Detect Hidden for the CY

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Red_Rover, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Red_Rover

Red_Rover Member

Here's the post! Discuss!

[19] <Red_Rover> i'd like to see Detect Hidden work in the CY too! :p
    [19] <~Telamon> Thats viable, if someone wants to post it in era discussion
    [19] <Red_Rover> as in..you use Detect Hidden in your house to reveal anyone, and if someone is hidden in your CY...they get revealed
  2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I agree but not %100. Part of me wants to play devil's advocate on behalf of thieves and house robbers. That should not be ban-enforced area, and as such safe for a would-be burgular to log out...if they made it that far.

So yeah, I suppose DH encompassing the area would be ok, as long as it didn't imply banning from the CY.

Also, if that DH were to get checked against the Hiding/Stealth skills of the target(s) like Tracking does now...but only in CY....bonus.
  3. Red_Rover

Red_Rover Member

My house has a footprint on the map...that is "my" land. Make it act like my land, just as if it was a villa that took up that amount of space.
  4. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

We all pay extra gold to get property that has a courtyard. I could get a tower and immediately detect anyone in my tower. I can have a large keep and do the same unless they are in my courtyard.

It shouldn't be a penalty having a courtyard. The CY should be treated like any other part of the house (with detect hidden). There is nowhere you can hide in other homes that detect hidden won't find you.

I am so paranoid with my CY but mistakes happen and you shouldn't be helpless if you detect hidden after that accidental gate.
  5. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Agreed!

Not only because you paid a little more, should you have a small piece of trammel in your house.
  6. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I'm with the above guys. The CY should function just like the rest of the house as its part of 'your land'. I would like Detect Hidden and even banning to work there. If people want to rob me, it should work just like any normal house where they need to stealth in or wait until I'm AFK. There shouldn't be a 'safe' zone for intruders on my property.

It's also rather disturbing to me that someone could have logged off in my CY eons ago without being punted to the outside when they log back in. When you place that keep/castle/fortress, you should start with a clean slate of security. Anything you screw up from there on out is on you, but you should be guaranteed a free slate to begin with.
  7. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

Seconded
  8. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Wait a second.

So you want a place, where you can recall into, which will be perfectly safe, and which, if you have 2 ounces of brain to use razor, can make your house impenetrable?

I don't agree. And not because I'd like to sneek into people's houses, but because it utterly, and perfectly reeks of Trammel. This would be TREMENDOUSLY abused.

Next you're gonna tell me you'd like your house to be considered Guard Zone, and a banker at each farming hot spot. Why not? It's basically the same thing.
  9. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

Not Sure if Sarcasm.

Think you're going to an extreme here with the bankers and such, no one is asking for that. Housing was designed to be somewhat of a safe spot. Robbers shouldn't have a safe haven in my house because I happen to have a CY. There is a silly way around this thats being used in CY's anyway so it's not much to ask to allow detect to work in the CY. You still have to be careful and mindful when entering your home, whether from CY or front door.

I'm all for thievery and house robbing, hell I don't think vendors should be allowed within a screen or two of guard zones. However, I don't think you should be penalized for having a CY. The penalty and the skill should always fall to the robber or thief.

Otherwise let's just all wooden box every tile in our CY's and delete this topic lol.
  10. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Think about it.

You're farming, you want to go bank, so you recall to the bank. For as safe as it may be, you are not invulnerable at the bank. If you recall into your safe CY, you ARE invulnerable.

- Oh, but I'd carry a CY rune, and if I die/get looted...
    - NOTHING HAPPENS! You can (a) have a DH/ban-bot running on another account, or (b) if you've been here 7 or so months collecting 30 plat from your 3 accounts, or farming like a fiend and buying plat, get a blessed runebook.

So, if you break it down, it's better than Guard Zone, without having to open a door. That's my main issue. You want safety? SURE!! A keep and a fortress have TONS of space inside where you can be safe.

Not to mention you can lure-gate people in, ban, and have something immediately outside to kill the person, and other nefarious things that I can't think about right now.
  11. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

It is seemingly a bit random, the ways in which a courtyard is considered in the "house zone" for some things but not others. Off the top of my head:

IT'S A HOUSE!
    • can't teleport in it
    • items don't decay in it

IT'S NOT A HOUSE!
    • can Mark and Recall into it
    • cannot ban in it
    • no detect hidden bonus in it
    • no hiding bonus in it
    • no logout rules (for friend and non-friend) in it

I do think any circumstances which lead to every courtyard owner filling their courtyards with wooden boxes is aesthetically terrible and a waste of time. The last thing I want is to spend a bunch of time fancying up my castle, only to have a screenshot of it (which could otherwise be used to help promote the shard) gummed up by a bunch boxes filling every available tile.

My .02... give full Detect Hidden bonuses to courtyards too, and enforce logout rules in them, and in return set the item decay back to normal non-house zone. Castle owners get a little, give a little, and hopefully the shard is better for it. But I don't really have a horse in this race, nor do I feel particularly strongly.
  12. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

A little. All along the wall you have 50-50 chance, plus the 2 sets of steps which are 100%.
  13. Dalavar

Neither of those have anything to do with the courtyard designation as house/non-house though. They are due to properties of house walls and house steps, not the courtyard.
  14. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

True, but you have more area to do it...in a place where items don't decay, and where, if the banning proposal comes through, you'd be 100% safe.
  15. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

What if I say as a compromise, I just want the 'clean slate' and not the ability to ban? :p

House security really comes down to two phases. You can be proactive (table walls, being safe with keys/runes), and you can be reactive (banning). My problem with CYs is you can't control them proactively or reactively. You have no power to do either, short of filling your CY with trash. If I can get that 'clean slate', then I can at least be proactive about protecting it.

As to luring people into PK traps, any time you step through a moongate that isn't yours, you take a risk. And you can set up moongate traps really anywhere in the world if that's what you're into - you don't need the ability to ban from CYs. Put a bunch of tables around the moongate destination and just dispel the gate as soon as someone walks through. (I remember doing this to a red that always used to recall into a spot behind my house on OSI. That was a satisfying kill).
  16. Aegis

Aegis Member

no thank you; keep as is. bye :)
  17. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Not sure what you mean by Clean Slate, but:

As for the gate killing, it's an example, and I agree it can be done anywhere...but at least from other places, you still need to open the door.
  18. Dalavar

This whole "100% safe" argument is faulty to begin with.

Every brick and 7x7 and log cabin already has the proposed 100% detect and ban in there right now, throughout the house, and people still get killed and looted in their house. I don't see how adding this detect and ban functionality to courtyards would make them any more or less safe than other housing types.

As it stands, people with "secure" courtyards (i.e. no runes in circulation) are already 100% safe, and people without "secure" courtyards are precisely as vulnerable as those with a large brick or a 7x7.
  19. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Except you cannot currently recall INTO a 7x7.
  20. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

This.

The real solution to any of this is quite simple. Use Tracking. Nothing else needs to be done, we all have 15 character slots. If you don't have at least one Tracker, you're doing it wrong. :)
    If you track someone in your CY, kill them. End.