Carpentry Really worth the effort?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by David Scraggs, Dec 18, 2014.

1. David Scraggs

David Scraggs Well-Known Member

I'm going to be building a Axe fighter and using lumberjacking for a damage bonus.. I was thinking about just selling the boards but I get this crazy idea that I should create a carpenter. I'll already have the boards. I found a few guides and seems I will only need about 55k boards. Then I can get in to stone crafting and such but the question is..Is the carpenter going to be a money maker or a money taker?
  2. newme

newme Well-Known Member

That depends on your game goals.

A gm carpenter can make all your furniture/containers for your home; be it a fortress or a one room cabin. This includes all the fancy oak furniture, some pieces sell quite well. Which saves a good amount of gold if buying furnishing from other players.
    Not sure if you need tinker for these two or not... Can make boats and ladders.
    Some players enjoy these types of crafts...being independent...others rather put their efforts into farming with their
    tamers/dexers/ whatever.
    You could make a character just for crafts...Tailor/smith/ carpenter/tinker....Both tailor and smith can collect bod rewards.
    Understand in the near future so will carpenters...
    Again... up to your play style and what you think you would enjoy doing.....
    A carpenter character is not really a money-taker...since your lumber jacking character is able to furnish supplies. For tools, can use nails instead of hammer... lot cheaper.

Hope this helps some

Westra
    Halabinder likes this.
  3. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

You may be disappointed if you train carpentry hoping to be able to craft and sell right now. I don't think there is a demand for them. If you aren't very established yet I'd probably sell the boards because housing and supplies may be more important. This could change with the introduction of bulk order deeds or who knows what else down the road.
    newme likes this.
  4. David Scraggs

David Scraggs Well-Known Member

BOD rewards with a carpentry would be cool! I've never had a crafting character before ever. Always played warriors and such. Maybe a Carpenter/Tailor/Tinker/Smith is what I need and then build a miner and lumberjack. Mining should probably give a bonus to mace fighting like lumberjacking does to swords? I dunno. I think I'll do it. Stone crafting sounds cool. Then I can make stone tables and such for my house.
  5. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Tailoring is the usual "gateway drug" to crafting. Much cheaper to train, and much more profit to be earned. An all-in-one crafter character is a good idea though.

Carpentry BODs are in development, so I hear.
    Halabinder likes this.
  6. Halabinder

Halabinder Well-Known Member

The general rule of thumb is, if you want to stick around for a while and you have the time/patience for gathering, you should have every crafting skill on one character or other. But if you just want stuff you can't make because you don't have that skill, you can always farm the mats and commission someone to make them for you. Fishing is really cool here. Look into it and see if you may want to get into fishing. If you do, you will probably want an archer or two on your fishermen. Then you will want all of the boards and feathers you can get your hands on.
    AnRobot- likes this.