Blocking House Placement (People, items, corpses, etc)

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Cynic, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I really don't know what it was like in era because I bought my houses already placed. I didn't place my first house until way after AOS.

Currently, on UOR, just about anything that's in the way of your future house will block it's placement.

Animal/Monster corpses, living people/animals/monsters, and items, will block placement of a house. Surprisingly, a human corpse does not block placement, but the corpse of an effing bird is too much to handle.

I know when I first started to place houses that the house placement would automatically spread out all the items/people in the area to the outskirts of the property and allow you to place as if the land was free and clear. Was this coded way after era?

Is this something that would not fit in here on UOR?
  2. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

Just take the extra 5 seconds it takes to cut the corpse twice and then place your house.
  3. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I'm thinking more about at IDOCs, or when placing a large house in a populate area.. like ice island. It's a pain in the ass to kill 15 polar bears, a wandering healer, and then skin them all.
  4. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

I don't think anything should make idocing easier.

As far as placing in populated areas you could attack everything and lead it away from the area. I've done this dozens of times across multiple shards and it works just fine.
  5. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I know it works fine the current way, I've done it many times myself, it's still a pain in the ass. Hence why I'm questioning how it was in era and not just arguing that the current mechanic needs to change just because I dislike it.
  6. Russell

Russell Well-Known Member

almost positive corpses dont block placement, if they do its becuase the corpse is on a foundation line. and by that I mean... Multi 0x7D.jpg
  7. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I never looked at it like that, I may have to test this now.
  8. Russell

Russell Well-Known Member

Russell_3-10_11.37-1.jpg
    dirt patches like these will block placement if on a foundation line

There are 2 major things when placing a house, the ground along the foundation lines is all the same level ( you can place over elevated ground as long as it doesnt interfere with the foundation), and that any environmental object directly under the house ( trees, shrubs, logs ) are classified ass "passable". this is how I was able to place multiple houses over tables inside the serpent hold guard tower not too long ago, the tables did not interfere with any of the foundations.

there are also some rare times where you can target a shore tile facing south or east and get the house to pop up somewhere close to shore.

congratulations you have just been upgraded to pro status house placer!
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  9. Xegugg

Xegugg Well-Known Member

On OSI they had made changes to house placing. It was like how you have it here now, then later it was changed that anything blocking placement would be kicked to under the house sign once you ok'd the placement of the house. I could drop a house place another on top and all my chests and items were under the house sign.
  10. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Animal corpses do not block placement here. Unless something changed in the last 3-6 months. I've specifically slain animals and monsters and placed immediately over their corpses. Even human corpses, with contents, can be placed over here. If you're getting blocked there is either an irregularity in the land, something alive in the way or any item (even a gem).

I don't think the aforementioned corpses can be on the frame lines of the placed house though, as I think Russell indicated (I didn't really read his post).

I would absolutely not be in support of all items that can be moved being pushed to the perimeter on placement. That's some trammel ass crap there if I ever heard it.

The solution is called CTRL+shift and clean the area. :)
  11. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

I was going to say this (but, 1 month).

Whether items get moved or not seems like an ease of use issue (and/or a server health issue) since it's a pain to "clean up" items stuck under a house when you place over it. I know I couldn't figure out how to do it.

In terms of Trammelization, it's still going to be a competition to place after an IDOC. Whether it's a game of who-can-double-click-the-fastest after the drop, or who-can-double-click-the-fastest after the last blocking item is removed, I don't see much difference.
  12. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

If everything just got pushed aside, I would imagine the game of "who-can-double-click-the-fastest after the drop" would be consistently won by a hidden alt with a house placement macro looping(attended).
  13. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that's got some restrictions (timing) and is also part of the AFK Gump-check system.
  14. El Horno

Ya there is a short delay to house placement, something a small pause in the macro could easily get around, and since your not AFK I would imagine answering the gump correctly would be a breeze too.
    Personally I would run the bot and put it on one of my extra screens and glance at it occasionally to check for AFK gumps, and then attend the idoc with a PK or something to push away anyone else trying to place/loot. It just would let you focus on looting and controlling the spawn without lowering your chances for getting the blockers placed.
  15. El Horno

That said, it has been a long time but I remember the items would be pushed away in era. As soon as the house fell tons of houses replaced them.
  16. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I don't think Razor allows for house placing on macro.. I'm sure other 3rd party (illegal) programs do.
  17. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I fondly recall my first/last/most awesome IDOC placement here on Skara Brae. HC was attacking with WWs and shit, there was at least a dozen folks there. I realized at one point that if I just moved myself and my dragons two tiles west....bang, small house.

Such a fun day that was.
  18. napo

napo Well-Known Member

Back in era if someone sneezed funny it would block house placement.
    Animal corpses, an arrow someone left on the ground, or a shitty sulf ash that just happened to spawn there would block the shit out of that house.

If I remember correctly, actual mobiles (players and animals) were kicked to the front door if the house was placed on them.
  19. Baine

Baine Well-Known Member

This is what I remember as well.
  20. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

Kicking to the front door came after trammel according to my old ass memory - was actually under the house sign where it appeared

So you could place a new house right over all the crap of something that just fell, then move the stuff inside your new house at your leisure

Later came the dreaded Moving Crate, you could pack up your own house into a moving crate, but pretty sure that was tied to custom housing