Disruption of monster spells.

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Horatio, May 25, 2015.

1. Horatio

Horatio Active Member

For some reason I don't seem to disrupt monster spells, liches in particular seem immune to disruptions and are free to spam spells.

I distinctly remember on OSI being able to equip a fast weapon and keep them spell locked.

Is this a change for only this server?
  2. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

I dont know about spell disruption being locked but, I have noticed the same thing. My macer doesn't disrupt casters at all, my fencer with paralyzing blow works much better vs. caster. A character with poisoning or tames that poison also work quite well by forcing casters to chain cure themselves.
  3. Erza Scarlet

Erza Scarlet Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

You cant knock them off from Spell casting, but para blows from spears works very nice.

I think the short spear should be the best choice to farm Liches in terms of DPS and the amount of para blows. If you get a decent one in silver its pretty much easy going.
  4. Horatio

Horatio Active Member

Aye, I remember seeing the fizzle animation on osi when disrupting a liches casting.

I use a vanq axe on my lumber jack so 2-3 shot them but it still annoys me when they can get an explosion fs combo off while being wailed on with 90+ resist and 100 dex.
  5. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

That was just the lich fizzling a spell, all monsters spawn with a varied "range" of skills, and make the appropriate dice rolls when trying to cast a spell. You never disrupted their casting.
    Isabel likes this.
  6. Isabel

Isabel Active Member

Per usual, Matron is correct

The way the mage AI is currently setup, the only creatures which are susceptible to being interrupted while casting a spell just as a player is, are those which follow the same spell casting processes that players do when casting & do not use the default AI logic that most spellcasters use to determine how they cast, fight, etc

Specifically - only creatures which cast spells & also display the words of power can be interrupted while casting & have their spell "blocked" so to speak, via disruption (wandering healers for example, are subject to disruption if damage is taken while casting - this is the only one i can think of right now by memory that's actually vulnerable to this, but im sure there are others im likely forgetting)

(Last I checked & had messed with it myself the above info was correct, that was quite some time ago tho so this may not be entirely accurate nowadays)
  7. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

Red mages in the Mage towers in shame and fire dungeon and the ones at ice fiend spawn.
  8. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Interesting on production that they actually had a fizzle animation. That would dispel some notions on this shard about wyrms casting "faster" than dragons. Would be hilarious if this could be patched in along with a grumpy monster sound... I'd love to hear a lich get pissed at himself for fizzling a flamestrike.
  9. Horatio

Horatio Active Member

That is pretty lame IMO, monsters should fizzle if you hit them while mid cast.
  10. Isabel

Isabel Active Member

If im not mistaken creatures can (& frequently do) fail to cast spells, it just goes unnoticed & isn't something that a player would be able to pick up on since the AI won't trigger neither the spell fizzle animation nor the sound fx in the event of failed spell cast - they just cycle back thru the mage_AI process & on to the next spell it chooses to cast next as if nothing ever happened (I don't think the AI ever checks for actual skill values & whether or not it can succeed to cast, it just tries anyways with whatever skill in magery it has regardless)
  11. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Exactly - that is my understanding as well.

So if a spellcasting monster casts every 5 seconds, you will see spells from a 99 Magery white wyrm more frequently than a 50 magery dragon, since the dragon is trying to cast flamestrikes and energy bolts sometimes, which looks to players like deciding not to cast a spell for some time since there's no fizzle animation, etc.

So people think that dragons cast spells less frequently than white wyrms. However, if both are trained to 100 Magery, they cast spells precisely equally in terms of rate and success.
    Isabel likes this.
  12. Yen-lo-Wang

Yen-lo-Wang Member

I just assumed that MOB's spell couldn't be disrupted at all.