Double-stacked footstools impervious to mobs

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Blaise, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I am of the opinion that double-stacking footstools to make them impervious to mobs, should be corrected.
    Not only does it make taming (WWs in particular) much easier, but it is illogical in its very function.
    At most, it should take two melee hits from any mob to destroy two stools. How one on top of the other makes them an invisible barrier that doesn't impede LoS makes no logical sense at all (save the 'its a fantasy argument' for someone else).

There are various ways this can be abused and it is already making the most OP PvM class easier. The most OP should be the most challenging and tedious to build and maintain, in my opinion.

Please share your opinions and experience with portable walls that cannot be broken by the most powerful mobs in the game.
  2. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

I agree, this needs to be corrected
  3. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

*snore* more important things to worry about.
  4. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

I am with HC, but only because I am still working on my tamer. Once I am done, definitely fix!

There are much more far reaching consequences than just easier taming gains!
  5. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

However much I appreciate your ability to state the glaringly obvious, do you have an opinion one way or the other if and when 'more important' things are already handled?
  6. CleverWalrus

CleverWalrus New Member

Well, i'm mostly a tamer and i'm not yet at 100 (97.something now) but i agree that stools make taming some creatures a lot, lot easier so even if it goes against me i agree, they should not stop monsters.
  7. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  8. Zagyg

Zagyg Active Member

I've never played UO on either live or a free server where there wasn't something that could be used to block monsters (outside of a house). It has never bothered me and I've never seen it as a wrong that needed to be righted. That's subjective, I know. Factually speaking though, aren't hell hounds and WW the only things that anyone uses them to tame? HH for training and WW for endgame? How much of a mess/imbalance/difference can that really be making?

If this were changed so that people had to run around like nuts trying to isolate single hell hounds to tame while also worrying about PKs/griefers, I bet it would definitely cut down the number of aspiring GM tamers. But I have to ask - if the goal of this suggestion is to make taming a much more difficult skill to master, and that's a desirable goal for the server, then why wasn't this brought up a long time ago?
  9. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  10. Aegis

Aegis Member

on the one hand, it doesn't bother me; i've used it extensively to train 2 GM tamers and tame WW/mares.
    on the other hand, i think this is completely silly and having it go away would just make sense.

It will not change much vs training tamers; there are still other tricks in the book to AFK train GM tamers without foot stools; maybe not as easy, but wouldn't change much really.
    it would make taming WWs & mares much harder; there's a trick for dragons so won't change their availability.

if this were to be fixed, I would suggest a few small things to go along:
    - fix peacemaking so that when angering a mob because of trying to tame it does not break the peacemaking effect right away; it makes peacetaming impossible... I do think it was the way tame big mobs on OSI back in the day; anyone able to confirm?
    - when a mob teleports, let it teleport on the same tile the player is; this will prevent any other "blocking" trick (at least for mobs with magic abilities)
  11. Tater Salad

Tater Salad Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

Negative, besides the fact that mobs shouldn't even teleport.

This thread is pointless because you can just use hidden chars in place of stools. Although valiant effort at trying to make every aspect of this game annoying.
  12. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

At least then it would match a small percentage of the players.

Regarding the hidden characters, as was mentioned in the IRC discussion on the topic, giving mobs the ability to step through hidden characters like any other player would, could alleviate that issue. I agree that hidden character blocking is as illogical as double-stool blocking.

Peace Taming makes the most sense and I would gladly employ another player to bard down wyrms when I go taming. (I have no peacemaker and haven't really planned on making one).

Mobs should teleport because quite frankly, historically, mobs have been a lackluster challenge once mastered. The increased AI on this shard keeps PvM entertaining to say the least. Seeing mobs healing and teleporting is irritating at times but I can't remember a game I've loved that didn't do that in the more challenging portions. I understand some people like easy street in gaming and I generally am not one of them. I take my leisures here and there but in general, the more challenging the better.
  13. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

If i'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure creatures already have the ability to push through hidden mobiles, however they need to have full stamina just as players do to be able to do so. The reason this usually never happens is because when they are blocked, they continuously attempt to pathfind to the target which causes them to loop back & forth, which reduces their stamina (creatures are subject to stamina depletion as well)

That's my initial assessment at least, I don't know for sure if they actually can push though.
  14. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

That makes sense. I think the only time I really notice my tames push through is when I 'all stop' them. They start to wander and occasionally will step through each other or me.
  15. Zagyg

Zagyg Active Member

It happens just like you said, Ezekiel. I had two polar bears named a and b following me a few days ago down a one-square path and I stopped; the one farthest back started turning from side to side trying to find his way to me. It kinda looked like he was dancing so i recorded it for half a minute because it was pretty funny. Then I said 'get it a' and he suddenly pushed through the other bear.
  16. qbradq

qbradq Member

On peacetaming, for some reason I thought peacemaking auto-failed the taming attempt as of publish 16. After researching the patch notes I find that's not the case. You auto-fail only for these reasons:

1. LoS is broken
    2. Creature cannot pathfind to you
    3. You hide or have invis cast on you

So get out those Dragon Slayer instruments kids! :D
  17. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Challenge increased! YAY!
    PS: I need help taming wyrms! :)
  18. Lord Daemon

Lord Daemon New Member

On retail servers, after the major bug fixes, being invisible would only break the tame attempt, at the intervals. Each time your characters says "I'll take good care of you." blah blah blah. I have played tamers on retail servers since it was introduced, and currently the auto break occurs when:
    the creature hits you
    the creature takes damage
    LOS or clear path is broken
    distance is too great

Peaced mobs do not, or at least as of '04, become unpeaced from a tame attempt. I haven't used a peace/tamer since then.

The footstool trick, IMHO, should be addressed as it can be used for more than just making taming easier.
  19. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

The stool trick was fixed sometime in march after it was brought to our attention.
  20. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

I admit my reasons for agreeing with this are purely nerdy.

Imagine a conversation that goes like this

Me: "yeah, I play uo. I defend the realm from evil creatures that threaten to destroy the fabric of existence."

Completely interested person: "oh that sounds interesting. How do you defeat such incredibly strong and ferocious things?"

Me: "I put two stools in front of them"