Courtyard Security (Large Keep)

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Valient, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Valient

Valient Active Member

Heard people saying that they disabled their courtyard? What exactly is this?

Is it somehow possible to know if your courtyard is secured or not? If you collapse and replace the Keep, is the courtyard secured?
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Samorite likes this.
  2. Samorite

Samorite Renaissance Game Master
    Renaissance Staff

Valient likes this.
  3. Valient

Valient Active Member

Just to clarify things. When people say that they've disabled the courtyard, they simply removed all the recall spots with tables, right?
  4. Holden

Holden Well-Known Member

I believe there is an option on the house sign to disable the cy. So you won't be able to recall/mark? in there. So it won't matter how 'dirty' it is, but your runes will not work either.

I could be wrong though, as I haven't used it.

Alternately you can use tables to block all but one spot where your runes are. This will cut down on the possibility of someone else's rune working.

If you keep your door locked and have a table wall none of this matters.
    Valient likes this.
  5. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

I don’t believe there is a way to disable courtyards. Assume they are unsafe. If all spots are not blocked it can be recalled into. Even if they don’t own the house. Usually ppl block off all areas except a small portion and that’s what they use. But like I said early ALWAYS Assume its not secure.
  6. Xavant_BR

Xavant_BR Well-Known Member

Go to test server and see if you can move your keep some tiles
  7. Earsnot

Earsnot Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Open up the menu from the house sign and tick the box titled “disable CY” or whatever it is. Now you, nor anyone else can recall into your CY.
    Blendax likes this.
  8. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

That’s legit??
  9. Earsnot

Yup. Try it on test.
    Willy likes this.
  10. Xavant_BR

Yesterday i moved my cy in 3 tiles... after a lots of tests on test server i got confident.. but then i talked with some friends, and they tried to encourage me to gate all this shit to another house and make the procces... we'll i should have listem them... but i decided to risk this move...
    It was probably 30 second of terror.. my first attempt of place not worked(i was with a small deed in any case).. something blocking.. tried one more time(on the exactly place i have repeated at test server)... nothing... i started to swett so i decide to run around.... immediately i found a fucking bottle i must have forgot to take out of the way....
    CONCLUSION, it worked...
    In the end, as you can see in the last photo(the chests represent what left of my old cy) i got more than then a half cy completely secure!

Captura de Tela 2019-09-27 às 20.56.33.png
    Captura de Tela 2019-09-27 às 21.02.33.png Captura de Tela 2019-09-27 às 21.25.21.png
    MikeK, PaddyOBrien, Hawkeye and 5 others like this.
  11. Fraggle

Fraggle Well-Known Member

@Xavant_BR

I applaud the effort of moving your keep. That's no easy task... I wanted to share my experience with a similar situation. I once had a keep north of Trinsic that when purchased, had been there for quite some time. After spending some time on test and counting tiles, I found out I could completely reset the courtyard. Many months later there was much interest and drama involved (go figure) in "dirty" courtyards. Chris allowed for a short period of time to check Fort/Keep CYs with a simple command. I had one tile marked "TrinsicSwamp". It was a random tile and probably marked prior to Chris opening the world to house placement. Also, whispers around west Brit bank said nefarious individuals that shall not be named marked random runes all over Sosaria to aid them in their home invasion endeavors.

TL;DR Stay safe. The only secure CY is one that YOU ran the command on and KNOW its secure. I think this will be and option when copper comes into play.
    MikeK and eherruh like this.
  12. Xavant_BR

Thanks @Fraggle one of the first owners told me(after i posted the pic) that the keep was originally in the place where i posted.
    But yeah even changing place i keep that door locked 24h day.. i will never treat a CY as another house room..
    I just changed because i felt someone was stalking me and i had a episode where i lost the rune of it.. so i dont feel 100% safe, but i think i avoided this specific visitor..
    Anyway i dont have too much thing, so my main goal is try to keep all the relevant stuff in secured chests..
    MikeK likes this.
  13. Earsnot

I’ll also chime in with a similar tale.

My fort in North Minoc was placed originally by Blaise during the landrush and was the A^T guild halls. It’s over a tree which is dope as I have a tree in my CY and the spots grandfathered. No one had a rune except Blaise, Blaise had enough enemies that if a CY rune did exist it would of got swarmed.
    Blaise never had his CY compromised.

He sold it to Gideon and gave over ALL the runes, because that’s how real g’s flip a spot.
    Gideon never had his CY compromised

Gideon sold it to Infantry and gave over ALL the runes, because that’s how real g’s flip a spot. Infantry never had the CY compromised.

Infantry sold it to me and gave over ALL the runes, because - that’s right - that’s how real g’s Flip a spot.

To test the CY I left a 1 mil cheque, unlocked, on a table that was locked down on the grass of the CY when CY lockdown deeds were still a thing (bring these back they would be an amazing plat sink) no one EVER came and took the cheque so after a few weeks I decided it was legit.

I filled my CY with 12 tiles of trash stacked to max height.

Then one day Fatty Mike appeared in my CY, with a character he’d made with someone from The Mockers guild, gates out all my trash and left a book pretending to be Jimmy The Hand. Then told everyone it was him anyway before I’d even noticed the trash was gone.

My point is that Fatty Mikes suffers from premature ejokeulation.

Oh and no CY is ever secure.

MiD - don’t start a fight, I’m too busy to get into it. I still think it was funny as fuck and a genuinely smooth move however you broke in and have NO hard feelings about it.

Genuinely. 5/5 Fellas.
  14. Earsnot

And we’ll done @Xavant_BR on having the sack to pick up and move a fort.

I’ve never placed a fort on live, cause I’m on a Mac and it just black screens me whenever I’ve tried.
    Xavant_BR likes this.
  15. Blacklow

Blacklow Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Something i had picked up, and i am not sure if its mentioned in the housing security guides. But since a thief has to be within 1 tile of a locked chest, you can lock down and lock a chest to safely store items that overload a secure one.

upload_2019-10-3_13-30-49.png

My keep has a set of three secure chests just inside of the keep CY door for items i routinely access or want to access again. Then a line of other chests that locked down/locked so i can dump gold, gems, regs, resources, or unidentified items i will sort later. So long as i dont forget and leave one unlocked when i am organizing, then there is no risk of theft.

This is before the table wall i use to block access to the remainder of the keep.
    Hollywood likes this.
  16. Valient

Valient Active Member

I might be wrong, but how can Xavant's courtyard be half secured? If he's not the original owner, and the House has been IDOC previously, he might have a surprise in a near future. Most people I found waiting for IDOCs, usually hide behind the property with marked locations.
    Xavant_BR likes this.
  17. Blacklow

Blacklow Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

The only way will be when you wipe it after CUB is released. Until then it can never be considered truly secure. Though moving it isn't a bad plan if you have the stones to do it.

I just treat my cy as a mostly safe spot to quickly unload/restock or afk. But i never set anything down in there that i cant afford to loose, cause i know some day someone will surprise me.
  18. Xavant_BR

As i told valient... i will keep my cy door locked like in a normal house.. Specialy with the last owner telling me he moved the keep one or two tiles(i moved 3 tiles) before sell that.. And he told me after that maybe one or two owners have used it after him... With this information, i changed the blockers and i am using now only one tile line and not the two i thought was safe.
    the only point is... if you had a trouble, try to move it, maybe work, maybe not... in the end what matters is feell safety from that one you suspect is stalking you.
  19. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

This is great.. thanks.

I too have moved a keep from one spot to another and the courtyard overlaying what use to be the floor of the keep. Dummy me thought I was slick in doing this. Little did I know that Bart had a shit ton of runes to that area he had marked to troll a former player who owned a keep in that area quite a while back before my time on UOR. Feeling good about myself I left my cy door unlocked. Came back to my comp, 3 chars dead and all my shit was gone.

Lesson learned:
    Never underestimate the pettiness of players and how long they will hold onto stuff.
    Xavant_BR, Willy, NCCML and 2 others like this.
  20. merlin8666

merlin8666 Well-Known Member

Oh how much I miss you man
    Earsnot likes this.