Bowcraft / Fletching improvements

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Nymeros, Jun 5, 2013.

Should bowcraft/fletching get improvements

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nymeros

Nymeros Well-Known Member

I searched for the skill to find if there have been any discussions before proposing this, only thing came up with this skill was a bonus to archery, which I think would not be a good idea, as this is a crafting skill, not a combat support skill.

What I have in mind is to require some of the items in carpentry (maybe dartboard) and additional items like "decorative bows", "archery butte?" to be enabled to be built by those who have the skill along with carpentry of course.

The reason why I think the skill needs improvement is, exceptional bows are nowhere near the magical ones, and unlike Blacksmithy, the skill doesn't really allow you to make any other items (armor for example). So all you can do is craft an excetpional bow which will EASILY be surpassed by a drop from something like an ettin. (yes ettins might drop magicals better than exceptional quality)

I don't want to propose any new weapons (maybe oak weapons but don't know) to break any accuracy to the era, so I would prefer keeping a craftable that's meant to be for decoration or crafting for sake, rather than change PvP or PvM mechanics.

edit: on another note, after 40 bowcraft, arrows have 100% chance I think, so atm, there is very little point raising the skill after that. If improvements were to be agreed, and some work is set to motion, I would really like to see something challenging to make even at 100 bowcraft.
  2. pdodd

pdodd New Member

As someone who just spent thousands of boards to raise my bowcraft /fletching skill, I am definitely in favor of this. I mainly want the skill for making crossbow bolts (in which way, why am I raising it? lol), but it'd be cool to see some extra items introduced that didn't affect combat mechanics :)

(Or even if they did affect them what the heck :p)
  3. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

You've got my support! I would even be interested in fletching BOD's that could lead to making somewhat better bows.

I'm hoping to see archery be a better skill in general once Telamon finishes the changes he's making in relation to combat skills and pve.
  4. Ciet

Ciet Active Member
    UO:R Donor

I would tend to agree. There needs to be incentive to raise this skill beyond 40. Use of those Oak boards I have sitting around might be awesome. (Oak arrows at least!)
  5. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

I agree, there is no incentive to raise bowcrafting past 40 and some enhancement would be welcome. GM bows should be on par with a GM swords. Using oak for some enhancement would be great too. I like the décor items and potentially BOD rewards. Not as broad as tailoring or smithing since you bow crafters make only one item, however it would be cool to see.
  6. DiGiTyDarKMaN

DiGiTyDarKMaN New Member

Sounds cool, I plan on building this skill up on my Mule just for kicks anyway.
  7. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  8. Godric Greycliff

Godric Greycliff Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Inscription already gets a combat bonus so I'm not so sure we need scribe bods or anything. Not so sure about alchemy either. . . But yeah, bowcraft is about as useful as taste ID right now, so. . . :cry:
  9. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

Bonus to Archery!

Instead of being a secondary skill Archery can be boosted by Bowcraft at the expense of the primary wep.

Maybe +20% to hit chance and/or damage
  10. DiGiTyDarKMaN

DiGiTyDarKMaN New Member

Bonus to archery would be logical.
  11. Cero

Cero Well-Known Member

Repair deeds, need I say more.... fairly new here and I already have a bag of spent bows just waiting to be repaired for future use.
  12. Ciet

Ciet Active Member

Yeah I like it to an extent. Have to really ask how much wood can be repaired however. Once or twice, and your wood is beyond repair.
  13. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

I would get that checked bro :mrgreen:
  14. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

The bonus to archery would be an exceptional quality bow.
  15. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

Party pooper!