Cove Fortress Preservation Society inaugural action

Discussion in 'The Salty Dog Tavern' started by Jupiter, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

Cove Fortress Preservation Society

Attention fellows and maidens of the realm! Owing in great part to Dalavar Covemages' fortress library, the economy in the city of Cove has improved dramatically due to the increased traffic of people using the fortress library.

And in cadence with their good fortunes, I am pleased to announce our inaugural action in that I have obtained the necessary permits and drawn up plans to construct a stable and employ a stablemaster within the city! The only thing I lack, aside from common sense, are the funds and resources to finish construction.

Therefore, I am asking you good citizens to help contribute. I have locked down piles of boards and gold atop the fortress. If you have benefitted by the fantastic and comprehensive rune archives that have been compiled by Dalavar Covemage, I ask that you consider leaving a small token of appreciation.

I have also placed the plans on display so you can verify their legitimacy.

Once we have reached our funding goal I shall submit the items to the Lord of the realm to begin construction. The people of Cove will rejoice!

Signed Jupiter Of Paws
    Chairman of CFPS (Cove Fortress Preservation Society)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  2. Jupiter

Here you will see where the plans are on display. The plans will not include any bypasses through anybody's homes, so you shouldn't have to worry. Unless your name is Authur Dent. In which case it is entirely possible that our plans could result in a bypass through your thoroughfare.

Cheers.
  3. Jupiter

Thanks to a VERY generous benefactor, the funding now includes 46 splendorous platinum coins!

In the event that you are so rich that you don't carry gold around with you anymore, you can now also donate platinum coins!

Thank you!
  4. newme

newme Well-Known Member

Hi. I do think the idea of a stable around Cove is a good idea. But have a couple of questions.
    Is the stable going to be in Cove protective area, or outside of the protective area?
    And what happens to the stable if it is in the Library, if the owner decides to quit the game?

Thanks great idea.
  5. Jupiter

*Jupiter reads through the plans*

"Thank you for your question Governess.
    Well according to what I see here the plans designate an area within the town limits. It will not be attached to any player owned houses.

I am merely using the pinace of The Fortress to help drum up support. "

*Jupiter looks out to the town hall crowd*

"Thank you. And now I'll take questions from anybody else?

Yes, you in the back with the cow spotted jacket and laser beam eyes? "
  6. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

What a fantastic idea! I'm harvesting the nearby trees as we speak.

I was wondering, councilman Jupiter, how many boards will be required for construction?
  7. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

What are the total funds/resources estimated to be required to finish the construction?
  8. Jupiter

*Jupiter looks to the man holding a dragon by the reins*

First, sir, I'll thank you to keep your dragon outside as we have asked that no pets be admitted into the town hall. It's terribly crowded!

The total funding we are hoping to raise is the total limit of each of the piles of gold currently atop the Fortress, which our accountants have estimated is roughly 420,000. We know it's not a tremendous amount in comparison to the vast wealth contained within the bank accounts of our shard's powergamers, but we find it suits the humble needs of a stables that will fit within the city zoning requirements. Anything more might result in outlandishly gold plated gates, with I don't think is conducive to a healthy animal life.

I can say with full confidence that all of the funds raised (excluding the platinum because NPC's won't allow you to drop platinum on them) will go directly towards the citizens of Cove by means of job employment and anything left over will be designated to grants to help educate these backwater folks.

Thank you for your question.

Next?
    Vishakt likes this.
  9. Vishakt

Vishakt Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

*raises paw*

Huw kud Vish ged ad dem shinies? Vish nub greedee ob kurz. Ee tinkun der tuu meni ub dere...de ruuf ob latz uglee humi hut mebbe kolapz agh led en awl de watur dat fawl frum de sky agh den ruen uu's dumhed buukz. De miti Bludchuk'Hai kan keeb awl de shinies sayf fer uu en de furt. Id watur pruuf.
    Codus and Jupiter like this.
  10. Nymeros

Nymeros Well-Known Member

11. Jupiter

*Jupiter looks at the seedy looking figure who is clearly an orc dressed in a robe*

Your altruism is truly astounding, but I assure you that @Dalavar spared no expense in the construction of his fortress. It was built to withstand the most severe seismic movements.

However, your comments do bring to light the fact that the plans for the stables may become weathered, so we may move to build a suitable pavilion under which they will be stored.

*Jupiter turns his attention to Nymeros' banner*

And if you will all look to the back of the room, we are displaying the golem and Golem Lord statues that will be auctioned off to help support this noble cause. If you wish to make a bid for these wonderfully crafted statuettes, please post under Nymeros' trading post thread.

I again thank you all for attending this townhall. Light refreshments will be served in the back of the hall. We shall keep the discussion forum open for any who may still have questions.

Thank you!
    ReZon and Alice Asteroid like this.
  12. Jupiter

Our fund raiser for the Cove stables has been met with overwhelming support.

We will move forward with our next steps to deliver the plans to the governors of Cove and begin construction.

Given that the distance between the library and Cove can be covered in a short march, it should be a simple task...
    Alice Asteroid, Ragar and ReZon like this.
  13. Nymeros

Nymeros Well-Known Member

Do you need reptilian protection on your way Jupiter?
  14. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

How does this actually work? Is there actually a system in place to "upgrade towns" via GM support?

I am taking donation for the woods people of Britain forest. Give me gold too!
  15. Jupiter

Hi PFR.

This particular upgrade is not going to be attached to a player-town or building. The designs are to have it built in the town of Cove.

That said, I can't speak for @Chris, but I know he is working on a more defined path to player town upgrades. Some of the pre-requisites being
    1. Demonstrated support of community activity
    2. A significant gold and resource payment (gold sink)
    3. Preferably an established story/established history of events at the location

The hardest part about setting these rules "in stone" is of course the power gamer mentality that most of us have. Once there is a defined way to do this it might just become a new trophy people seek to attain solo farming.

That being said I hope I have no beef with you. I'm sure you were asking for an honest response. I trust my record shows that I have always ever sought for GM assisted content that benefit the community and not myself personally and only things that can benefit all playstyles. You can ask Telamon, I even protested the Village of Paws stables at first. The only reason I've kept the buildings of VoP standing is for a physical representation of the Spirit of Paws so people have a specific place they can go to find it.

I have considered many ideas for PK related play styles, but most of them don't come about since the rivalries in PvP and PK circles run too deep and people aren't able to set aside grudges(this goes for PvM, RP, and PvP groups; most people regardless of play style tend to hold grudges). However if you are ever interested in hosting some "PFR themed" events let me know. I'm sure we could find some ideas that you can host directly that won't require you to risk your main PFR character.
    Pork Fried Rice and Nymeros like this.
  16. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

I'm bringing up the question because it wasn't answered in the topic already. I felt clarification was needed as to what exactly you're trying to gather funds for, that's all - it was nothing personal.

Although, collecting money without knowing you can spend it on an upgrade seems kinda forward but I guess the money can always be used for something else if Chris doesn't want to delete it by adding a stable to the town of Cove.
  17. Jupiter

I'm a Robin Hood of sorts, but I don't like "handing" gold out because I don't feel that encourages long term players and personally it appears to me like a 'desperation' when people try to give you gold without any kind of effort. Any gold I raise from events like this is used to fund/reward the comical, crazy adventures I take people on.

Also, I have found in most cases the Veteran players refuse to accept rewards for the adventures I have, so most of the gold goes to newer players.

With this specific endeavor I am still on the fence about 'trash barreling' the gold, but I would be willing to see PFR has any thoughts.

I think a fun PK event would be a 'guard the gold' type of event. Maybe get 300-400k gold and set it in the world somewhere. Right around the 15-20 minute mark, alert the shard to where the gold is located.

PK Goal: Kill everyone who tries to get at the gold
    Shard Goal: Try to get to the gold piles before they vanish with the 1 hour decay timer

I imagine you could have a bunch of boxes full of 15-20k gold (so people can't heft it and run) and have 2-3 bots spamming 'dispel closest gate'.

Such an event would have PvP, plus excitement for all to enjoy :)
    ReZon likes this.
  18. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

Great idea, I think just having gate and recall disabled for a certain perimeter around the gold would work well too.
  19. Ragar

Ragar Active Member

Normally I'd love that idea but if the gold was raised for stables and they appear I think the gold should be fed to a goat at the stables and then the goat sacrificed to christen the building.

That said Jupiter I'd support that event as well.
  20. Codus

Codus Well-Known Member

I agree w/ Ragar. I was under the assumption that those funds would be paid to the architect of the stable (telamon [delete).

That PK event sounds awesome! - even if it wasn't for a reward like 400k gold.. To just have PK's stand gaurd over plundered crates of .. "books stolen from lord british library" or "vendor wepons intended for the militia of *Insert Town*"

Point being - they don't have to be guarding anything, just an all out war where everyone "plays nice" (doesn't bring anything they don't mind losing and noone counts the pks. You're going to an event on the assumption your going to die to reds).
    Alice Asteroid and Jupiter like this.