Daily Rares.

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Rainbow, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Rainbow

Rainbow Member

I know that the staff here wants to make the server as close to OSI UO:R as possible. But what are the plans for the daily rares? I personally don't think they should be put into the same locations as OSI. Any thoughts on this?
  2. newme

newme Well-Known Member

Interesting thought. I would like to see some put in more easy locations. Not super easy, but where
    monster mobs are not as intense.
    Would also be fun trying to discover some of the locations. Perhaps some in game clues could be given.
    Something like the quest npc. Just few ideas.

thanks
  3. Rainbow

Rainbow Member

Exactly newme. Searching for the new locations is

1. Fun
    2. Frustrating
    3. Addicting

It would also help keep the items a little rarer for a while. If they are in the same location as OSI everybody and their brother would know where they are. I'm not really big on the quest ideas but I know some people like it and since it doesn't effect the overall gameplay mechanics I wouldn't be too heart broken about them. However, I wouldn't make daily rares part of any quest. I might even make them 48 hour to 72 hour spawns just to keep them rarer. A few of the locations could be in random cities, but say quite a few of them are deep in dungeons or out at some random unguarded location. You would not only have to fight your way to them through the monsters from the get go, but it might also force a little PvP action trying to get the item and get out alive.

My reasoning for the 48-72 hour spawns, is that it would make the item rarer and therefore worth more. Only some servers I have seen fruit baskets go for 7.5k and on some I have seen them go for 15K. Having an item be rare even t a point where its above "semi" rare might help the overall economy.

Problem is would everyone who plays here agree to that, some people make their living off recalling to certain spawns grabbing them up really quick and throwing them on a vendor.

I would be happy either way. 24 hours or 48-72 as long as the locations were different.
  4. newme

newme Well-Known Member

Oh, I didn't mean the daily rares would be a quest item, just that a random npc would give a clue to the location. Not
    several npc. That would make the location still difficult to find.
    Another thought I had, would be a totally random drop of rare. Perhaps a dragon would have a rare. This wouldn't be
    consistent. Meaning the same dragon would not have the rare all the time. That would fit in with how the seers used
    to create rares. Not sure when the seers where taken out of game, but if the time frame fits, than would be era accurate.
    Getting a "special item" ever once in while would mix things up a bit . ( not sure if that fits in with daily rares, just a thought)

You posed some good thoughts, thanks
  5. Gharik

Gharik Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I've actually been going back and forth with Chris over the rare issue over the past month. The problem with having things be ground spawns is Razor. Clever people can create a complicated enough Razor macro to farm rares that are ground spawns. We've both seen this abused rather frequently on other servers. Keeping that all in mind... we are looking at the possibility of having them be drops of sorts. Of course they would be extremely rare, but would make sense. For instance, ice serpents dropping ice staffs? Not bloody likely in my book haha. (Keep in mind, I am NOT staff. I am just here to assist them in any way I can. I do not have final say in anything, I merely offer advice.)

Also, this server is not limited to era accuracy. They are using UOR as a template that they intend to perfect over time.
  6. newme

newme Well-Known Member

Your advice from what I have heard sounds good to me. I am not any kind of staff either, just lucky
    to have been invited to play on the test shard.
    I like the idea of drop rares, if they could be totally random, so someone couldn't just hang out in one spot
    and keep getting the same rare off a creature.

I am sure the staff will do the best they can, and will work to fix any weak spots which show up after live.
    I can't imagine the amount of work entailed, thanks guys.
  7. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

The rare system will be really great here. The goal of all the systems that are in the works, such as the rare system, are to promote and reward activity & actually playing the game. So many servers have 500 clients online, but each person is running 4 clients, and 80% of them are afk resource gathering or rare farming. All of that will be avoided here, making your playtime profitable, fun, and worthwhile :>
  8. newme

newme Well-Known Member

Sounds great. "big smile"

And thanks for all the things for non pvpers as well
  9. SneakyT

SneakyT Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers
    UO:R Subscriber

Hmm Rares, I gotta get some of those. :)
  10. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member

/slapshand

They are mine! Rawr!
  11. Descartes

Descartes Well-Known Member

Fiends.
  12. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Expect a detailed blog post on the Renaissance rares system before to long. It is one of the first things I experimented with in the alpha phase.