Blessing Runic Weapons for non-Faction Characters

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Blaise, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I suggest, as a potential gold-sink for the shard, that we allow non-Faction characters to bless their weapons when crafting with Runic Hammers.
    In order to make it not only desirable for them but beneficial to the shard's economy, the blessing should have a gold cost based on the level of the hammer.

Players would need to be at a public blacksmith, with the requisite amount of gold in their pack (if under 10,000) or on their bank (if over 2000).

The same three week blessing would be applied, just as it is for Factions but the item can be used by any player (including Factions).
    1000 Gold for Dull Copper
    2000 Gold for Shadow Iron (Force Equivalent when GM Crafted) or Copper (+10 Force Equivalent when GM Crafted)
    5000 Gold for Bronze (+10 Power Equivalent when GM Crafted)
    10000 Gold for Gold (+15 Vanq Equivalent when GM Crafted)
    50000 Gold for Agapite (+15 Tactics +11 Damage when GM Crafted) or Verite (+20 Tactics +11 Damage when GM Crafted)
    250000 Gold for Valorite (+25 Tactice +13 Damage when GM Crafted)

Allowing all players to enjoy the mechanics of TEMPORARY weapon blessing in exchange for a healthy gold-sink, would be a boon to the shard and the PvP community members who may not have interest in Factions.

Will this put blessed runics in the hands of PKs? Most certainly, for a cost. Will this mean that everyone will be running around with blessed runics constantly, most certainly not. If they are, then that is a sign of good activity on the shard which should be welcomed.

Anyway, just a thought. I know it would potentially benefit me because of the amount of hammers I have on hand but I'm not in the business of selling runics or charges. I tend to give them away more often than not, but this could open up a huge market for player crafters to actually get out there and craft in town based on player demands.
    Yen-lo-Wang likes this.
  2. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

As the owner of rotting gold I wholeheartedly support this initiative.

I do, however, believe there are aspects of the game that are currently undesirable and thus should earn the attention of a gold sink idea or just a good ol' fixing before creating something like this. See: slayer weapons and how they don't exist.

Slayer weapons to me are like how spell delay was to Tater ... .... :(
  3. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Slayer weapons are out there and as you can see, the really hard to get ones sell for a quarter mil +.
    I'd love to see some slim chance of Slayers being crafted with the practically worthless DC or Shadow. However, I believe Telamon still intends to add Slayers to treasure map chests. At which time, you can be fairly confident that more slayers will hit the market and I'll be breaking out the myriad maps I have piled up.

How about we make the gold cost for the player-runics X2 or 3 and allow selection of which slayer type you want.
    IE: DC Runic 1000g to bless for 3 weeks, or 3000g to select a slayer type (no stacking of benefits so NO blessed slayers)
    Cynic likes this.
  4. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

thankfully this will never happen
  5. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

I'll risk speaking for someone else, but only because I've heard this particular explanation A LOT.

The reason the phoenix armor pieces are newbied on this shard, instead of blessed like we all know and have documentation of being the case on OSI, is because of fear of word spreading that some murderer somewhere is running around in blessed armor on this shard.

Now, bear in mind this armor has the functionality of store-bought ringmail (like 23 AR for the suit), ringmail of course cripples mages wearing it, there's only one set on the shard and it took a year to put together, etc. Nonetheless, this caused enough concern from Chris that it was nerfed to newbied rather than blessed.

tl;dr... I think the odds of a new system of blessing stuff that allows it to get in the hands of murderers is perhaps the single suggestion in all my time on this shard that is Least Likely to Happen.*

* this title was formerly held by Wodan's "blessed rune" thread.
    Liberation likes this.
  6. napo

napo Well-Known Member

Can't say I'm in favor of this, it seems pretty ridiculous.

Also for those wondering if they will end up in the hands of PKs, please take a moment to consider that Blaise's good friend Bart is one of the most prolific newbie gankers on the server and also one of the richest players on the server.
    If the question is one of whether blessed high level runics will be used to PK new players, the answer is almost undoubtedly yes. Personally, I think it throws the risk/reward dynamic associated with being red right out the window. A runic weapon is by far the most valuable thing you risk when you go out and allowing people to avoid the risk of losing it is something that I consider to be pretty crazy.

This also further widens the gap between the fat cats who can afford runic weapons and blessing them and allows them to beat on other players with high end weapons with no risk of losing them. I think pvp should be equal opportunity and am against any additions to the game that make it more of a rich man's game.
  7. Liberation

Liberation Well-Known Member

so item insurance?
    Basoosh and Gideon Jura like this.
  8. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

too much trammel I counter with "take out faction blessed weps"
  9. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Sorry, I guess just remove weapons and make it a 5x only shard. lol
    Thankfully TT doesn't run the shard, only their mouths.
    Item insurance was perpetual on OSI and nothing even remotely close to a three week faction blessing for a single item.
    *inserts lol image for most immature response possible*

For what it's worth, PKs ALREADY HAVE RUN, AND WILL RUN, with blessed runics. I understand folks have a terrible memory when it comes to things they don't like, but Mutombo was Faction blessing runics practically two years ago (for his red) at this point and nothing has changed. The only difference the idea makes is that you don't need to pointlessly control a faction town versus whatever zerg is presently holding all towns. So as for the worst idea you've heard yet, Dalavar, you might want to update your Blue's Clues notebook.

Personally I don't need or really want this mechanic a great deal. The idea was more for the non-factioners who feel like the runic hammers are a wonderful reward that ONLY benefit a very very small subset of the shard (ie: imbalanced because I don't see any restrictions on top tier mask dyes or other Tailor rewards). Bartimus doesn't need this option to get blessed runics any more than anyone else who has faction characters. Hell, we could all very easily just join SL and have blessed runics and no oranges to oppose us too, for practically no cost at all.

So as for suggestions that are least likely to happen regarding murderers with blessed runics, sorry guys, it's been that way since launch and them being orange won't change how they act in the field, at all.

The three week blessing is VERY SHORT TERM in relation to the game itself. There are two valorite runic axes out there that are not in Faction players hands but no one's up in arms about that. It's ok, I wasn't surprised in the least to see the SL hate-train riding all over these tracks. Fat cats and zerg mongers wouldn't want any heat from people who don't have big numbers and forts full of loot.
  10. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

250k for a valorite weapon blessing? Sign me up for 2 years please, I'll pay upfront.
    Nice now I can leave the CTF lobby.
  11. napo

napo Well-Known Member

What was that phrase used to describe when someone takes a reasonable thing you said and distorts it into something unreasonable trying to make you look bad? That's what this is.

Anyway, I would argue that the difference between a faction blessed weapon and one that could be blessed without being in a faction is that to get the faction based weapon, you have to deal with pvpers and you have to get the towns. You have to prove your chops as a pvper, or at the very least be willing to stay up all night and cap the towns while we're asleep.
    But you have made a wonderful point for the removal of faction blessed weapons, ShadowJack should give your post a like. What you have not done is made a case for why blessed weapons for everyone else is a good thing.
    Jack of Shadows likes this.
  12. Jack of Shadows

take out runebook bless deeds too :D

friggen richers.
  13. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

you can claim it has something to do with SL or TT until you're blue in the face, but this is obviously never going to happen here

i know it's pointless to argue with you, so how about you spend the next five days bumping this thread with baseless comments like 'it'll be a boon to the shard, and help pvp!' and then we'll just let this slip into the retarded idea graveyard with the rest of your abortions

edit:

almost forgot

YouGotShitOnAgainCat.gif
    English John likes this.
  14. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

Straw man is the word you define here.
  15. Liberation

Liberation Well-Known Member

"since i can't seem to win at factions, can i just have the blessed weapons anyway?"
    Mes likes this.
  16. Jack of Shadows

Don't be mean, he was just throwing out an idea. Not one a lot of us will agree with (I'm for less trammel for sure((fix stealing *coughs till blood comes out*)) but that snarky attitude everyone cops at each other has gotten old. It makes people here look like bad attitude having petulant children.
  17. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

I think Runics and especially blessed runics are trammel.
    Punt and Gideon Jura like this.
  18. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  19. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

Would definitely not be in favor of this.

I would even go as far as being in favor of removing faction blessed weapons.
  20. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

Here's the thing, from someone who actually enjoys playing a dexxer even though it's kinda silly.

You take away blessing and you might as well take dexxers out of the mix. I'm not getting involved in this new idea proposed by Blaise but the faction blessing is a huge benefit to players that don't want to lose a vanq every time they go out there. I play my mage when I need to but I'd rather play a dexxer and losing a vanq every time I die is, well, disheartening. And let's be honest here.. if you pvp with anything less than a power/vanq then you're not going to really get anywhere.

This opens up an entirely different can of worms and that's how dexxers are a little broken. Yea, I landed a 49 point LJ axe blow today from a golden runic, but the next shot after that was in the low teens. I can go on all day here with this...

Long story short, the faction bless allows for dexxers to bring out the runics here and there. As the shard grows older I wouldn't be surprised in seeing verite and agapite runics being normally used under faction blesses much like gold is becoming the norm now. Right now using a stun mage in PvP is really the only option considering that when you die it's just regs and leather, not to mention how strictly consistent the damage output is when compared to a dexxer.
    Blaise likes this.