Cheap UOR Laptop?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by ham, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Zaphian

Zaphian Active Member

Well I'm dumb. Even though I should have known better, it didn't occur to me that this thing is running on an ARM processor rather than an x86/x64 until I tried to set up Wine and realized it will never be able to run UO at full speed. Previous versions of their chromebooks ran normal x64 processors. Returning it sadly.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  2. Theodin

Theodin Well-Known Member

Yeah i looked up your laptop thr other day and did not recognize half the hardware used
  3. Zabberwocky

Zabberwocky New Member

Hey @ham did you end up getting the http://a.co/hhndi46 ? How did it work out? I'm thinking of getting that same one.

Thanks,

Zabber
  4. ham

ham Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber
    UO:R Donor

@Zabberwocky Didnt have extra money so I never ended up buying it. Might try in October. Just stuck with my bulky 17" laptop for now.
  5. MikeK

MikeK Well-Known Member

6. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

Yikes that thing has tiny resolution, even less than the low-tier netbooks and things with 1366x768. It has an i5, but it's an older i5. Even the lowest tier of Kaby Lake higher i3 would be a better processor.

Here's a refurbish Acer with an KL i3 at nearly the exact processor specs as the older i5 from mikek's post. But with 1TB faster HDD, DDR4 ram and 1920x1080p screen that is 1.5 inch larger. Also it's not made by dell which I think is a plus.

Also a coupon code for that "MPBTS17" should cost you like $250.

That extra $60 is going to make a huge difference. You can do low level 3D on the integrated graphics in these KL family processors. I'm 100% certain this computer would run Grand Theft Auto 5 or whatever at like 30fps on low settings. I would put in at least another 4Gb ram ($40) though if you're going to do a lot of movie/video watching on it.
  7. TheUORnerd

TheUORnerd Active Member

Never buy an acer.
    Zabberwocky likes this.
  8. MikeK

MikeK Well-Known Member

Just buy a laptop with a return policy and give it a shot.
    Zabberwocky likes this.
  9. Zabberwocky

Zabberwocky New Member

I ordered that ASUS earlier today, gonna give it a go. I'll report back this weekend.
    MikeK likes this.
  10. Erza Scarlet

Erza Scarlet Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

How do you take a sick pig tothe Hospital?
  11. Khar'Mash

Khar'Mash Member

You'll be hard pressed to find a laptop that can't run UO. Why is it a problem on a mac, though? I've never used one, but I'd guess they would've made it possible to right click by now...
  12. Pill

Pill Well-Known Member

Make sure you get one with a minimum GTX 1070 graphics card, and preferably a screen with 3840x2160 native resolution. It makes UO look so good, it's like using the 3D client, without the need of the client! Not to mention the insane amount of added black USABLE space you benefit from. Hell you can have the entire half of your screen for spells and bags!
    Erza Scarlet likes this.
  13. diran

diran Well-Known Member

new.jpg
    i know over powered to run uo but i have other games i play :) brand new just got it yesterday
  14. dennozz

dennozz Member

My laptop worth 220$. Its HP with i5 model EliteBook 8440p. I use it for programming too on android studio and its more than enought!
  15. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

I have the same one that i bought for that price off ebay. Its a beast but thats what i wanted and it runs great. Just need to swap for a new battery. Maybe at some point but mostly stays plugged.
    dennozz likes this.