Bone Armor crafting difficulty

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Dalavar, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Is there any particular reason Bone Armor crafting difficulty is harder than regular leather?

Theoretically it kind of makes sense, but in practice it makes bone BODs near-worthless and makes the crafting of bone armor for combat purposes just a little bit more undesirable.

It doesn't seem unreasonable to me that it could have the same success rates as leather armor, with the additional bone requirements supplying the increased difficulty aspect.
  2. Walisin

Walisin Member

On production shards, craftable bone armor was introduced along with BODs and Powerscrolls. The high difficulty makes sense in that context, as it was supposed to provide an advantage to tailors with >100.0 skill points.

I'm not sure what the crafting difficulty is on this shard, but without access to Powerscrolls it might have to be adjusted downward further; possibly to difficulty levels similar to those of studded leather.
  3. Dalavar

Ah, thanks for the background. I never had a crafter on production.

Here is an example of the difficulties now:

100%/64% Leather Tunic
    78%/33% Bone Tunic
    62%/20% Studded Tunic

Bone is probably the least-worn armor, since it's similar in nature to plate, chain and ring, but is not repairable. It's also probably the least-done BOD type, since it's a huge pain to gather the bones, and the failure rate is so high.

To further let you know how clueless I am about this, I thought bone armor crafting was a UOR customization, I never knew it existed on production :) But just figured I'd start the discussion.
  4. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

5. Walisin

Walisin Member

If those numbers are correct, then crafting difficulty was already adjusted substantially, I think. My memory is fairly hazy when it comes to this, but I believe "exceptional" chance for Bone Tunics at 100.0 Tailoring was next to 0% originally.
    The numbers you provided seem very favourable to me, unless a dot fell out and that's really a 3.3% chance. :p
  6. Dalavar

Favorable compared to what?

If you're comparing rates at 100.0 skill here to 100.0 on OSI, that's silly, since most crafters were able to get much higher than 100.0 on there.

Let's put it this way. Giant Serpents provide both Bones (1) and Spined Hides (12?) upon death. To fill a 15xSpined Bone Tunic BOD, you'd need to kill about 583 of them. To fill all the pieces of a similar large, it's probably around 1,500.

Wise, the other thread focused on increasing the rewards. I'm wary of that, since I think tailoring BODs are pretty darn profitable as it is. Of course, making these easier so people actually might do them is sort of an indirect step on that path as well, albeit a smaller step. Just figured I'd mention it.
  7. Walisin

Walisin Member

Compared to the situation on production shards, yes, but also compared to the Studded Leather Tunic here (if you ignore resources for a second).
    My tailor ended up at somewhere around 115.0 skill points, and only then did he have any sort of luck crafting exceptional Bone Tunics.

I think much of the issue is coming in here:

Do Giant Serpents not drop spines, rib cages and similar bone parts that can be cut up? On production shards, those yielded several bones each during this era. I used to run a leather/bone vendor for some time, and while it took effort to collect enough bones for a large BOD, it was realistically doable.
    Please don't nail me on the number of bones each fragment turned into, but it could have gone as high as 10 or so, on the largest?

Do you think era accuracy on this end could be the solution?
  8. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

Walisin, serpents here only drop a single bone, no rib cages and such. Skeletons and zombies are the only things that drop the piles of bones that can be cutup into multiple bones.
  9. Paradigm

Paradigm Active Member

There are lot of things here that are difficult, and I enjoy that. It is in my humble opinion that bone armor bods are just straight unplayable.