Bucc's Den

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Vandyke, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Vandyke

Vandyke New Member

Bucc’s Den
    A walk on the wilder side

This is my proposal for an History Perfected Buccaneer’s Den.
    These are ideas to be taken as a whole or in part as our population and our Dev/GM’s deem to fit.

First the Basics
    Bucc’s Den, the little town and the surrounding area as defined on a Renaissance Era map, is already a no guard zone. I suggest this be taken further to also include a no Murder Count zone. Blues, Reds, Thieves, Greys will not take a murder count if they are the aggressor and kill an opponent of any standing. (This is to include shorts and Longs, but I believe that while in Bucc’s Den territory, counts should not be burnable. Timers stop so as to not let PK’s murder their way into Blue status) Bucc’s Den is a lawless territory, anybody passing by will refuse to attest to any wrong doings because here we mind our own business, therefore any accusations of murder are ignored.

Now the extras.
    To promote activity in Bucc’s Den territory, I propose a farming opportunity in the form of Executioner level/style Pirate (for lack of other description that comes to mind) mobs. These NPC’s have an attractive loot scale which can be bumped in their % chance to drop an appropriate level T-map (maybe a small % for a MiB drop, pirates y'know). Gold would be scaled to the current Executioner mobs drop.
    To entice the rare farmer (this is purely brainstorming and merely a suggestion to the GMs) a new rare (modeled after the Thieves Disguise kit) Buccaneer Costume. On Use, you obtain a Piratey tile and name as well as outfit on your Paperdoll. (Uses and Duration to be set by GMs)
    Yaargh who wouldn’t farm for that 

Mobs in Buccs Den, as stated, would be Pirates/Buccaneers of the Executioner level status. Pirates would be single or groups of 2-4 in town and in the immediate surrounding wooded area. Packs will be close enough for caution to be used when pulling mobs.
    Spawn would be large enough and spread enough to facilitate more than just the one or two people farming you see at most other farming spots.
    Pirate Boss "Pirate Pete"?(again GMs discretion) could be spawnable as a Boss Spawn after such and such has been farmed for such and such time as it is with other good farming spots, only this boss would spawn at a random spot within the boundaries of Buccs Den territory, not within the small confines of an inside dungeon. (Possiblilty for boss Spawn, only mob in this scenerio that casts, other spawns are melee)

After making this a very enticing territory to farm, here’s the rub….PK’s. As stated initially, Bucc’s Den is a haven for the nasty, and counts will not be taken making this the PK’s playground. Is the loot worth the risk? Your decision.

Edit: Come up with idea to keep mobs from being boat farmed, at least Boss Spawns if Applicable.

Edit2: Bonus to this, groups may keep the PK's off of you, but a crafty, quick PK can still catch one unawares and get the kill in, even if they may have to forego the loot to run from the others.
    Blues Downside to this- PK's will be ignored by the Pirate executioners unless they attack one. **Attacking even a single Pirate executioner (hmm Buccaneer?) will make the PK's status "Normal" to the mobs and allow aggro for the normal aggro duration of a player vs a mob from all *buccaneers within aggro range

Query: Does our Buccs Den have the Tunnels? I noticed a map showing tunnels under Buccs Den. Is that Ren Period or later? Either way can we add them?

Suggestions and Tweaks welcome. Just a quick rough draft while at work. ;)
  2. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Great idea matey
  3. Vandyke

Vandyke New Member

I'll have to make some adjustments to some flaws I see.

First Discussion

Should we allow Long Term Counts? Blue's should be held accountable for killing Blue's by gaining Long Term Counts. That way there's no true free ride.

With the lack of Short Terms in the Den, Reds won't have to worry about Statloss which is one of the purposes for the Buccs idea.

Can be tweaked to "Killer's beware though, we are outsiders and our deeds will not go completely unnoticed." (allowing for long terms to fit the RP)
  4. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Kick ass idea and the only flaws I saw were typos :p
    Buccaneer's Den is the land of the lawless and has been since ages before we could play together there.

I do think it should be a free ride. I have only pondered for a few moments but I'm failing to see a downside to a land where one man's business is one man's business. Or many men, but truly a land where the bigger crime is who left the body on the tavern floor?
    Yar, I may never have been a pirate laddy, but hell I'll be damned if another man questions, er tells, of who I be a murderin'. Take yee tales of woe back ter yer mainlands witcher fancy fertresses and blast ye all.

Further note on the topic, thieves. Thieves would have no loss of guild status for murder and no flagging for theft.

Truly a land of no laws. Not only do I think this will satiate a bit of the bloodlust, it will create a virtual biker bar of gameplay, hopefully. I know when I'm feeling like a badass I'll be getting a hankering for some Pirate's booty!!!
    YARRRRRRR!!

The question in my mind is how much coding it would take to pull it off.
  5. LesClaypool

LesClaypool Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

I think its a great idea
  6. Vandyke

Vandyke New Member

Thanks for pointing that out. I had intended to put that in there, I may have mentioned it in the Weekly PK/PvM Event Poll thread where this idea spawned.

Yes, Thieves would NOT lose guild membership if death occured to his victim in Bucc's Den territory. The not flagging i completely missed good catch.
  7. Vandyke

Vandyke New Member

Did I happen to mention that a Huge benefit for farming here even though it will be dangerous, theres still a bank right there in town usable by Blues and Reds alike!!

One thing that pops in my mind about Buccs Den is back on UOSA I was marking runes to various places from a rune library. I went to mark Buccs Den and POP here I am on the docks.....with about 25 Red Pirates!!! LOLz yeah, I lost all mah geerz haha. I couldn't fight my way back to my body even as I lured them as best I could off the end of the docks. Sad Day but Funny as heck.

Idea on keeping the spawns from being farmed from a boat...every 4th pirate/buccaneer spawn would be of the archer variety. Can you imagine an Executioner level archer takin shots at you on your boat? Yes there will be the cunning who can bypass this, but I beleive that if will stop any afk boat farming from the shore (if anybody is crazy enough to afk/semi afk in a PK area). Archers will have to be lured into melee range using buildings, trees etc.
  8. Double Vision

Double Vision New Member

I Approve this message. Only thing is I'd like to see pks get long term counts , just no short terms while in Buccs den other wise pks could go blue just staying in buccs den killing people.
  9. Vandyke

Vandyke New Member

Yea, I agree. I even added in how it would fit into the RP. I feel Blues should incur Longs if they PK each other here but not shorts, as well as PK's. PKing yourself out of red would just be completely contradictary lol

Edit: Just thought of another point. Is it possible to code it so if you are attacked in Buccs Den but run through the gate or the Stone Arch to the mainland area, you can still only give a long term and not a short?
    I would hate to see that used as a workaround to putting a player into stat.
  10. Double Vision

Double Vision New Member

Simple fix for that would be if your attacked in buccs then u can't go in a gate or recall for an extended time. Only problem I see is blues running thru the teleport arch in buccs to get away or to give a count. I guess a way to combat that would be if you get attacked before you use the arch teleporter you can't give counts, that script would probably take a little longer to do or just make it the same way, if your in combat from a player you can't access a gate or the arch teleporter.
  11. Vandyke

Vandyke New Member

Considering that players will/should know what they are getting into by coming to Buccs, I think that would work. No Recalling, Gating (although I never understood no gating, as a higher level spell, I feel if you can get it off so be it :? ) Moongating or access to the islands Arch if you are in combat.
  12. newme

newme Well-Known Member

Good ideas, thanks