Constant Desync

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Six.spirit, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Six.spirit

Six.spirit Active Member

I get desynced a lot.

I have heard that it can be caused by trying to do too many things at once. I believe this, because I feel that I get desynced a lot in PvP, where milliseconds count and I'm trying to, for example, run forward while casting ebolt or something to get as close as I can to the target as soon as I'm done casting. I also get desynced in PvM too, but I imagine the cause is similar, but really it could be something else as far as I know.

I have to have a hotkey to resync client due to how often I desync. As a rough estimate, In a 5 minute pvp fight, I will have to resync probably 20 to 30 times.

I have read the troubleshooting guide and have followed its instructions. I have played around with the 'disable visual themes' and 'disable desktop composition' settings, but I still get desynced often.

Can someone help me diagnose the problem so that I can hopefully fix it? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  2. Ervin

Ervin Well-Known Member

Wow, 20-30 times in 5 minutes? That's rediculous!
  3. Six.spirit

Six.spirit Active Member

Yeah man, it's no joke. :(
  4. Samorite

Samorite Renaissance Game Master
    Renaissance Staff

If you are still having problems contact Telamon via a page in game and help test a new ingame feature to fix it.
  5. Six.spirit

Six.spirit Active Member

Will do, thanks.
  6. thesorrow121

thesorrow121 New Member

This is a server wide issue.
    I de sync quite a bit.
  7. ReZon

ReZon Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

It is very rare that I desync, and it usually happens after a recall or running into a dungeon.

Are you using the UOR client?
  8. Six.spirit

Six.spirit Active Member

It seems that some people have this problem, like me and you, and others don't. My friend that play with desyncs occasionally but not nearly as often as I do.
  9. Six.spirit

Six.spirit Active Member

Yes, I am.

I had played on another server for about a week before I found this server. I played on this server using the client I had used for the other server, but experienced some problems with seeing large houses like fortresses. I completely uninstalled that client and razor and installed the UOR client using the guide on the website.
  10. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

I desync about once every 5 to 15 minutes. I made my desync macro very easy to hit because of this. I'd assume donations to upgrade the server is the main route to fixing the problem. I used the UOR client install package and have a decent computer and connection.
  11. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  12. illbottleya

illbottleya Member

FWIW, I am on the UOR client and this is my experience. My dexxer dies or needs to retreat due to desync all the time. I can't even remember the last time my tamer desync'd. Maybe a couple times in the sewers I'd walk through a wall or something.

My suspicion was always that the dexxer desynced because he sprinted a lot, traveled more distance by horseback, and used dungeon entrances / public moongates. The tamer usually moves slower so as not to get too far ahead of his dragons, tends to gate right to the location he needs to be, and tends to gate and/or teleport very often.

Both get a lot of play time and both use a lot of macro assistance. Maybe the only other difference is that the tamer's macros are all speech/spells/skills while the dexxer macros are usually item-based or equip/remove commands. But desync didn't seem to be caused by any particular macro. Sometimes it happened while shopping in town and sometimes it happened while hunting in dungeons. Sometimes it happened like 10 seconds after leaving the Occlo inn.
  13. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

If this is a chronic problem one place to look can be at the troubleshooting thread, specifically the section on AV programs.

http://uorforum.com/threads/troubleshooting-razor-ultima-online-problems.3960/

With everyone using the same client, and going to the same places it would either be a trouble shot (unlikely) or a local issue (more likely).

For instance if your AV software or firewall took to much time to analyze the packets from the client/server traffic resulting in latency or lost information.

The reason it will see worse in situations where there is more activity (PvP/Ocllo) would be due to the increased amount of traffic between the client/server.

Working in the tech field I have lost track of the computers running 2,3,4,5 anti virus programs that attempt to scan packets coming and going. For a game that depends on milliseconds a slow scan can cause a lot of problems.

Exclude razor and the UO client from all these applications, or disable them while playing and see if this has a positive effect on the problem.

Also you can actually de-sync yourself by simply causing razor/client to freak out in situations like running immediately after recalling or using a moongate or forcing yourself to rubber band which results in the client/server confusion.

If these aspects don't fix the problem we can look for other issues as well. Such as networking, the version of razor you are using and possibly trying to play without razor to see if the problem persists.

Occasional de-sync'ing is normal (1-2x a play session) any more than that is caused by something else.
  14. Nightwolf

Nightwolf Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I have found it's a problem with the 5.0.8.3 (and possibly earlier) clients. There are only two major shards that use 5.0.8.3 and they are pretty much the only ones that experience widespread de-sync. I don't recommend my solution because it's not supported by the shard. But in order to troubleshoot the issue, I tested playing with a client patched to at least version 6.0.1.10 (just a few patches above 5.0.8.3) and I experience 0 de-syncs. It's not a complete guess either, because from what I can tell that client and above actually handles map .mul files differently.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014