Bow or Xbow?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by dissident, Oct 13, 2017.

1. dissident

dissident Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Could someone explain -or direct to a post that already explained that-? Advantages and disadvantages or both, and what would work best on this shard for an archer -together with ideal stats.

Thanks!
  2. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Depends greatly on what your using it for. Almost all PvM archers go with the bow for MAX DPS (bows do the most averaged damage). However, if your targets are players who run behind objects, off screen, or hide; an Xbow might be a better option. Some people even go for a heavy Xbow in PvP but you might fall asleep inbetween shots.

Also, an orcish bow offers extended shoot range but has pretty low damage. Below is my archery doing some PvM with a bow, and Robin Hoods sublime use of a heavy Xbow. @Jakob

Rextacy, Jakob and wylwrk like this.
  3. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Well...

So a bow is 9 to 41 damage with a speed of 20 (almost 4 seconds a shot). For comparison, a dagger is at 55 speed (a little over 1 swing a second) for 3 to 15 damage.

Compared to an xbow which is 8 to 43 damage and a swing speed of 18 (a little over 4 seconds per shot).... and then the heavy which is 11 to 56 (wow badass huh?) with a speed of 10 (7.5 seconds per shot).

Stat wise you're going to work with str and dex. Strength can get you up to 24% damage increase at 120 str (pots) and don't forget about dexterity and swing speed. More shots = more hits = more DPS.

As Keza pointed out... in the long haul, a regular bow does more damage overall. However, the xbow and heavy xbow do more "burst" (potentially if the dice gods are in your favor) and you can see some massive hits with them, especially the heavy xbow.

If it weren't for the arming delay, I'd probably run a heavy xbow mage again. That was one of my fave pvp on production.
  4. Althorn

Althorn Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Robin Hood def needs to win video of the year. That video just made me laugh so hard...
    @Jakob
    Jakob likes this.
  5. dissident

dissident Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Thanks for your useful replies, I think I'll go with Heavy Xbow -after seeing that hilarious Robin Hood video.
    wylwrk likes this.
  6. Fefa

Fefa Active Member

You have to take i account that we were on Hardmode hunt and I was wering just lether pants. If you dont make a stelth archer and wait for halfdead pray there is little you can do beside pvm with archer. But they are fun to play I have one too.