Blacksmiths on UOR

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by TylerD, May 30, 2018.

1. TylerD

TylerD New Member

I am currently building my smith, because on older shards I never did that, but always wanted to.

While skilling said smith, I realized/read that on UOR plate armor or weaker metal armor is pretty much inferior to bone or leather armor.

So as a total beginner in terms of blacksmithing I would like to ask, if its worth bulding a blacksmith in UOR and why?

Thanks alot!
  2. eherruh

eherruh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

As with everything in UO, the worth is going to depend a lot on what you ascribe value to personally.

If you are planning to get rich selling your smithy wares, you are going to be disappointed.

If you want to play the BOD game or have a convenient way to repair your high-end weapons without the risk of taking them into town, then you'll have to weigh the literal cost (ingots run 8gp/per and you'll need tens and tens of thousands to GM) against those benefits.
  3. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Do you want to BoD or not?

I say it is definitely worth it, but you need to BoD.
  4. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

I think just about any character combination can be successful if backed by the right personality.

The thing that others will come in and say about bulk order deeds and the lack of interest in black smithing goods is not easily debated.

That said in similar situations I've been pleasantly surprised by the ingenuity of some of our players to turn something often overlooked or passed over into a successful enterprise.

I'll say this if you are an active role playing honest to goodness blacksmith wandering the streets with your pack horse named Millie selling your wares I would stop dead in my tracks and buy up your lot.
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  5. TylerD

TylerD New Member

I guess its kind of my own fault, since I started a warrior and wanted to back him up with the smith. Slowly realizing that the warrior is not the best choice for PvM here and the plate armor is mostly useless, because of dex loss.

Since I already have 100 mining and 93 or so blacksmithing, I thought why not get it done anyway. There must at least be something good in a smith.
    Well, I will get into BoDs then and maybe arms lore and identification or something like that.
  6. Holden

Holden Well-Known Member

Lately there has been a resurgence in melee dexxer play. So running a well stocked vendor shop of GM and poisoned weapons and armor, would see decent business I think. Especially if you get a spot near cove, as there are at least 2 guilds based there.
    Add in a vendor for bandages, maybe potions. It could be a one stop restock shop.
    eherruh likes this.
  7. RIN

RIN Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Blacksmithing can be useful for numerous reasons:

1. You can use it with carpentry to make house add-ons.
    2. You can use it to BOD.
    3. You can use it on a hybrid warrior for NoH during Halloween. And yes, I stole this idea from @Gideon Jura ;) (Hey, it's a great idea!)
    4. You can use it to sell GM Armor (not a huge market but still... I think Witchcraft made tons of money doing that at Rezon's vendor house in Ocllo)
    5. You can use it to make and sell Runic weapons. Best if paired with BODing.
    6. You can repair any metal armor/weapons yourself.
    7. You can use it with the Poisoning skill to make poisoned GM weapons to sell.

And there are probably more uses. Don't just discount it because of its straight gold/hour. It's just far too useful in my opinion to not GM if you have a crafter anyway.
  8. Erza Scarlet

Erza Scarlet Well-Known Member

I did RP a Dwarf Dexer for a while here.

BS, Mining
    Mace Anat Tactics Healing Resist

Hell lot of fun for a while, i would look out for Roleplay in your case.
    Its suitable to join the cove militia for example, or even an Orc smith, or Brigand could come into question.

You can also earn a LOT of money with Gargoyle mining, having BS on that toon will be some sort of all in one template.

NEVER DROP BS!
    RIN and Holden like this.
  9. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

... faction Smith too.
    Erza Scarlet and RIN like this.
  10. Faber

Faber Well-Known Member

On your old shard, did you ever fish? If not, and you're looking to try something new that can make you a lot of gold on UOR, then try fishing!
    Last edited: May 31, 2018
  11. Xavant_BR

Xavant_BR Well-Known Member

Tyler we have similar histories.. My first objective was to make something that in another shards i couldnt. But i just realized all the bs system characteristcs when i was with 92 of bs.

My advise is: gm it anyway. Is very pleasurable do your own stuffs. I advise also about make a tank for pvm. Do it! Yeah, is not the easy way but is not impossible. You can farm and have even more pleasure them you will have saying commands to dragons or playing music.

My ideas to make the BS market more dynamic and pleasurable in Renaissence:
    -Flexibilize the runnic hammer access.
    - Give more damage range to weapons made without runic hammers, according the kind of ore. A valorite katana, even if not made with runic hammer, should be a good weapon, compared with some magic ones...
    -Decrease highly the durability of the bones armors. Its being so much defensive, but should have a weaker point.
    -For me is not very clear the relation between arms lore and blacksmith.
    -The same about stats.
    -Lass loss while smelting valorite and verite.
    -Lesser dexterity loss using plate.
    -Increase the durability and capability gap between more abundant ores and rares ones.
    -Increase parry effectivness could enter in this context.

Another idea for the carpenters and for the mages:
    -Why not give the capability to the wooden staffs be used while casting(this could create another category of mage, the macer).

And i know, someone talked about this points... but will be nice to debate this.