BoD Improvements

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Mutombo, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Mutombo

Mutombo Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I think some people who have endeavored to take on smith bods have expressed some dissatisfaction with the reward matrix. I suggest we improve the matrix by adding more items. That way the existing items do no go down in rariety, we get more pixels to decorate our houses with, and the matrix will make more sense.

Here is a link to the existing matrix
    http://www.uorenaissance.com/info/bod/smith.html

What you are going to see is a lot of rewards yield fortification powder. On the lower end of that spectrum that is fine, however when you are filling a Large 20 exceptional plate iron bod, you end up using approximately 10,000 iron ingots and your reward is 30k gold and fort powder, that simply does not make sense.

For the purpose of discussion I am going to provide some in game items that I suggest be added to the matrix. Please see below:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BLACKSMITHY ADDS
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hanging Decorative Weapons of Various Types

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hanging Wall Torch and Hanging Wall Candle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Third Type of Brazier (as of now there are short ones and tall ones this is the middle one)

[​IMG]

A higher end add that would be cool is

POWDER of ACCURACY (you can boost your tactics bonus to your weapon)

TAILORING ADDS

More Tapestries!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Woven Mats/Bed Deeds

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Throne / Serpent's Seal

[​IMG]

ADDITIONAL ITEMS TO BE CONSIDERED FOR BLACKSMITH/TAILORING

Hanging Pole and Peg Board

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lamp Post

[​IMG]

Other Kinds of table (deeds)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stone Wall Mural Deeds

[​IMG]

Fancy Benches

[​IMG]

Vanity Mirror

[​IMG]

Sandstone Oven/Fireplace

[​IMG]

Archery Training Thing

[​IMG]

Ankh

[​IMG]

Gilloteen

[​IMG]

Deed for an Executioner's Block

[​IMG]

Deed for this really uncomfortable looking (torture) bed

[​IMG]

Not sure what these are but they are hanging things... look closely at wall

[​IMG]

Finally, in addition to adding some of these items I suggest we up the gold reward for BoDs by 30-50%

Thanks for reading and lets open this up for discussion.
  2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I agree there is definitely room for improvement in the lower end of the matrix. We recently identified a discrepancy in the smelt recovery on crafted items and the ingot loss on failure to create. I think that will be addressed soon, which should tone down the burden of large plate bods. Even still, I feel improvement could stand to be made in their regard.
    Low end plate is just simply not worth the ingot cost, let alone the time spent on completion.

That being said, I feel that while I like a lot of the suggested items, I feel that some of them would be more suited for the intended Carpentry BoD system.

The Silver Serpent emblem would be cool if there were equivalent items for the other three factions and I don't know about using that throne anywhere else. :p
  3. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

The BOD system seems to me to be one of the best ways to get rich on this shard... and it's risk-free to boot.

Granted I'm new to it, but I got into it knowing that some BODs are clunkers. Especially with Tailoring... the stretched hides and stuff are just not appealing to me, and judging by their apparent value, I'm not alone.

If you're increasing the utility of the currently "bad" BODs, you're increasing the overall value gained from the system, thus making it an even more valuable system to players.

The first step IMO would be to decide if the value gained from the system is too high, too low, or just right. And if it's just right, and you want to improve some bad BODs, you should lessen the good ones too.
  4. Mutombo

Mutombo Active Member

I agree with Blaise in that some of the Additional items I posted in this thread would be better suited for Carpentry rewards.

That said I feel hanging weapons are definitely suited for blacksmithy and more tapestries are suited for tailoring.

In addition i think the the handing torch/candle are blacksmithy appropriate.

The third suggested Brazier is a blacksmithy appropriate reward.

I think the stone mural could be blacksmithy or carpentry
  5. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

6. newme

newme Well-Known Member

I like your suggestion for bod reward improvements. Although I really like all the items you listed as possible
    bod rewards, I think some of them would be more suited to "rare hunt" items. But of course, everyone has their own idea what is the "coolest items"
    Thanks for bringing this subject to forums. I also agree some of the items are more suited to tailoring or the carpentry (when in place)
    Thanks

Westra
  7. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Heck yeah, craft them in a faction controlled town with your faction crafter!!
  8. [Mobolin]

[Mobolin] Active Member

Absolutely yes.
    And I also agree to save some of those for the carpentry bod rewards.
  9. Falcon

Falcon Member

What you are going to see is a lot of rewards yield fortification powder. On the lower end of that spectrum that is fine, however when you are filling a Large 20 exceptional plate iron bod, you end up using approximately 10,000 iron ingots and your reward is 30k gold and fort powder, that simply does not make sense.

Filling the same BoD, only its was Dull Copper, (20 except plate Dull Copper)
    Plate Helm = 899 ingots
    Gloves = 462 ingots
    Gorget = 425 ingots
    Arms = 1566 ingots
    Leggings = 1840 ingots
    Tunic = 5081 ingots

Total = 10,273 ingots

Yield = 53,411 gp and a Brazier deed.

Two points here,
    First, I wont bothered to do this LBod for Powder of Fortification (20 charges) and 53.4k! You pick which Bod's you want to do and you can see the yield before you start.
    Secondly, PoF might be under valued here. Currently you can not repair most (if not all) tailoring / reward items. So if you want to rock your 1st year reward items 24/7 you are going to need to bump up the durable of them, although Sandies don't really take a beating.

Staff and alot of players have spent much time working/reviewing BoD rewards. Most rewards are spot on, a few including PoF (some) and maybe a couple of the low end runic hammers seem out of whack.

Again, How do you want to spent your time? Are we just looking to get something really cool, really quick and easy? Do you call the people at "Halo" because a weapon is to hard to get?

Only shard I've played that list the locations of all rares.

Its a game, not a career path. Play! Enjoy!
  10. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Falcon, I think the simple fact that no one bothers to even do large iron plate BoDs is a fairly clear sign that the rewards for them are a waste of time/resources.
  11. Dalavar

But the fact that people still bother getting BODs, knowing that some of them are a waste of time/resources, is a fairly clear sign that there is still plenty of viable rewards in the system, and that one should think hard before making the system even more rewarding.
  12. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Dalavar, that doesn't even make sense. Not to be insulting, but what does that even mean?

Of course we're going to bother getting bods, because the high end is actually well worth the time/resources put in. If we don't fill bods we can't flip them for more chances at bods that are worth more than the time it takes to put them in the trash barrel.

The fact that literally no one completes large iron bods, should say something pretty clearly.
    I'm not saying we should get a mountain of gold and epic items for completing low end large bods, but literally anything that would be remotely desireable would suit better. There is a reason people simply throw out low end large bods. Same reason they sit on people's vendors for 250g each and don't get sold.

They are shit and there is no point at all in completing them. Literally the two best items you can get out of a large iron bod are a Dull Copper hammer (shit, I give htem away because they are so common and give jack shit for bonus properties on crafted item) and a colored anvil? HOLY HELL A COLORED ANVIL, NO WAY!?!?!! Most boring item ever. Maybe it's just me, but making the entire anvil a solid hue makes it look like shit. I suppose the ability to lock it down is nice, but wtf ever. Gimme a forge to go with is so I can rock it on my boat and MAYBE it'll be worth 10k iron to fill a large plate bod.
  13. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

It means that if the smithing BOD system is balanced from a profitibablity standpoint as it stands in current day, then adding new rewards would make it even more profitable. Maybe making it unbalanced.

I personaly say oh well. More rewards! More cool stuff! More, more, more!
  14. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

It's really not greatly profitable unless you hit the high end bods. The point here is that on things like plate iron larges, you could make more money just selling the damn ingots you would have spent filling it.

Hence, they have no proper value and that is why they are presently useless until some low-end rewards are implemented for them, or in the very least a gold reward remotely equivalent to the resources and time spent.

Yes, I would rather have 80k gp instead of a dull copper hammer.
  15. Falcon

Falcon Member

Blaise,

So what? you want a shiny new toy for every Bod you turn in? You stated the problem (you) have with the smithy rewards, how would you fix it? More trammie house addd - ons? I would like to spent all my time crying in IRC, and then getting the "harder" to get rewards. Stop crying about the problems, unless you have the soluition.
  16. Falcon

Falcon Member

Hence, they have no proper value and that is why they are presently useless until some low-end rewards are implemented for them, or in the very least a gold reward remotely equivalent to the resources and time spent.

Yes, I would rather have 80k gp instead of a dull copper hammer.

STOP FILLING THEM!!!!!!

or turn in six (6) small BoDs.
  17. Dalavar

Well, I'll do a few, because I'm new to the system and I think it's fun.

But, my point is... the BOD system is already an entirely risk-free profit center for players that has little interaction with other players and is managed mostly through your house and recalling around town. And not only that, it's a very profitable activity!

So if you're removing the clunkers and adding useful/cool items in their place, you're increasing the rewards of this activity even more... further tipping the risk/reward ratio.

If you're going to remove clunkers and put in desirable items, you need to make the high-end items even more rare. Unless you think the BOD system is not rewarding enough as it is right now... in which case, that's an entirely separate (and insane, IMO) discussion.
  18. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I, and all other people filling large bods for goods, are already doing. There's literally no reason at all to fill a large bod that will get you PoF, when you've got half a dozen smalls that will do the same. Oh but wait, 5/10/20 charges!!! ZOMG, THE REWARD IS SO GOOD I FELL OUT OF MY CHAIR. CAN I PLEASE USE 10,000+ ingots for 20k worth of PoF powder? SOFA KING AWESOME. lol

Dalavar, every crafting profit is entirely risk free if you're buying your resources in bulk from other players, in the bounds of the Guard Zones. Hell, I can buy resources in town and craft them for profits right there and never leave GZ or even need a house.

The point is that those large bods should have some incentive to be filled. As it stands, everyone just does what Falcon said. They shitcan the associated large and flip the smalls for more chances to get bods that are worth more than the time it takes to throw them out. We're not suggesting making millionaires out of iron large fillers, but at least give any valid reason for doing them other than 'because they exist'. lol
  19. Dalavar

You're trying to argue with me, but you're not addressing my point. Which, I guess you have no obligation to do, but it makes for a poor back-and-forth.

Blaise: bad BODs are not worth the ingots
    Dalavar: but that would make the BOD system more profitable than it already is
    Blaise: yeah but bad BODs are lame and should get better
    Dalavar: do you think the BOD system should be more profitable, less profitable, or the same?
    Blaise: for reals, the bad BODs are a waste of time

If you think the bad BODs should have their rewards improved, and the good ones should stay the same, then you're implicitly saying that the BOD system should be more rewarding than it currently is. Which I think is insane. But that's just my .02.
  20. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Unless we tie in factions and you have to craft in faction controlled towns for faction specific rewards... but you know, too risky.