Bola's

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Jittery Sauce, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Jittery Sauce

Jittery Sauce Member

Is there a way you could implement creating Bola's into the server? I think they would be a great asset for some rpers as well. What do you all think about bola's?
  2. Ningauble

Ningauble Active Member
    UO:R Donor

Crap when EA/OSI did em. Would be Crap here too. Just my opinion.
  3. Jittery Sauce

Jittery Sauce Member

What was crap about them?
  4. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

The fact that they are an equivalent to an insta kill in PvP.
  5. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

There has been discussion about implementing bolas in a restricted sense. For example, only usable by RP guilds in their respective town areas, or other such concepts. I think there is room for them in a shard with no mount fatigue. If a decently functional fatigue is implemented, I'd see no point in adding them. However, there are ethereals here so that poses the problem of no fatigue there, unless they implement a combination of rider fatigue requiring refresh potions to keep up the full sprint.
  6. Jittery Sauce

Jittery Sauce Member

That pretty much sums it up as to why I would like to see them implemented. If your on foot and someone with bad intend is mounted you are at a huge disadvantage. Having a bola that simply dismounts them, with possibly a minimal damage, levels the playing field. Even if mounts still do not get fatigued making bolas available can level the playing field for anyone choosing to be on foot or simply caught in a bad situation on foot.
  7. Ningauble

Ningauble Active Member

On this shard there is a certain group of bad intent players that are commonly found on foot. I'm not sure handing Snap & Co a way to knock you off your horsie is a great idea :)
  8. Jittery Sauce

Jittery Sauce Member

Well yeah it would work both ways but fair is fair
  9. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

Arguably, so is a stun from a wrestle mage.

I like bolas, they aren't much of a problem 1v1, considering you would be dismounted the same length of time as your opponent.

They were crap when implemented because OSI didn't find the bug where you could record a macro to dismount, "arm bola", remount, then run around with the bola cursor up. If you have a bola armed then you shouldn't be able to mount.
  10. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

I'd explain why bolas are a terrible idea (from a pvp perspective) but I think the admins already are well aware and there's no real risk of them being a thing. This server won't have a pvp scene if there are bolas - skilled pvpers will just play the next best shard.

Jittery Sauce: no offense to you at all, and I think the admins are open to anything that makes the experience better for you. If you could help them find a way to bring bolas into the game that doesn't hurt other play-styles I know they will be very receptive.

Welcome to the server!
    Liberation likes this.
  11. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

If someone casts an EV on you, on foot, you are dead. Bola + EV = you are dead. I play almost always on foot anyway, and even I don't care for bolas.
  12. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

No need. Would be abused.
  13. Akasha

Akasha Member

Take this as gently as possible but DIE IN A FIRE, virtually of course.

Bolas ruin pvp.
  14. Liberation

Liberation Well-Known Member

like new player
    hate bolas
  15. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member

Bolas are not good for pvp and they have quite a few bugs as well. I wouldn't mind seeing them implemented in RP town areas though.
  16. LudKrud

LudKrud Active Member

Uruk lub bow-las...dumhed umies alla tyme ryden grub......ruhn awai.........bah......
  17. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

We got polar bears during an event, I don't see why Bolas can't be used inside an event instance.

For most of the instance events we were on foot, I am sure Chris can come up with a fun scenario involving us on foot and mounted NPCs attacking us or something along those lines.

As far as in game, I personally never used bolas as I only spent a few hours on osi on a friend's account so I have no idea of their implications but the majority of feedback here and irc seems to reflect a great disdain for them so i doubt they will ever be fully implemented.
  18. napo

napo Well-Known Member

I'm strongly against any situation that could end with bolas being used in pvp. Dismount mechanics diminish the effect of player skill and make gank squads relatively stronger.
  19. LudKrud

LudKrud Active Member

Makes me laugh when all you "PvP'ers" start shaking in your boots because you cant run away........

NOOOGRAAAHH!!!!!!
    GONG and Sticks like this.