after pking 2 tamers ;)

Tracking is a useul skill after all.

Edit: okay my timing skills are crap, but you got the main idea.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  10. Pork Fried Rice

Reading comprehension, because it matters. As I said, I've hardly been to either spot for the last 6+ months.

30 minutes? I'll have to call BS on that because I never stay at a spot longer than 2 minutes after killing my last victim unless I'm killing their pets (in which case, their pets are victims, so I'm still killing victims). I'd be happy to talk more about your lies in a PM. I don't want to pull this thread off topic as it doesn't help the OP out at all.

As for proof, you can see I was there, killed 3 people and about 15 minutes later I was off killing people elsewhere.
    http://www.uorenaissance.com/player/log/28767/Kill/50/Date_New
  11. Vampiresbane

Vampiresbane New Member

Not sure I'm familiar with the BOD system.

As for gold scarcity, it's least a little better here in the "younger levels." In one night in UO:Forever, I had 30k just from killing mobs while starting out with 0 Swords/0 Tactics. Last night I tried out a Lumberjack build, barely got my skills raised, and only earned something like 2100 (after I sell the logs I chopped).

Yikes I remember GM Taming being a bear of a skill to learn in vanilla UO days.

EDIT: I vaguely remember BOD having something to do with Bulk Order Deeds you filled from NPC's.
    newme likes this.
  12. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

welcome to UO:R. If you have any questions or need any help you can join the irc chat from your web browser and ask there http://www.uorenaissance.com/irc

Often people get started by picking up cotton or flax off the ground at the designated areas to build up bandages for training or simply combat with mobs. Many players also use starter gold to buy instruments and train provoking while in the young player program.

I think I pooled starter gold and resources to buy a blade spirit scroll for my spellbook and reagents and I blade spirited executioners in my first week. There's an executioner in the occlo dungeon that can be accessed from the young player program as well.

But as others have said - there is a healthy market for logs and ingots if you want to just pick up some hatchets or shovels and get to work. This would work best if you are willing to get into IRC and sell your resources.

Good luck! see you out there!
  13. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Disregard... PFR, misread.

Anyway, OP...

Gold is easy here. 52 give or take k gold to GM magery here.

Bard Warrior

Farm cotton, make 8k gold selling the cloth you make to players.
    Use 6k (or so) to buy up skills from NPC to get skill capped... except for herding.
    Set all skills up.
    Macro herding (with arrow UP) @ 0 skill for attributes.
    Will be 100/100/25 within 30 minutes (if you manage to macro snooping along with it).
    Macro musicianship till nearly GM.
    Hire a paladin.
    Get several training weapons of your choice (I recommend fencing (daggers))
    Make a ton of bandages
    Take paladin off to the woods somewhere
    Train weapon, healing, and PEACEMAKING in one macro loop on said hireling (or a dummy char from a 2nd account... w/e)

Keep this character around if you plan to do fishing.
    You can easily turn this into a provoke dexxer for the ancient MIB custom content here.

I made my little peacemaking warrior in a little over a day when I first got here and it bankrolled all my future plans as well as got me off to a good start here.

Cheers and welcome to UOR.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    MikeK and newme like this.
  14. Vampiresbane

Vampiresbane New Member

A bard warrior. Interesting combo. I could see that as advantageous. Little worried hacking against peaced enemies would get old REAL fast though.

Good info on what it takes to grind magery in this rendition of UO. What spells did you use may I ask?
    Typical ones I've heard of are:
    50-70: Mana Drain
    70-85: Energy Bolt
    85-100: Mana Vampire

Little house rules for myself. Won't be doing any macroing this go around. I did probably too much of that back in vanilla days and want to really earn my skills. I realize that means only 1 or 2 decked out characters instead of 5 or 6, but I think I'll enjoy that more.

That's how you use it? Awesome. Hadn't spent the time to look it up. That's super easy.

I might do that. I'm heavily considering training magery while casting on myself so the grind to increase my magic resistance isn't as painful.
    newme likes this.
  15. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member

There are enough free resist events on this shard that you don't necessarily need to make resist training your priority, unless you feel like you require it immediately. You can find notice of any such events in the Player Run Events sub forum. They'd also be hard to miss if you hang out in IRC.

Info on raising magery here: http://www.uorenaissance.com/info/Magery
    Pork Fried Rice and newme like this.
  16. newme

newme Well-Known Member

A lot of earning gold here, has to do with your individual play style. Many players afk macro skills, until their characters are skill maxed or high, before earning gold. Other players prefer to build skills in the field.

If you are still young and in Occlo, both the log collecting and ingots are fairly easy ways to earn gold. LOL When you get bored with one, do the other. "Mining/lumber-jacking" If not, I recommend that you mine/lumberjack in protected areas. West Brit farm lands are great for both. Don't forget T2A, Del is good for mining. Heads up, afk resource gathering is not allowed.

Don't forget the obvious, such as picking regents up off the ground. Granted, you won't collect tons of them, but for each one you pick up free, is keeping that coin in your bank.

Lot of really good advice has been posted above. :)

Welcome to our world. think you will really enjoy it here. Our staff is the best ever, and we've a fantastic player community. Just keep in mind, this is Fel=dangerous. Also, rune books are not blessed here, so don't carry your rune book with you; just a town rune and regents/recall scroll.

Westra on IRC, Main in game: Marjo, Governess of Wispfelt Village and GM of PVM Guild.

:)
    Kiryana likes this.
  17. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Welcome to UO Renaissance Vampiresbane!
    newme likes this.
  18. Andersonius

Andersonius Well-Known Member

Welcome to UOR Vampiresbane!!

Here is how i did things when I started. Each their own of course but my preference was killing things more than anything (farming) when starting out. I worked my dexxer starting in the brit cemetary killing skeletons (haha love it!). Once I got my skills up enough I moved onto shame level 1 which is really quite good gold for a dexxer. Also killing liches is another great way for a newer dexxer to make gold though you have to deal with spell casting etc. Remember to utilize your accounts so while you are farming with one character (your dexxer) you can have your bard macroing up music or provo or magery or whatever and your third account working up skills as well. Once I had my bard ready (I just went with a pure provo mage - magery med resist wrestling provo music eval) then the sky really becomes the limit. Once you have higher magery and GM provo and music you can farm almost anywhere you want and make tons of gold. This was that first provo mage I made and as you can see he can kill many a monster (I haven't really used this char in over a year) - http://www.uorenaissance.com/player/37585

Of course another thing would be to farm with your dexxer while your collecting things such as cloth or ingots etc. with another account or however you want to do it to enjoy yourself to the maximum!

Good luck establishing yourself and I hope to see you around!

Definitely utilize freesist events if the reg usage to GM yourself is too daunting!
    Alice Asteroid and newme like this.
  19. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

Welcome! If you fancy a daring adventure now and then seek out a Paws or PoB member in game. We're usually near the shrine of spirituality.

GM skills not required.
  20. MikeK

MikeK Well-Known Member

Recommend you start with a dexxer and kill things in Occlo than make a provoke mage. Both characters are useable in the long term as well.