Decorating Guide by: Peep

Discussion in 'Guides' started by purple, Sep 22, 2013.

1. purple

purple Member

When decorating you can use tables, benches, and of course this newer item called a decorating tool. Decorating takes imagination and sometimes skill, as you play UOR your skill will increase as you will get more ideas from others' work. Then you may try using gems, vegetables, and other items like statues to spice things up.

You can start decorating by simply locking things down on the floor by saying "i wish to lock this down" in game and clicking on the item (this way someone can't walk by and pick your items up.) If you mess up on the positioning of an item and it's locked down you can free it by saying "i wish to release this" in game and clicking on the item. Another simple way to decorate is to plop down a "plain one square table" and place something under it, the item will automatically pop up above the table and you can then lock it down (leave the table there and lock it down.)

By using tables and stacking them, you can achieve higher positions with your items. (do not lock down the tables.) By stacking tables and placing a spell book on top you can lock down your house keys once you put them on a key ring. (which can be bought from a tinker shop.)

Please keep in mind that only a co-owner of a house or the owner may fully decorate a house. When you get done locking down the keys or items you can pick up the tables and book and the keys/ item will stay in place. With tables you can also drop them on the floor (not locking them down) and stacking things on them to create things like flags. (Stack things by what you want to go on top 1st.) Then you can remove the table and leave them there, because items do not decay in your house.

If something just doesn't look right to you try using benches. Stacking benches on top of stuff will make an item move up or down slightly or move the item side to side slightly when you drop the item under it (like you would with a table.) You can use a combination of tables and benches to put things like pillows on beds and such.

You can also use benches to make book shelves by stacking them up 2 at a time (side by side) and locking them down, then releasing every other one from the floor up (leaving the 1st one and the last.) Next you'll drop books and such and lock them down in the shelf you made or leave them accessible (they will automatically pop into a "slot".)

The basic function of the decoration tool is to adjust positioning and can be found at an npc vendor for 10,001 gold (as of now... economy may change.) It can move items up and down, and it can also turn some but only if the item is locked down. This tool is commonly used by more experienced decorators. Use it by double clicking it and checking one of the options, then click the item (right click the gump to make it go away.)

I will give a few examples in picture form of projects that i have done or helped with. This "cloth carpet" is somewhat difficult... you have to lock down 2 stacked cut cloth at a time and raise them up 2 tiles, then lock down 2 more stacked cut cloth under the raised ones, next drop back down the cloth that was raised by 1 tile. Repeat until surface is covered (make sure to place add- ons 1st.)

Also when using the decoration tool by itself keep in mind that you can only raise a locked down item 16 tiles. But with combining the use of tables and the tool you can reach greater heights. -You can also use house add- ons to decorate your humble abode (crafters make them and sell them on player vendors.)

Tips- you can hold the shift key down to pick up and drag stack-able items quickly.

- use dye packs and dye tubs to change the color of dye-able items.

- be sure not to have the items you are trying to decorate with in your razor scavenger, it will pick them up.

- if you have a blacksmith or a tinkerer try making things out of different ore/ ingots to see what effect they have.

- try putting paintings on the wall and move them up and down.

- do NOT forget house security when decorating! someone can rob you if they stealth in with a thief.

- secure your rares in box by typing in game "i wish to secure this"... it allows you to set an access level to that box or bag so only you or your friends can get in it.

- if you can't get something high enough try incorporating ladders, you can chop them up when you are done with an ax or a hatchet. (you can also chop up add- ons.)

- use circle of transparency to see more of your house (can access this from paperdoll options menu.)

- use ctrl + shift to show all items in you sight, while holding you can eliminate unwanted items by right clicking on them.
    - before you start putting stuff in your house after you purchase it and place it, transfer it to a different character, then make the house public (dbclick sign, house options transfer, bdclick sign, house options, make public). Once you do that you can change the image projected on your sign like mine, then transfer the house back to the original owner and make the house private (you must change the locks in the sign menu after this and lock all the doors). Now you have a cool sign without your house being public!

So get out there and decorate!- Peep

Attached Files:

2. KGB

KGB New Member

Great guide, I'm a complete idiot when it comes to house decorating and this gave me quite a few ideas.