Crafting needs fixed.

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Sir Billy, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Sir Billy

Sir Billy Active Member
    UO:R Donor

It is my opinion that tailors and smiths are way to OP. they can make gold hand over fist with BOD's and selling items to players. My lonely Cook, his gold per hour is near nothing. Something has to be done. HAAHHAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAA Come on!
    newme likes this.
  2. 1-1=0

1-1=0 Active Member

Nice satire. But it is a strawman.

Is anyone actually complaining about gold generation of tamers? Who cares about that? The issue is running around with several 800HP mobs with firebreath.

edit: who are also newbied and cannot be lost.
    newme and Maltman like this.
  3. Savage

Savage Well-Known Member

Crafting does need fixing, if you make Gm weapons and Armor , it is used as throw away training equipment or no loss Death Equipment.
    If BODs didn't exist, there would be no reason to make a Crafter other then house add-ons. There should be Smiths pounding out Weapons we all want to use, repairing peoples armor at the Town Forge and selling street-side goods. As it is now, your Ingots are worth more then the Scrap Metal you make.
    I know your post was made in jest, but the "Title" is a True Statement and strikes a chord with me.....see my crafting post in the Founders/Development area if you have access as a Donor/Subscriber.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    Swizzlesticks, newme and Melochabre like this.
  4. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

Gold per hour potential was cited by several people. It may not bother you, but it does bother others.
    newme likes this.
  5. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Crafters filling BoDs for gold is not doing the same thing as any other template, with less risk. It is apples and oranges comparing crafting risk with tamer risk. Tamers are out doing the same thing as warriors with weapons.

That said, the crafting market is boring and everyone knows you're better off putting the resources into BoDs for the return than a player vendor. You can make a fare chunk with runic weapons, once you get into the gold and above levels. There are just too few people actually wearing metal armor because it's not worth it to use it or lose it. I think normalizing AR values across the spectrum of materials would help at least a little bit. The fact that iron dex suits are literally laughable gear, along with plain leather, really kinda sucks. Let's not pretend we play in a world where people are going to put themselves at a disadvantage by wearing sub-peak AR gear, outside of RP. With all ore types giving the same AR, people can pick the color they want without sacrificing valuable defense. Same goes for leathers, because I'd like to rock spined leathers on some characters, but not at the expense of AR.

Also, the sheer fact that there are BoD rewards, ensures there will absolutely be more crafters. With more crafters, fewer people need others to craft for them, thus the market takes a hit. We have over 400 GM Blacksmiths on the shard and no one needs to ask for an Arms Lore check on their weapons because of Powder of Fort and the website data. Repairs are done by magic deeds so interaction isn't required like it once was either. Bah, it needs fixed.
    ReZon, Arawn and newme like this.
  6. newme

newme Well-Known Member

It is true that crafters can make gold and get cool items with bods. Right now there is an over abundance of player vendors on the server, so running a vendor is not really a fantastic way to make gold. (Unless you happen to find an open spot in one of the popular player vendor areas.)

I do think it would be nice if player made armor could have a way to be enhanced. Putting more demand on it. If I remember correctly, at one time in UO blacksmiths could enhance armor by using gold ingots. I think this feature should be put back in game. Although I can't remember if it was era accurate, think it might have been taken out before Renaissance.

thanks for the thread, an interesting one.
  7. Plankton

Plankton Active Member

I run a vendor even though I'm probably not earning gold. It's just something you do in UO. We probably don't have enough players and it is too easy to macro a crafter.
    Blaise likes this.
  8. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member

I like running a vendor. So far good old Kale has been able to sustain himself but even if he couldn't, I'd probably keep him around anyway. I can make any number of jokes at his expense and he never says a word!
  9. T3h D4ve

T3h D4ve Well-Known Member

Welllllllllllllll, spined isnt hard to farm. Very easy.
    Horned's a lil trickier, barbed being the trickiest and not so noob friendly to gather it up.

Cos of that, the price and AR is adjusted, and I think it works cos lets face it, a dragons hide is gonna be tougher than a ratmans hide.

Blaise mentioned a LONG time ago about dye stains for metal armour. I'd vote for those before normalising all resource types to the same AR.
    However, I wouldn't say no to the total AR of those different suits being brought closer together for less of a difference.

Gold generation of tamers is on par with a bard swinging a slayer, crafters however are there to make goods/wares and they then pump all that cash back into resources/bods like crackheads, thats why crafters are broke.

That and due to BODs, everyone has crafters......a trio of em, so there's your lack of need for them, except for those new players needing a suit of anything better than npc vendor armour.
    Ragar likes this.
  10. Melochabre

Melochabre Well-Known Member

Horned leather is by far the easiest leather to get, just ask any fisherman.
    ReZon likes this.
  11. T3h D4ve

Dire wolves....they drop spinned I think.....serpents......ratmen......uh.....lizardmen.....some tameables on dagger isle too i THINK....
    Then yeah horned's relatively simple too.
    Barbed's really the only one you gotta pay attention while farming.
  12. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Do you seriously think anyone buys non-peak GM armor (sub-Valorite, sub-Barbed) for any reason other than RP or just not knowing that "lesser" materials give them less protection?

There's literally no reason to leave the AR spread the way it is. It only suits to reduce the potential market and stifle creativity in appearance. Dyes or not, you shouldn't have to worry about what color a piece of leather armor is, just what condition it is in. Presently, all ore types short of Valorite only have use in BoDs and runics, for the most part. The same thing goes for any hides short of Barbed, except there's no runics in Tailoring, yet.

If there is any real tangible harm that could come from normalized AR across material types, I'd love to hear it.
    Alice Asteroid likes this.
  13. Plankton

Plankton Active Member

I use iron armor all the time.
  14. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member

That's cuz you're an RPer!

I know this isn't the first time you've mentioned it but I like this idea a lot.
  15. T3h D4ve

Yes, some people like the hues.
    That and lets pull the rp/non rp arguement in here, rp some things but not others so stronger critters provide the same strength of hides as ratmen?

Meh, I just hear too much bs recently of lets change this, change that, when really, it's worked so far and worked pretty well.

Take bronze runics, people still use those quite regularly.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  16. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Dave, I'd file that under the RP category. You know what the best is, but you choose less because that's how you want your character to look. No one wears lesser armor because they want less protection. Thus, less protection should be relegated to things like non-exceptional gear and sub-Hardening.
  17. T3h D4ve

No I dye the suit blue regardless.
    Isn't stealth an AR based skill? There's the fallout, less parts covered using less armour items with the same AR.
    You want a buncha half nekkid thieves running around Ocllo!?
    *coughs*

Only thing about crafting needing fixed, is the smith bods.
    Nothing but iron from the npc's 99% of the time, and an awful lot of it just normal quality bods.

edit-
    Just realised it'd probably increase the flow of shadow iron in the market, I'm now for normalisation of smith armour so I can finally fill 3+ books of shadow bod flips that ive sorted.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  18. Savage

Savage Well-Known Member

I know the original intent of this post was not Crafting, but I am going to use it as a platform to put my Ideas out there as concise and to the point as I can.

Fixing Crafting as I am going to lay out would not only help crafters, but would address multiple complaints and deficiencies seen here daily on this Forum.

The Endgame of Crafting is Bods. While Bods are a Great addition, Runic Tools have no place here. Yes they are here now, but I have Ideas to address them if we could get a "Real crafting System" implemented.
    A Crafter should be able to make the equivalent of monster/chest looted Weapons/Armor/Slayers with the exception of Boss and Quest Items. Crafting should be the "Central Hub" in this UO Wheel, feeding on(purchasing) farmed resources and looted items and turning out(selling) high quality Goods to Farm and Fight with.
    High-End Items now only come from monsters/chests and Runic Tools, the best of which will not be normally risked in the "Open World" because of their Value. They sit in chests and banks only to be pulled out for a safe or semi-safe low risk use, come on People... these shouldn't be a "Sword of a Thousand Truths" type Items!...Really? They shouldn't be common either, but Hundreds of Thousands - Millions is ridiculous, People actually quit over High-End Equipment Loss. You shouldn't have to make a Character around a Weapon you have, you should make Weapons and Armor based on your Character's needs.

All Skills that can make Weapons and Armor would work off this, I will use Blacksmithing as a base to explain how it works. You would be able to "Smelt or Shred-Unravel" any "Magic" metal/wood/leather Item, receiving ONLY ONE of Its Properties of your choosing. This would be done via a "Craftable Add-on (Smelter/Shredder) or Menu Button(smelt/shred), or a "New Unraveling Skill". It would give you an Ingot/Shredded Wood-Leather or a Gem with the ONE Property you wished to salvage off the "Magic" Item. Weapons(Ruin,Might,Force,Power,Vanquishing)-Armor(Defense,Guarding,Hardening,Fortification,Invulnerability)-Slayers(Humanoid,Undead,Reptilian,Arachnid,Abyss,Elemental,Fey)-ONLY ONE of These Properties Per Item Salvaged.
    (Salvaging would give the same base resource amount as any item you salvage now, plus 1 "magical resource" of your choosing...Example- If a Longsword uses 12 Ingots to make, you smelt it getting 6 in return, you would get 6 Iron Ingots plus 1 of the "magical propertied Ingots")

This is "Clean-Up Britannia Crafting! Less Items = Less Lag, and all the Salvaged Properties now Stack in piles of Ingots/Shredded Wood-Leather or Gems of the same property. You're NOT going to smelt an Exceedingly Accurate Spear of Power and Repond , why would you? .. a Crafted Version as hard as it would be to make, would be No Better then the looted Version unless you got an "Exceptional" which would only add Durability based on your "Arms lore"(currently broken and useless, see Arms lore below)

Crafting Magical Armor and Weapons
    Ok, You Smelted a junk Vanq Hally you didn't like... you got one Vanq Ingot. Now you need to smelt another Vanq Item you don't like, or wont use to have a CHANCE to make the Vanq Spear you DO Want for your Fencer, because it takes 2 Ingots of a Property to add a Property.(you lost some in smelting) Your chance of making an Item is exactly the same as a Regular Item in the Menu based on your Main Crafting Skill (in this case Blacksmith), having high Arm lore will add to the % chance to add Accuracy/Durability, Exceptional will add a Bonus over monster looted Durability, like adding powder.
    Making a Vanquishing Slayer Spear...
    You Salvaged 2 Vanq Weapons and 2 Slayer Weapons(type), 4 Weapons(you didn't want) Total to get the "Magic Ingots" needed to make it. You need 12 Regular Iron Ingots to make a Spear, at 100 BS your Chance to make a Spear is 100 normal/ 57 exceptional(correct me if I'm wrong) You will Make a Vanq Spear 100 normal/57% exceptional, the Slayer will come out % based Sub Slayer more common and Super Slayer more Rare(Type)- Accuracy/ Durability is % based off Arms lore Skill, 100 would give better chance to hit max Accuracy/ Durability.
    You Salvaged 4 Weapons to have a "chance" to make your Weapon of Choice, 8 if it didn't pop the right sub or super, 12 if failed again, so it's not like the world is over-run with Super Slayers, but your gonna Farm your ass off to either get One Spawned(and hope its the Fencer,Sword,Mace,Archery you want), or enough lesser Weps to maybe Make the ONE YOU WANT!
    (Any Skill that can make Weapons or Armor would work exactly the SAME, Metal/Wooden/Leather-Weapon/Armor/Shield/Staff/Bow/Hatchet/Butcher Knife)

Your Weapon/Armor is still Rare and Valuable , but not Stupid Rare and too Valuable too Risk, No Blessing Needed Here, and you made a Weapon/Armor Piece to fit your Character, Not Made a Character to fit your UBER Item that you will only use in a Safe "instanced" Dungeon!
    Arms lore- is Broken, It should give a # Number Durability like a Tool to show its Durability when used directly on an Item. As a passive Skill it would determine Accuracy/Durability of crafted Weapons and Armor when combined with a Base Craft Skill making Metal/Wooden/Leather Weapons Armor and Shields.

Bods and Runics
    Runic Hammers would be replaced with high end Deco and Plus Skill Items for that Craft( Ancient Hammers+ 5-60(limited uses) and or wearables +3-5) The Plus Skill Items would aid in the Crafting of Better Items.
    Existing Runic Hammers and Weapons could be exchanged Via "Turn in System"
    High End Hammers(unused) Get a High End Ancient with same uses to make High End Gear No Fail Exceptional Items.
    High End Weapons would get a "1-Bang" High-End Hammer for a No Fail Exceptional Weapon.
    Used hammers would have to be used up and "Turned in" as Weapons for 1 Bang Hammers
    Lesser Hammers and Weapons would get lower scaled skill Hammers for potentially lesser weapons.

Availability and Choice, Empower The Crafters, make them something other then a Bod Machine! Crafters should be The Hub, not the Rock that gets run over by the Wheel! Do this and Watch this Great Server Grow in size and Quality!

Until Tomorrow Night...Savage.. goodnight!
    Melochabre likes this.
  19. Horatio

Horatio Active Member

I sell a shitload of Horned leather and bone armour on my vendor. @1500 a suit for horned leather and 1750 normal honed bone, 6k per gm horned bone.

Horned leather @ 29 AR is only 2 less than barbed and when you have GM bone; 45 AR horned vs 47 AR barbed is not much at all.

Spined though, I havnt tried to sell due to lack of materials.