Cooking

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Athena, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Athena

Athena Active Member

I apologize if a thread like this was made recently but having just finished Gming a cook I've found that there is little to no benefit to having the skill at all. You can buy all the food a cook makes from vendors extremely easily, and you would never know if the item was actually made by a cook or a vendor!

I'd like to suggest that exceptional marks are allowed for cooking, this would be neat as your cook could now cater a party with food all made by him/her! Another suggestion is perhaps using honey and milk to make a cream frosting to allow a cook to put a message on different baking treats such as cakes/cookies or pies.

These changes above would have no effect on balance on the server and would just be minor cosmetic changes that would make the cooking skill, at least I think, a little more enjoyable to use!

In a balance change style I would say exceptional food could perhaps restore 2x the stamina that regular food does to give the cooks a little bump.
    Vlar, Jupiter, boothby and 4 others like this.
  2. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    Ragar and Kishember like this.
  3. Kishember

Kishember Active Member

Some interesting proposals in this thread.
    One likes this.
  4. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Great ideas! I think it would be funny to see people intentionally leaving treats around for tamed creatures like land mines in the dungeons.

GM Cooking + empty bottles + different ingredients = different type of drinks! "Maginician ale, Skara Brae Wine," etc.

GM Cooking + GM Alchemy = more powerful potions. Greater explosions with more bang, greater heals with a little more added hp, and so on.

Maybe with GM cooking, certain foods cooked could give a small tactics boost or something for dexers. Temporary +5 tactics boost, or even +5 strength/dexterity/intelligence on top of whatever potions they've already used: short term boosts would be 125 dex/str if greater agility/strength + gm cooked meal (would have to be named). That meal would be filling enough to where a player couldn't just keep scarfing them down for the boost, it would be a short term boost and not useable again until they are considerably hungry.
    Ragar and One like this.
  5. One

One Well-Known Member

PaddyOBrien and Ragar like this.
  6. Ragar

Ragar Active Member

COOKING PERFECTED!

I for one love this idea and cannot wait to receive my personalized cake. I would start a hunger protest to help support this idea but upon further review that seems counter productive.

Personally I hope that maybe we could get the non-game affecting changes considered and added and then later Chris and crew could analyze the other ideas to decide how the server will try to abuse them. :)
  7. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

YAH!

Ideas for fastest implementation: just add maker's mark to baked goods (fastest to implement without any other additions)

Follow up ideas (would take longer to implement but could be awesome):
    - Allow for custom naming of exceptional baked goods (could be abused by using racist/inappropriate names). This could be corrected by limiting 'free' writing of names; instead GM cooks could make 'ad lib' creations from a pre-defined list of perhaps 20-30 words (Snake, ale, cake, upside down, burnt, etc.) and they could mix and match terms.

- BoD system for COOKS! 1000 GM pies. Possible rewards: aesthetic food related deco items (a china set, turkey drums, an edible arrangement, etc)
    PaddyOBrien and Ragar like this.
  8. One

One Well-Known Member

9. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Awesome! The BoD system for cooks would be very nice. there are all sorts of food related decor that could be done with that.... imagine the possibilities!
    Jupiter likes this.
  10. Kishember

Kishember Active Member

Lets not forget the idea the thread-starter - Athena - took up. This could be a good aid to role-playing as well as all the ideas about poison in the pvp spirit.