Character Profiles

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Antos, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Antos

Antos Well-Known Member

This is primarily intended for the RP community, but I chose to post it here because I think it could be of benefit to a broader audience.

I am curious as to why no one seems to use their character profile anymore. The character profile can be a great way to flesh out your character beyond their appearance and outfit, but it is rarely used. My own profile provides a simple description of Antos based on the in-game description and dialog of Father Antos from U4. It's not much, but it does lay a foundation for interaction.

During this week's big RP quest, I had the pleasure of meeting some new characters and, as always, I checked their character profile hoping for a better description of them. As usual, the profile was blank and I simply can't understand why RPers waste this valuable resource. Players will sometimes input WTB/WTS info or the occasional quote, but it is rarely used for its intended purpose.

Is you character tall or short? Are they skinny of plump? Do they walk with a limp or perhaps have a greedy gleam in their eye? What color are their eyes? Are they covered in hideous scars or perhaps a dapple of cute freckles? A little physical description goes a long way in RP.

Also, fame should be more than a question of title or forum notoriety. Might we have heard rumors about their famous (or infamous) deeds? Are they well-known as the town drunk of ______ ? All of this and more could be shared in the character profile and yet it rarely is.

So, I would like to encourage the players of UO:R to make more use of their character profile to enrich the experience of our encounters!
    Jaana, Bayara, Kiryana and 3 others like this.
  2. Alex Caember

Alex Caember Well-Known Member

I think for a lot of folk it is an afterthought, something that is there and maybe they even intend to, but it is so easy to overlook. Personally I usually fill mine out, though I don't always remember to do it for all of my characters.
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  3. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

THANK YOU ANTOS! (capslock 1,000%!)

It is sad when people don't put anything in their profiles! Maybe people don't know about it, you kinda just find it by accident I guess when you're clicking around. Fill out your profiles people, put a quote in there, something funny, etc, just don't put nothing! :D
    Bayara likes this.
  4. Alex Caember

Another thing to keep in mind is that not everyone is an RPer or have considered possibly RPing in some way or another. I know a few people who simply don't "know how" to do it, but are not outright opposed to it.

I think of it like playing D&D with your friends. That is all this is, really, is D&D with a graphical interface. The little profile information you can put in? Character description :)
  5. Cero

Cero Well-Known Member

I feel I am guilty of this! As I delve deeper into the RP part of the game I will have to add to this valuable resource!

Thanks for pointing it out, it has been forever since I have even opened mine or anyone else's.
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  6. Kiryana

Kiryana Well-Known Member

Great observation, I do often pay attention to other people's profiles and any information it occurs in one out of twenty people.

You certainly are right, there can be described as a fantasy of his character, or create and describe it in his own image, a lot of options.

Great theme, thank you :)
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  7. Bayara

Bayara Well-Known Member

Great post Antos.
    You beat me to it!
    I've been meaning to lay into people about their lack of profiles...

But now, as i read this, i realize that i too have forgotten to fill mine in on a few characters.
    I am a guilty hypocrite!
    Thank you for inspiring me to get on top of it.

RPER or not, it is a great thing to do.
    I would rather open a profile and see "fuck you" than nothing...
    PaddyOBrien and Kiryana like this.
  8. Six.spirit

Six.spirit Active Member

I use the profile on my tamer to list what zookeeper quest pets I have and which ones I need. Often people will be asking about what other people need/have and I can just refer to my list in my profile so I don't have to check the stables for what I have or check my scrolls for what I need every time. I can also direct people to look at my profile for the list.

So, I don't use it for RP enhancement, but I do agree that profiles have utility that might be going unused.
  9. Alex Caember

I do remember profiles being used almost universally back on OSI - it was very rare to see an empty profile. Most profiles just listed items that a person wanted to sell or buy, but it was something.
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  10. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

Of course, as the great roleplayer I am, my paperdoll has been carefully tailored to my character:
    [​IMG]
    PaddyOBrien, Bayara and Alex Caember like this.
  11. RIN

RIN Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I used to have awesome RP character backstories written in my profiles back on OSI...