Discussion about "heat of battle" changes

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Woody III, May 29, 2016.

1. Woody III

Woody III Active Member
    UO:R Donor

IMO the "heat of battle" system needs to be reworked. I've been on this server for about 2 months now and already pvp is becoming more annoying than fun. I have came across multiple scenarios that seem to hurt the pvp scene on this server and they are mostly tied to the heat of battle system. Murderers and enemies alike recall either at the first sight battle or in the middle of battle, just to return with a gank squad. If you're a willing participant ( i.e. warring guild, o/c, factions, or a murderer), why should be you able to recall out of a fight after being attacked?

If this server is supposed to be more about history perfected than era correct, I propose that we should make pvp more fun! Murderers and enemies should have to wait out a 2 minute "Wouldst thou flee during the heat of battle" message before being able to recall, unless the people they are engaged with fighting are killed. This should also apply to innocents when they attack a murderer or criminal.
  2. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

this has been brought up before, and I'm still all for it but it won't happen
  3. Woody III

Woody III Active Member

I couldn't find any previous posts, what happened when it was last brought up? Why wouldn't they implement something like this?
  4. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

Black Tortoise likes this.
  5. Keystone

Keystone Well-Known Member

I support this... Also Woody is a scholar and a Gentleman in the field and will battle against odds.... so +2 Points for that.
    The Watch likes this.
  6. Woody III

Woody III Active Member

Thanks for the kind words Keystone! I think the staff would implement the changes if enough players supported the idea.
  7. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    Keystone likes this.
  8. Woody III

Woody III Active Member

Exactly, thanks for making it much easier to understand!
    One likes this.
  9. Keystone

I feel as if this were to happen more people would be in the field PVP'ing which would result in less people out PK'in Tamers and Bards. Much like myself I enjoy UO for all aspects but the PVP is what brings me back every time. So sure I PK alot of people who are just trying to farm a little gold..... but if Factions or Order/Chaos were a more active scene I would much rather do that.... and I would assume lots of others would also
    One likes this.
  10. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Gonna go out on a limb here and say that there's practically no chance at all that you'll get forced flagging on anyone. While I am in support of some recall restrictions (aggressors, thieves), there's no way you're going to get HoB flagging on people that YOU attack. This has come up several times in prior discourse.

If you can get flagged for being attacked, it will absolutely be abused.

The only time a combatant should be flagged is when they engage their aggressors, instead of fleeing from an obviously lopsided battle, or potential trap.

The only real problem I see with the system at hand is in Factions when sigil thieves can run through gates because they never engaged when they were attacked. I think a workable solution to this would be better routes for sigil running that involve teleporters to island locations so moongates can be blocked from sigil carriers. I've heard it wasn't like this on OSI but I think the moongate menus here make it silly for those long chases. Aggressors can't follow them and even if they could, they'd have to be lucky to get the right town on the other side.
    blasfede and PaddyOBrien like this.
  11. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

I still think being able to be a coward, tuck tail, and run for the hills is infinitely more realistic.
  12. Keystone

Well if you are just a good ole Blue Character trying to hunt or pedal your wares..... sure you should be able to recall if someone comes at ya. But if you are Orange or Red or Crim..... you should get HOB..... and if you don't like that you should not be Orange, Red, or Crim.
    Kane and Woody III like this.
  13. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Let me paint an example for you:

Orange character with literally nothing on them, looping a macro in a hot location to auto attack other oranges. This will take ghosting to a whole new level wherein zergs know exactly when to recall in because their flag-bot just locked someone into HoB restrictions with 0 risk or even attendance at the keys.

Scenario two; your faction crafter is in town with their runic hammer and a crew to support them. Enemies come in and immediately aggro the crafter knowing full well it will screw them. Hell, we could pretty much just camp tailors and blacksmiths with the aforementioned macro and net a fair amount of BoDs too, I'd wager.

Sorry so many folks have trouble thinking this through. Opting into consensual combat systems should not remove your ability to CHOOSE fight or flight.

Factions are already practically on a deathbed. This would ensure it becomes a corpse.
    Canis and blasfede like this.
  14. Lightshade

If every fight was a fair, agreed upon, gentlemans duel....I would agree.

Unfortunately, HoB is just used to gank people for the lawls and it needs to go the way of the Dodo.
  15. Keystone

No problem thinking this through... just saying what hurts PVP more.... a factions crafter getting his hammer stolen which is probably a percent of a percent right now.... or a bot character that is stationary and can trigger a no recall...... which is probably a small percent....... or every time a fight starts someone recalls out to avoid a bad situation.... which probably happens all time....... Maybe just maybe your thinking is the problem........ and the choice to fight or flight is decided when you turn red, turn crim, or join anything that makes you turn orange..... that's the only choice you need to make...
  16. Keystone

Ganks and lawls are just part of the game
  17. Woody III

Woody III Active Member

I dont't agree and here's why.

You still have the option to run away, you are not stunned in place until a gank shows up. Run, hide, or invis for two minutes then recall.

I thought this game is risk vs reward. If you're risking going into a faction town on a crafter, you should not be able to recall out if you're attacked. Where is the risk in that? Showing up with a support group is already reducing your risk significantly.

Why be involved in a consensual combat system if you don't want to fight? You have the ability to play 15 different characters, if you don't want to fight log into a character that wouldn't be required to fight if flagged.

I love factions, but with the server population this low factions is already dead and basically pointless.
    Mes and Keystone like this.
  18. Lightshade

I think everyone should be able to run away at any time and for any reason, regardless of the cicumstances.

The hardcore pvpers just run gate bots.

Just get rid of HoB entirely. Its a garbage and unrealistic mechanic that is HORRIBLY abused.

I get sick and tired of mechanics that remove the freedom of choice. If someone chooses to be a coward and run for the hills, let them be known as the coward that runs for the hills.
  19. Woody III

Woody III Active Member

I agree everyone should be able to RUN away at any time for any reason.

And a response to your previous post.

We already have duel arenas in place if you want to duel.

Ganking people is apart of the game and yes sometimes you will die if you encounter a gank. Recalling is not the only way to get away from a gank.

I really thought this would be a slam dunk propsal and wouldn't get much opposition from real pvpers. Apparently the issue is noone wants to die in this video game, everyone wants to live and kill others. Their pixels or pride is worth more than dieing.

I fight against odds almost everytime I play and I have no problem dieing, but I make you earn it. Even after being killed, res killed, and having my horses killed I still push for not being able to recall from battle because it's what real pvpers want!
  20. Lightshade

Your error is in that you want to force everyone into the same mold as you think best. That is simply NOT what UO is about.

HoB should be removed altogether as it simply limits the variety of choices available to players in this game and forces a one size fits all approach.

We should be trying to increase the choices available to players whenever possible, not limiting them.
    blasfede likes this.