Build Question around Dex/Provo

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by mojo, Sep 10, 2018.

1. mojo

mojo Member

Been reading a ton of posts and getting some in game experiences.

Damn there's a lot of poison here. :D

Previously I seem to recall having a Provo Dex build that seemed to work. I can't for the life of me figure it out here.
    Build purpose is/was gold farming from non-crafting activities to pay for what is/was the way more expensive magery based builds.

So far I'm looking at this:

SDI: 100/90/35

music 100
    provo 100
    fencing 100
    tactics 100
    resist 100 (wasn't planning this high until I got hit enough times with what is feeling like way more spells than i recall)
    magery 35 (for scroll recall - i think that was the number for safe success)
    healing 83
    anatomy 82

clearly my healing here is compromised. and I have no way to hide in a hurry.
    If I continue with this i'm lugging cure and heal pots which isn't really an issue apart from the fact i like to be self-sufficient and thats a whole other cost to set up.
    I enjoy all the crafting stuff in UO. Just not on a first character.

Do I scrap this and accept I have to go Mage/Provo? Or are there any suggestions as to how to make this work?
  2. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

The build is fine.

My provo dex has 0 resist, 100 healing, 100 anat and 100 magery. 90/90/45.

But it is a matter of preference.
  3. mojo

mojo Member

Agreed. Love the fact there is no true boiler plate here and room for multiple play styles.
    May I ask: Does that work for you against multiple spellcasters?
  4. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Yes. GM magery and 45 mana help you keep reflects up to help you with the first dump. Provo should be enough for you to not get a second dump.
  5. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

Magery over Resist for me.. Hard to argue against having magic reflect for that initial dump and over all utility. Faster heals and cures as well when you're at the beginning of a bandage timer and need some first aid a little quicker. Invis spell too.
  6. Valrick

Valrick Well-Known Member

Wepskill
    Tactics
    Anatomy
    Heal
    Music
    Provo
    Magery

This build is great for hunting seasonal stuff (leprechauns/halloween mobs/turkeys&indians etc) but is also perfect for running aMIBs solo. Falls a little short in the level7tmaps compared to other builds but possible nonetheless!
  7. mojo

mojo Member

Thanks guys. Good info. You both mention reflect for initial dump. I’m used to reflect being of use for a single spell is that still the case?
  8. mojo

mojo Member

Yeah I was looking at doing exactly this then I got thrown thinking about the possible stat breakdown.
    Accounts only a few days old. Currently St 100, Dexterity 65, Int 31.
    If I devote points to Margery it’s got to be for heals recalls cures. Mentions of reflect means C5 spells or is that a 6? Don’t remember

Anyways the obvious conundrum is where to sacrifice.
    What’s a min safe number for Margery for C4?
    C5? And just to know- C6?
    Valrick likes this.
  9. Salick

Salick Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Finally building my first Provo dexer as well, and going to piggy back of this post with a few questions:
    A lot of people prefer the dexer/peco build for AMIBs, Halloween and Xmas scrolls. I currently have a disco tamer and mage bard, which would you all prefer?
    Does magic/anatomy still give you the Cast heal bonus like back in the day?
    Repond or vanq for AMIB? (No, I can’t afford a Repond/vanq :)
    Thanks for all help!
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  10. Valrick

Valrick Well-Known Member

Magery skill rules amount of spell schools reflected (so does inscription). So non-gm magery would reflect less than a gm cast magic reflect.

Tamed/controlled pets do reduced damage and maybe take more? Than players which makes tamers rough for the instanced events (amibs/level 7 maps) especially solo.

I'll link an amib guide for you it will tell you which weapons are best for which aMIBs

http://uorforum.com/threads/amib-ironman-guides-playthroughs.14933/
  11. mojo

mojo Member

I was reading the archived Stratics pages last night. I’d totally forgotten about inscription factoring into the mage spell damage calculation. Do you happen to know if this server follows that formula with Margery,eval int, and inscription being formulated and compared in some fashion to the target’s numbers. (I don’t have the actual in front of me)
  12. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

I know eval does. I also believe inscription does for certain spells.

Personally, I will take a might+repond over a vanq weapon any day. Then again, it all depends on the weapon. See, slayer properties multiply the damage by 2, whereas modifiers add damage. So for a small roller (like a kryss or katana) a vanq might be better than a ruin slayer, whereas as big roller (hally or war hammer) a no mod slayer could be better. (I have not run the math, so maybe @Dalavar @wylwrk or @snap dragon can confirm)

Instances (AMIBs, X-Mas Scrolls, lvl 7 tmaps) are dexxer tailored. Other events (Easter/St. Patricks, Thanksgiving, Elf hunting during Christmas, etc.) you will thrive with a provo mage.

For everyday hunting, I doubt there's anything that can beat a provo/disco/tamer. For me, a simple provo/mage is like a swiss army knife. It might lack the same punch as other builds, but by God they are fun, useful and will get the job done.
    Salick and wylwrk like this.
  13. Mykos

Mykos Well-Known Member

Inscription add to the ability of "protective" spells. Most notably Magic Reflection spell can reflect additional circles of spells. I believe it can fully reflect atleast 2 full flamestrikes and have a little left over to reflect a partial ebolt at GM Inscription. I am sure there is something out there about the reflective propertie sof the spell, but I dont really use the one scribe/mage I have.
  14. Mykos

Mykos Well-Known Member

Looked it up real quick. 99.9 inscription and below, reflect will do 8 circles of reflect. GM Inscription, that goes to 15 circles. So 2 FS spells will take 14 circles. Not much left over.
  15. mojo

mojo Member

100 point commitment to reflect one additional typical offensive spell. That’s a typically beautiful ugly UO skill choice :).
    What’s nice too is that the bit left over would cover an initial harm or magic arrow cast at you.

And thanks for looking it up!!!