Circle Rock Challenge I

Discussion in 'Player Run Events' started by snap dragon, Feb 24, 2017.

1. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

TODAY @ 8PM EST

[​IMG]

CORRECTION: IT IS ACTUALLY ON MARCH 12th! IGNORE THE DATE IN THE IMAGE

TIME: 8pm EST (Does that work for you guys?)

Rules:

• You Teleport into the circle, and then you teleport out.
      • You repeat this process until you die.
      • Each complete in/out cycle is 1 point.
      • If the EV vanishes or dies while you are in the circle, that cycle doesn't count for a point.
      • While outside the circle, you may only cast TELEPORT, CURE, and HEAL/GHEAL
      • NO POTS ALLOWED.
      • While inside the circle, you can do anything you want.
      • Pets/Followers are not allowed, unless you summon it while inside the circle.
      • You are welcome to have Protection/Reflect/Whatever active when you arrive, but once you make that first teleport, you can no longer cast it while outside the circle.

Prizes:
    100% of the Entry Fees will go to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places.
    Everyone who participates will get a small prize courtesy of the cA guild.
    Other Prizes to be announced.

How to Enter:
    2500 GP Per Entry Fee payable any time before your turn in the event.
    Each Person May Enter no more than twice (using 2 different characters is okay)

There will be a small, non-gm scripted "adventure" afterwards for those who wish to join if time permits

Many years ago when I was exploring a shard I wont bother to mention, I came across many interesting people. Some of them had amazing riches ripe for the taking, other's were insidious PK's I took pleasure from hunting, but some, despite having a rather lengthy history on the server, had very little.

I'm a bit of an explorer. I'm interested, more than anything else, in the mechanics of the game, and information about it. More than most, I've wandered around the non-traveled areas of the server, seeking out interesting spots, dangerous places to gate people, opportunities to take advantage of, and things I can use to both, confuse, and amaze other players. In that time, I came across a weird fellow that turned out to be @Jupiter

He never had much of anything to steal. There was no Jupiter the Murderer to hunt. His forum/irc personality was always very humble, and his houses filled largely with items you can but from any inn-keeper. I didn't give him much thought, but I always ran into him, at the most distant remote locations, or simply during community events. I can't be entirely certain, but I don't think I've ever taken one item from his backpack.

It's rare that someone is so out of the spotlight that I don't really see any reason to interact with them in any "negative" way. But that was Jupiter.

When I started playing on UOR, it was just before a Halloween event a few years ago. I wanted an anonymous name since I wasn't sure if Telamon would ban me as "Matron", and I had recently attended an autumn carnival/fair or sorts. There's a children's game where you collect gold fish, and I chose that as my name, but at character creation, I decided that a more "role player" name would be more appropriate and changed one character of it and that just so happened to make "snap dragon". This event was special, the holiday rewards that year included a PERFECT "matron orange" hair dye, and I simply had to have it. Mini-boss monsters spawned below the Skara Farms, and I convinced @Blaise to loan me some cash to get started, and purchased a house. I tested every tile in the middle of the "monster spawn" and found the perfect house that I could lure monsters in, and collect all the holiday coins for myself.

I fought along side A^T members, actually farming monsters, (something I almost NEVER do) for a week or so there, until one day I ran into that Old Jupiter again. I had a rather ingenious series of raised footstools setup to make it the perfect automated boss-killing house, and he was very inquisitive about it. I had never had any problems with him before, and decided to invite him in to check it out. We farmed boss monsters together, discussed some lesser-used mechanics on the server, all while maintaining some degree of roleplay. I figured it was alright to co-own him so he could use the house when I was not playing.

This whole time I had been building up my "bard" character, and she now had the proper skills and hair color for me to start my UOR career. I took this opportunity to begin assasinating my guildmates in A^T before they summarily kicked me out. I paid blaise back the money he loaned me since I believe being kind to new players should not be punished, and then I revealed to the server that I was Matron de Winter.

Most people were glad to have me, including Telamon to my surprise. Other's.. not so much (Wise comes to mind). But Ole Jupiter had no problem accepting that I was going to play career thief and general do-good-ish-er. We build a long lasting friendship, and I have been on every single VoP adventure that I could possibly attend. If you view his older threads and see an unnamed player in a fancy plain dress, that's probably me, playing nice for a change.

After the adventures, we would continue to talk about mechanics and interesting locations. He always kept my identity a secret, there's no more honest person to have ever played Ultima Online. We both have a hobby of creating rune libraries, and often traded the latest hard-to-get-to spots and secret locations. I gave him a few runes that are totally inaccessible by any other means and insisted that he not put them in his public library. He did not.

When exploring some of the run down ruins outside Trinsic, I thought of a weird place that perhaps he had not seen. Below the T2A cave entrance that leads to Delucia, there is a tiny little clearing in the trees, and inside is a perfect circle made of rocks. Nothing spawns there, there's no reason you would ever come across it, but I thought it would make a fine addition to one of his libraries, or perhaps get used in an adventure or two.

It was there we came up with the Circle Rock Challenge, and have played it many times since. When I quit playing UOR about 2 years ago or longer, Jupiter mentioned in a post he would go to the Circle Rock every year on that day to remember me. That day is March 14th.

So this March 14th, I would like to invite you all to come test your skills in the Circle Rock Challenge. If we all gather to play the most noble of long-forgotten wizard games, I am hoping that Jupiter keeps his promise and shows up to join us.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    Hadrian, Basoosh, Kalvasflam and 22 others like this.
  2. ReZon

ReZon Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I won't be able to make it at that time (I don't play in the evenings), but it sounds really fun!
  3. snap dragon

If it were during the "day" for EST people that would be better for me. But whatever time is best for most people is probably the best. So if anyone else thinks its okay in the day I will change the time.
  4. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Come back @Jupiter, we miss you!!
    Jupiter and Antos like this.
  5. Alex Caember

Alex Caember Well-Known Member

I am not sure I will be able to attend as I will be out of state, but if I can I certainly will!

I know he has played this once or twice during my time here before he disappeared. It was a favorite with Lady Kashla as well. If I can attend I absolutely will, if for no other reason than to honor the memory of the great Jupiter, the wonderful wizard of Paws.
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  6. Bayara

Bayara Well-Known Member

Snap, that was touching and engaging story.
    Well done!
    Thank you for the great read.

Will make it if i can and sure hope Jupiter does too :)
    Jupiter and PaddyOBrien like this.
  7. snap dragon

AHH I had the totally wrong date. I updated the main post, it's March 12, not the 14th.

I hope so!
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  8. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Hopefully I can make it. Would be great to see you and that grey wizard again.
  9. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

I will try too.

And wasn't that some initiation ritus from a oldschool OSI thief clan too? Mhm, or something similar, involving Balrons.
  10. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Sounds like fun! Hopefully Jupiter will return!
  11. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

I look forward to seeing Jupiter appearing out of smoke in the middle of the circle rock!

(I will then purple pot him to color up his grey clothing!)
    Jupiter, Bayara and PaddyOBrien like this.
  12. snap dragon

Bump for CIRCLE ROCK CHALLENGE, only a few days left!!

MARCH 12th!

TIME: 8pm EST or suggest a better time. No really, suggest a better time that you would like to see events that aren't necessarily PVP or farming.
  13. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

Since ur asking I wanna see events at 3pm EST! If it's a week-end even Americans shouldn't have a hard time to get on?
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  14. Bayara

Bayara Well-Known Member

Sadly i can' make it.
    8pm EST on the weekends is prime work time.
    I play PST so what Jakob suggests would fit my play hours perfectly (mornings/early afternoon and late nights)
    But not expecting this event to be changed.
    Just would be great if more events could happen outside US prime-times.

Ps. Yes i know this is a US based shard
  15. snap dragon

Bump - This event happens very soon!
  16. Hoominaga

Hoominaga Well-Known Member

I shall be there. I guarantee I will teleport into the circle at least one time.
  17. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

So the time is 8pm EST?
  18. snap dragon

YES!

I think that is 5 hours from the time I post this message.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  19. Hoominaga

Hoominaga Well-Known Member

20. snap dragon

Ah you're right. I forgot you have daylight saving time.