Different Char Log In Problems ***(RESOLVED)***

Discussion in 'Server & Client Support' started by jence, Jan 8, 2014.

1. jence

jence New Member

Hey guys!

So I've been getting a new "error", or annoyance, for lack of a better word. I've never seen it happen and I can kind of remember a similar problem I used to have where I'd have to copy a certain file from one character's folder to another(C:\Program Files\Ultima Online\Desktop\Account\character etc). But I can't remember exactly why (it's been years!).

Any way, to my current problem. So every time I start UO, first time ever on a new character, I make it a point to maximize the screen, move the game play window up and left, even with the outside edge of the screen, get my health-bar, skills list, map and backpack all in a certain spot (kinda anal, I know). I then immediately log out via the "log out" option on the paperdoll. This has always, in the past at least, made sure everything was in the same spot when I logged back in, generally.

Now. This morning I got on a character on the second account I created (I performed this same initial task when I made it), only to have to maximize UO and move the play screen, move the skills list, etc again. Nothing was as it should have been. Now here's the kicker. Last night, after sitting in that "free resist house" for a while, I went back to Britain and logged out by the bank (via log out on the paperdoll) on all three of my characters. Before I did this I had also created a "new group" in the skills list where I put the seven skills I'm building for each character, on each character. Now some how, this morning, my tamer loaded with the "new group" set from my dexxer (different account) and, again, the skills list, screen, etc were fubarred.

And on a side note...when I go into the Ultima Online folder (C:program Files, etc), I only have one folder with account names (there should be three, as I have three accounts created). Someone suggested I use the "run as administrator" option, but the only place I can set that is on Razor, which I did. Now, I don't know if this has fixed it yet, as I have three characters in that resist house and frankly don't wanna lose the 8 hours I lost last night. And maybe it will fix it.

But I just thought I throw the problem out there, hope SOMEONE might understand it (it may have been confusing, I'm sorry) the problem, and perhaps offer some help to fix it. It's pretty annoying.

Thanks!

Ben
  2. jence

jence New Member

Re: Different Char Log In Problems

Oh yeah. To add, I remembered what I was talking about in the beginning of that post where I'd have to copy a file from one folder and paste it in another char's folder: it was to get the UO macros without having to remake every one (under "options" on the paperdoll).

So ignore that!
  3. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

(Be sure you run razor as admin, and if you are using windows 7+, don't install in the "program files" directory. Install it to something like C:/UO/whatever, otherwise read on)

I found that if you copy of chardata.mul from one char to another, it will log into them and save their things like they belong in a different account. This may be an issue. What I suggest you do is this:

Log into a character that things are working good for. Setup your UO macros, skills list, desktop (where spell icons are, etc), set up your UO options and everything, then simply log out of that character and log in to make sure that all saved at least for this one character.

Now navigate to that characters folder and copy these files and these files only:
    desktop.uos
    uo.cfg
    macros2d.txt
    skillgroup.mul
    (DO NOT COPY CHARDATA.MUL)

Now save these files to the desktop or something, do not try to copy-paste for the next step.

now, with all uo clients closed, copy desktop.uos and save it someplace else. Then rename the copy "desktop.nwb". Be sure you actually changed the extension (show extensions if you are using windows), and you didn't just rename it to desktop.nwb.uos.

Now go back to the UO dirrectory and delete your entire desktop folders for every account. Delete them all! (backup someplace first if you like).

Now drop the newly created desktop.nwb file, uo.cfg, macros2d.txt and skillgroup.mul into the base UO directory.

When you log in and select a character, the client will look for chardata.mul, but one won't exist so it will instead create a new one (this file tells info about that character, and what account its on etc..), then it will load the default loadout from the UO base directory. The new "default" files that you just put in there to overwite the default uo ones.

Every new character you make, will use this new "default" setting. So now that you have a base set for all characters, just adjust them if you want different characters to have some specific macros. From now on, when you create a newbie, or use a disguise kit, or log out while incognito or something, you will at least come back to the "default" loadout.
  4. jence

jence New Member

Whew. Thanks for the post!

I'll have to explore other avenues first, as that seems overly complicated and perhaps unnecessary. But if all else fails, I'll give it a shot.

Thanks again!

Ben
  5. Walisin

Walisin Member

In addition to snap dragon's point on chardata.mul files, I wanted to mention a similar problem could arise if you create two characters with identical names on the same server (even if they are on different accounts). It's quite possibly related to the same core issue of the client misidentifying a character and screwing things up from there.
    If the problem started after the creation of your latest character, and that fellow shares a name with one of the others, that's perhaps it. Solution is still to follow snap dragon's suggestions.. but if it keeps happening, you might have to consider renaming one of them.

Edit: Whops, didn't notice this was resolved already, despite the capitals. >.> Time for some coffee..