Carrying sigils through gates while being attacked

Discussion in 'Factions' started by Blaise, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

If you are carrying a sigil you should not be able to freely use moongates while under direct attack by the enemy. There is no justification for this that I can see other than sigil running impunity. Especially considering these Trammel moongate gumps allow selection of location when travelling, it is simply a burden to the entire faction system.

I'd like to hear some justifications for why it should remain this way, or support of removal of the function.
  2. Atraxi

Atraxi Member

What's the big deal? How is it a "burden to the entire faction system"? That's a pretty extreme statement.

Even if you choose to go somewhere the attackers don't go to, you still have a short amount of time to return the sigil to your base or to the town it belongs to. If vanishing into a moongate while holding a sigil suddenly makes attackers helpless against the sigil holder reaching their destination, then the attackers should learn how to faction better.
  3. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

It's a burden because there's a ****** menu on the moongate. The marathon runners of UO have an easy out with a sigil, they just have to make it to a gate and they are free and clear. But ohhhhh, because I attacked them on their way there, I get ****** and can't travel to follow them? It's silly bullshit and the moongates should function on moon phases as designed by Garriott himself and faction combat should not impede following a sigil thief or ANYONE through a gate.

All told, remove travel restrictions from being an aggressor in factions and it will not be such an issue. Or make it so if you're attacked on a factioner you can't recall until you've broken LoS with your aggressors for the standard restriction window. When you've got 1 or more people chasing a person carrying a sigil, it is ******** ******** that they can hit the gate but you can't because you attacked them.
  4. Atraxi

Atraxi Member

Okay, this I agree with. In factions, you're not considered criminal for attacking other factioners, so why can't you hit the gate, too?

I just don't agree with making it even harder to run the sigils than it already is.
  5. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Yeah, we've just gotta clean it up in one way or the other. Criminal recall flagging for faction combat is silly, but again, I wouldn't want someone to come and fail a mana dump and recall macro away either so kinda hard to say what's truly best
  6. Liberation

Liberation Well-Known Member

hm.

i won't go so far as to say that moongates should function on moon phases. imo that sucked.

i agree with the core sentiment of the OP, though.
  7. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Quite frankly, it is one of the most Trammel aspects of this shard. The ability to escape any attacker by hitting a moongate an knowing they've only got what, a 1:8 chance of finding you on the other side?

Lame.
  8. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I agree. Personally I would like to see things work like this: If your in a faction and an enemy attacks you, you get the heat of combat timer as though you attacked them. This would prevent hoping a gate if an enemy factioner is attacking you.
  9. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

you could probably prevent someone from reaching/leaving magincia indefinitely like that, unless we expected them to boat there
  10. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was one big concern was getting to Mag. Perhaps just a teleporter there from the mainland somewhere, like Buc's has...
  11. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I agree with Blaise on preventing factioneers in combat from entering moongates.

I would go as far as preventing sigil carriers from entering houses or boats.
  12. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

That might be pretty hard to code, but I could get on board with that.
  13. bart simpson

bart simpson Well-Known Member

How about changing moongates back to what they were? Regulated by cycles of the moon... No more town selection, you go to a location based on the time.
  14. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

A truly Feluccian concept!!! What will the Trammelites do if they don't have a menu?
    Heaven forbid they understand moon phases or use Runes/Recall/Mark/Gate
  15. Liberation

Liberation Well-Known Member

i propose that we split this thread into two different threads.

1) Should factioneers who are aggressed by other factioneers be put into the heat of battle?

2) A motion to put moongates on the moon cycle.
  16. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

inre 1)2)

Leave both alone, in my opinion.

If sigil-carriers could be prevented from entering houses, however, that would be a great idea.

On a related note, I think it would be best if the houses around the mouth of minax and SL bases did not exist/were not placeable. I don't think you should be able to house-hide that close to a faction base.
  17. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Being able to evade anyone by simply hitting a moongate, is silliness. Phased gates ensure pursuit continues on the other side unless you time it perfectly for a phase change.

As for the housing, what's a couple screens really going to matter. I mean, leaving ghosts in the house as monitors makes it a bummer but we really don't want to put a ton of far-reaching placement limits to keep people from having a safe house. Hell, CoM gets wisps by their moongate in a double spawn. I don't think it's perfectly balanced but there's give and take on both sides.
  18. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Even if "phased moongates" are not put in, I believe that any factioner who is attacked by another factioner needs to get a "heat of battle" timer on recalling and using gates. Anytime that factioner takes damage or attacks an enemy, that timer resets.

This is factions, not the "gingerbread man game" aka catch me if you can. You sign up knowing your gonna get ganked sometimes, and other times do the ganking. Its a way of life. Plus if your carrying a sigil you should have to work to get it back to your base should the enemy be trying to stop you, instead of just running as fast as possible to the moongate.
    Philthie likes this.
  19. ebola

ebola Well-Known Member

its a pain in the ass that you can hop a moongate while being attacked by an opposing faction but if u attack an opposing faction you can NOT hop a moongate but yet your able to recall/gate... that makes no sense to me
  20. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

That makes no sense you're right.