BlackEye's House Security Series

Discussion in 'Guides' started by BlackEye, May 4, 2016.

1. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Lecture #1: Why you don't setup your house to public when it's not meant to be public.

So, I recently sold a house and had my thief from a previous heist in there. I didn't plant him on purpose inside, but I know that people are doing that.

Now assume that the new owner likes these fancy looking house shields that you can get, when you set your house to public. Public houses usually have no key to lock the door, so you normally don't keep anything lootable in range of visitors.
    But there is a well known trick (that I won't describe here), to have a public house AND keys to lock the door. This trick is often applied to get the nice shield design and have vendors outside, while you are able to lock the doors.
    But there is a huge flaw of that trick: Player toons that logged out in these public houses aren't booted out automatically, while they get kicked out in private houses. That means any planted (or in my case forgotten) toon is able to roam the house, loot all stuff and cause maximum havoc.

So, BlackEye's security advice for lecture #1 is as follows: Don't setup your houses to public, when you don't mean them to be public. Skip that fancy shield.

Disclaimer: No house owner was harmed, as I honor my trades and don't loot my customers. On the contrary, this series is meant to be educational and I hope it helps people in securing their goods.

HouseSecurityLesson1.jpg
    Lecture #2: Why you don't use your doorsteps as loot dropspot. (next week)
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
    Caska VS Trees, Tyndall and Eugen like this.
  2. Reginald

Reginald Well-Known Member

You can have a lockable vendor house, believe it or not.
  3. BlackEye

Fail.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    Caska VS Trees likes this.
  4. Reginald

Doh!

WTB Some reading skills.
    BlackEye and Caska VS Trees like this.
  5. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Houses should be able to have their signs changed anyway, and kept private... the plain signs look crappy . :D
    Katy and Caska VS Trees like this.
  6. Reginald

I guess you want the picture of some dynamite daddy?
  7. PaddyOBrien

@BlackEye a thought occurred to me regarding this public house thing. My theory is, that one could ghost into a public house, and self-rez inside with high enough compassion. It would be interesting to try this out, if so, it would be another major security flaw in doing this "public house sign on a lockable house" method. Has anyone tried "self-rezzing" inside a public house?
    One and BlackEye like this.
  8. Caska VS Trees

Caska VS Trees Well-Known Member

I just like the idea of someone working hard enough on their Compassion ]so they can rob someone. :p
    M3THMOUTH, PaddyOBrien and BlackEye like this.
  9. Pill

Pill Well-Known Member

Fairly certain you can't self res inside of a house period, regardless of status.
  10. BlackEye

Need to be tried out. :)
  11. PaddyOBrien

Hahaha that is actually a funny thought... and very un-virtuous!!!

It would be interesting to get an official test on self-rezzing inside, you're probably right on that Pill, otherwise we'd have looted houses all over haha. However, I do wonder if the fact that the house is technically public even though locked would make any difference.