Disarm Thief

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Malus Blackstaff, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Malus Blackstaff

Malus Blackstaff New Member

Anyone have a good disarm thief template?
  2. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Unfortunately one of the least flexible templates out there:

Magery
    Stealing
    Snooping
    Wrestling
    Arms Lore
    Hiding
    Stealth

You really only have flexibility on the last two; can swap for Meditation and Eval or Resist if you want to take a more combat oriented approach.

You can't remove Snooping; even if you disarm something that's set to Last Target, you can't steal it without the pack open.
  3. bart simpson

bart simpson Well-Known Member

Dalavar is wrong!!!! You can absolutely steal weapons with a disarm thief without snooping. It is more difficult sure, but snooping is not necessary! As far as templates go Magery Medittion Stealing Snooping Wrestling Arms Lore Hiding is mine.
  4. Dalavar

How? Just hammer Last Object until you hit the 1/20 chance to open their pack?
  5. bart simpson

bart simpson Well-Known Member

No. If you set your hotkeys using uo instead of razor you avoid the error message. If you insist on having snooping you can get away with 10 or so. SneakyT would set players packs to his use once agent I think and was remarkably successful. (I am not 100% sure that is what he did) He robbed Jento blind in a 1v1 a while back... there is video of it somewhere. Anyway, snooping is not necessary for a disarm thief.
  6. Var

Var Active Member

If your TRUE disarm thief, snoop is not necessary, just last target. Dont be a va jay jay with hiding pickup resist and clomp them if they think of trying to take their items back by attacking you....

Mage
    Med
    Eval
    Resist
    Wrestle
    Arms
    Steal
    Ghosted and skratt like this.
  7. Dalavar

Interesting! I don't like the client Last Target because you can't queue it.

If you remove Snooping, I'd go with Var's template.
  8. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I usually use

stealing
    snooping
    wrestling
    anatomy
    healing
    hiding
    armslore

fun run away template and healing lets you heal while running and combined with hiding it works pretty well since mages pause to cast and dexers should be getting their weps stolen

also you can stun punch to get away

this is a really weak template, but disarm isn't my favorite here due to fails on disarm combined with fails on stealing and when most folks are mages and you can get folks to disarm in other ways.
    Imbol likes this.
  9. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

and if you want to just kill people and take their stuff, why bother with stealing, the true mark of a thief is taking your ops stuff while leaving them alive to stew in penniless rage.
    Imbol and Halabinder like this.
  10. Malus Blackstaff

Malus Blackstaff New Member

Actually I was asking because I have an idea for a Shaolin Monk toon, disarming and taking someone's weapon away is something a monk might do :)
    Halabinder and Jack of Shadows like this.
  11. Petrus

Petrus Member

I've been working on a variant of this. After reading this thread there's no real one template to always go with.

It's not a fighting character usually, and if you can't use gates or recall while grey, magery loses its appeal (other than enough to use recall scrolls). If you don't take magery, you don't need eval int or meditation. You could though, if you really wanted a disarming, mage .. thief .. but, you'd be spread too thin.

I'm currently working on what I'd call an "out of town" thief. Most of your steals can be on monsters and NPC's (yeah I know, robbing monsters is kind of lame for those who end up killing it, but if you're playing a thief this really shouldn't matter), so snooping isn't needed. If you're disarming, snooping still isn't needed, and if you run this template you'd just have to accept the fact that you can't run someone's bags without them noticing unless their AFK or you're incredibly lucky. Sometimes them noticing doesn't stop you anyways.

I personally like magic resist and healing on the char. That way you can stay alive reasonably well and it adds a toughness or longevity when you're going through dungeons etc. Also helps you get away from character trying to kill you a little better.

It's not the strongest template by any means and is really just my preferred jack of all trades rogue character. Fun to play outside of town. You don't need any real equipment except for bandaids, a recall rune, and some recall scrolls. And that's if you can acquire any of that; you could feasibly set off with absolutely nothing on foot, although bandaids shouldn't be hard to get.

If you die, you lose nothing. If you live, you gain everything! lol j/k. I know the spread of skills probably isn't popular but this is for a stealthing, healing, disarm "survival" thief. You'll fail hiding sometimes, and stealth will be somewhat limited but totally usable. Your disarm wont be perfect, but will work more often than not.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  12. Mordechai

Mordechai Active Member

Wow, old thread but it's about a super interesting topic.

I had a disarm thief back on Siege Perilous at one point. It's one of those things that's truly a niche template now....when people were playing Renaissance back on OSI your average player didn't have the knowledge of how game mechanics worked that they do now.

If anyone out there wants to give the disarm thief template a try, I would suggest making two or three of them and experimenting with each of them for completely different purposes. I don't know if stealing works in Capture the Flag, but it might be interesting to brainstorm some ideas (if it does) since there are so many dexers roaming around in that.

...just keep in mind that there are some super easy ways to counter / shut down a PvP disarm thief. Once people know that you're a thief you'll be at a serious disadvantage since thieves are sort of easy for a dedicated PvP template to steamroll anyway - they can just lock their goods in boxes / chests, or separate bandages/reagents/potions into multiple piles, or carry multiple weapons of a lower grade, etc.
  13. Mordechai

Mordechai Active Member

You need to have a minimum of 36 magery not to fail with a recall scroll. And 65 stealth in order not to fail a check if you're naked (though that number might be different here).
  14. Petrus

Petrus Member

Yeah, I was close though :D.

The failing of recall I wouldn't be too worried about as long as you can reasonably get it off; if you die trying to get it off, it's not like you just lost a bunch of nice equipment + regs.

And the stealth was an approximation. Any extra points would have to be taken from healing. You could cut healing down to the bare minimum needed to cure poison, and then dump the extra points into stealth and/or magery, which would fix the issues.

100 resist
    100 stealing
    100 wrestling
    100 arms lore
    80 hiding
    61 anatomy
    61 healing
    65 stealth
    33 magery
  15. Petrus

Petrus Member

QUESTION:

If you're in the thieves guild, you can't damage another player because they can theoretically give you a murder count if/when they die correct?

This might sound newb but, on this server, if you have 0% tactics, will you do any damage with your punches?

If not, can't you just last target the weapon in their hand and attack them? Like strong arming them for their #? Lol
  16. Tuco

Tuco Well-Known Member

Disarm is fun!

I've pretty much got the first template listed in this thread, except only about 80 some magery and the rest med. I can't imagine running around without magery (except on a rp dexxer or something)

My old school technique of setting last target by 2x clicking a dagger and targetting the weapon doesn't seem to work here. I've been planning on testing out the "set last target" macro in razor and trying that way, but keep getting distracted by silly things like freesist and buying regs to macro my pvp mage(s).
  17. Random

Random Well-Known Member

It work, but you have to use Last Target hotkey from game Paperdoll > Macros.

Razor one will give you an error msg unless you have the backpack opened (the one weapon will fall into if disarmed)

BlackEye, Halabinder and Dimas like this.
  18. Tuco

Tuco Well-Known Member

<3 <3 <3
  19. twinturbonet

twinturbonet New Member

So wait, if you don't have snooping, how do you target the weapon? Or better yet, how do even know what's in the person's bag?

My bad if this question is silly, but I've never had a thief build before. lol
  20. Tuco

Tuco Well-Known Member

You need snooping, otherwise you're doing a random steal and there's a server dice roll to determine which of the items in the outer pack you're trying to steal, which will likely include unstealable items.
    twinturbonet likes this.