Defined area without mounts? (poll)

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Blaise, May 7, 2015.

Would you like to see an area of UOR where mounts were not allowed?

1. Yes

65.3%
  2. No

34.7%
  1. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Just a basic poll for everyone. If there were a place, dungeon, land area, where you could not ride a mount at all, would you be interested in playing there?
    For any reason, RP, adventure, group combat, whatever.
    Nerull, Hawkeye and Oni Neaufire like this.
  2. Plankton

Plankton Active Member

3. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

-1 era accuracy
    -1 perfection
    I'd rather see more mounts added
    Holden and One like this.
  4. Fin

Fin Well-Known Member

5. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

In a limited area, for the sake of variety, sure.

EDIT: Better an area without animals (including tames)at all. Too scared to go in there or what ever the argumentation could be.
  6. newme

newme Well-Known Member

Limited area, yes think it would be fun. LOL Even though most players could easily run off my screen. I still would enjoy going there now and than. Not sure I'd want a dungeon, but perhaps a forested region with various monster spawns.
    No ethy either.

Westra
  7. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

At this shard I used to play here in Brazil they took Moonglow to make it RP only - if you were in Moonglow you had to act roleplaying, good writing, no mounts, etc. And then they put a public moongate in Cove to balance. Cove was very popular there. So I think it´s a good idea.
  8. Brun

Brun New Member

Personally, I like no mounts AT ALL, but this was something I got used to on Angel Island. I liked it, it kept fights close and more fair.

Off topic: No recall at all (yeah, I'm a Siege vet), but at least no recall/gate into/out of dungeons!

Didn't OSI have no dungeon gate/recall or was that just SP? I never played the regular production shards.
    Jittery Sauce and Brymstone like this.
  9. Plankton

Plankton Active Member

OSI let you recall/gate within dungeons.
  10. Brun

Brun New Member

Ok, so that was only Siege then.

IGNORE ME. =P
  11. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

BlackEye, good thought. I'd also love to see something like a Magery and Tame free dungeon. Nothing high level to farm but fun stuff to stab and kill with fighter chars.
    I'm not talking like huge areas or anything, just a custom dungeon or island or something that could add another bit of flavor here for folks who are into mount-free play.

This is not an era-accurate shard so that point is entirely moot. Perfection is entirely subjective.
    David Scraggs, One and Teut like this.
  12. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

This is a cool idea too. I could definitely envision some tactical dungeons like this. Part of an AMIB-type system, for example. Reminds me of Level 3 of Watcher's Keep in Baldur's Gate 2. Anyone? Anyone?
  13. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Never played the sequel and I'd honestly not like to see it as an AMIB style. No instances. :)
  14. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Not a bad idea, but it would be quite a ways down my personal list of wants.
    Gideon Jura likes this.
  15. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Yeah, I posted on the Dev board about a zone with no mounts for melee fighters and they would fight through a castle/dungeon area against enemy knights. No mounts helps with the cross heal to allow your team to fight through... I guess it could be set up like the Treasure Islands/Ancient MIBs.

http://uorforum.com/threads/evil-knights.2833/
  16. Laretheo

Laretheo Active Member

i could make something to this if you like with xml questing dunno if telamon would keep it permanent but yeah i'll start working on making a dungeon and region control it to no tames no horses no magery area. what about mobs do they have magery? or no?
  17. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

Before you start working, what's Telamons opinion about this?

The boss mobs could be choosen to be very difficult/impossible to kill solo. That would encourage team building and team tactics (cross healing, strategic agro pulling/peacing, no simple summons on bosses, prevent sleeper hold tactics, etc etc).

Or there are several paths with different mobs. Some for solo people with less rewards and some for teams and perhaps instanced? Can you implement limitations on the number of players in an instance?

AND most important IMO: The whole thing should stay in Felucca. This means PKing and thieving has to be possible with reasonable effort and shouldn't be prevented by mechanics or by the design.
    David Scraggs likes this.
  18. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

At first I didn't like the no mounts thing on Angel Island but I ended up liking it a lot. Also, the no recalling/gating into dungeons made it more risky for pk's since they had to trudge through the dungeons as well. That, coupled with player town stones where recalling in/out gating in/out could be turned off within that township's territory made for some awesome back and forth fights in certain choke points like the despise dungeon mountain pass.

I think player towns/areas that are recognized by the shard officially should be allowed to have areas where mounts aren't allowed. It makes sense for rp places like the orc fort, where it could say something like "Your mount is spooked by something and refuses to move any further", causing you to dismount and the mount refuses to allow you back on until you've moved away far enough.
    Last edited: May 9, 2015
  19. Laretheo

Laretheo Active Member

He's ok with things like xml spawner and such creating a dungeon that is permanent might be tricky possible a quest adventure more likely. Having a full blown dungeon like the size of say covetous with different layers isn't something I'll be able to just throw into action hopefully in a month or two I'll be finished with the quest I'm doing now with xavier and u can see what can be done with it.

And yes u can set limitations on a few things not for sure if player limitation is a go but u can make area dependent on an amount of people in the area. For instance quest me and friend are making u need atleast two people for it otherwise u will fail and the more people are in area the harder it will be to complete

If u want a walk thru of quest just shoot me a message on irc
  20. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Well-Known Member

One of my favorite games! I started replaying it as soon as I finished it, and played it at least a few more times after that.