Dragon/Nightmare max stats and best companions for a tamer

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Drave, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Drave

Drave Active Member

Hi UOR,

today I finally obtained an extra slot for bond pet. At the moment I only had a Nightmare. Now it's time to add a second pet to my group. I've seen tamers with 1 nightmare/2 dragons or 1 dragon and 1 whyte withe wyrm and in some cases some people discuss about 4 Nightmare.

Which one is fine? and... what's the difference between Dragon and White wyrm?

At the moment I have a nightmare with 525 Str/100 Dex/100 Int. I think is fine.

I found this information in the UOR page. Could you confirm those are the stats values?

Thanks in advance.

Dragon
    Strength
    796 - 825
    Dexterity
    86 - 105
    Intelligence
    436 - 475
    White wyrm
    Strength
    721 - 760
    Dexterity
    101 - 130
    Intelligence
    386 - 425
    NIghtmare
    Strength
    496 - 525
    Dexterity
    86 - 105
    Intelligence
    86 - 125
    Everlast likes this.
  2. Erza Scarlet

Erza Scarlet Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Dragons do best for allround tasks - you can pretty much use them in any situation if they are trained properly.

I would recommend starting out with them and eventually add other Beasts when you can afford the slots.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    Xavant_BR and r3ckon3r like this.
  3. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Fixed that for you. Dragons are more than enough to bank roll you and allow you to spend on any number of bondslots for other beasts.
    Erza Scarlet likes this.
  4. UrinalCake

UrinalCake Well-Known Member

White wyrm is harder to control, doesn’t cast fire breath, but higher dex and they start out with higher magery so you don’t have to train them as much.

Dragons have fire breath, so good burst damage and high hitpoints. They need to be trained a bit before you see them cast flamestrike.
  5. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

1 mare with 2 dragons is my preferred set up. I make sure my pets are trained up though so I can get them nice firebreath and whatever else combos.

White wyrms are supposedly faster at catching up to prey, but I don't think that's necessarily a good thing. A decent pk might have an easier time separating them from their master that way.

Dragons firebreath combos are less predictable for them which has helped me when I decide to stay and stand my ground.

Those min-max stat values look accurate. Mares, drags, and wyrms have the ability to train Dex up to 100 tho as long as is under 100. Anything more than that will be fixed.

Example: 86 Dex can be trained up to 100 eventually . But stock 102 dex will remain at 102 no matter how much training.
    NCCML and r3ckon3r like this.
  6. Mykos

Mykos Well-Known Member

Two of my tamers use mare and 2 dragon setup and rarely have any issues with just about anything I want to do. I would agree that you will want to train your dragon for a better pet experience, but even an untrained dragon is fun to take on the field. Even if you have one bonded "keeper" dragon and one unbonded "lesser" dragon that you dont care about loosing, you will be in good shape to earn some gold and have some fun.

I have been slow training another tamer and have been considering the mare pack, just to see the difference for myself. I still have a hard time thinking of having a tamer and not having a majestic dragon fighting for me though, so we will see.
  7. Drave

Drave Active Member

Thanks everybody for the answers. I'll start tomorrow taming a Dragon for my new bond slot and training him after.
  8. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Don’t tame one!! Tame 20 and bond the best one of the lot. My suggestion would be to farm with untrained, unremarkable, disposable dragons until you find one worh bonding, and THEN bond it.
    Orion GM BD, Holden and Mykos like this.
  9. Mykos

Mykos Well-Known Member

You can also check several of the forum auctions and buy one if you wanted to go that route, but there really is nothing like taming your own bond worthy dragon, atleast once.
  10. Drave

Drave Active Member

I'll try but I'm getting some problems taming Dragons alone. I'm doing a tip which was explained here using a spot in destard. Any other suggestion about places or tips to tame the dragons?

As you said, for the moment I prefer tame dragons by myself instead of buy them.

Thanks in advance.
  11. Drave

Drave Active Member

I've read in some Dragon sell post another stat wich is HP.

This means HP here has nothing to do with STR? is a different stat? It seems max is 825 too. And for Nightmares?

Thanks in advance.
  12. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

HP is what determines firebreath damage. You want >820 HP.

Also, try to tame in Wind. It is my place of choice.
    Mykos likes this.
  13. Xavant_BR

Xavant_BR Well-Known Member

You can own a house in fire island... or close to another dragon spot... and them you can ban the dragon and heal/tame from inside the house.. according the model of the house you can also block the entrance with some locked object...
    but, if you need some dragon with max hp and good dext/int, i can sell you some for a cheap price... just pm me.
  14. Milky Milkerson

Milky Milkerson Active Member

You don't need to use safe spots or a fire island house or anything. Use your mare to beat the dragon down to very low life, then get on the mare and cast para wall to trap the dragon. Then while you're taming, cast the next para wall and keep a line of those going while you tame. I've tamed hundreds of things with this method and it works just fine.

Mare and 2 dragons is standard and best for starting out since it only takes 3 bond slots. Once you get more slots, 4 mares is the best for DPS and harder for pks to get you. The only thing a mare pack isnt so good for is very strong things like bosses since they don't have as many hits and so they don't tank as well. But even then, if you have your heals going you should be fine.

As others said, in all cases train up your pets' magery to at least the mid 90s to get maximum impact.
  15. Drave

Drave Active Member

Thanks very much for your answers. Yesterday I tamed 3 Dragons (all junk, but I can use them for farming), but I'm going to try today with the Para field method.

A silly question, how do you go out from Wind with a Dragon? I tried some months ago with another pet and I was unable to cast Gate Travel.
  16. Milky Milkerson

Milky Milkerson Active Member

There is a room to the west with one lich that has a portal in the middle that takes you to the outside. You have to walk the dragon over there. You can't gate in Wind.
    Drave likes this.
  17. Drave

Drave Active Member

Thanks everybody, special mention to @Shiloh who spent some time "in situ" explaining some tricks in Wind for taming Dragons.

I only miss don't have more free time for playing UO, nice community here. Maybe, I'll start join some community events/clans and not go alone as always.
  18. Earsnot

Earsnot Well-Known Member

Do it! Get involved, its a lot of fun. You could always hit up P*S which is a really established guild that helps out newer players. If you're playing a tamer try contacting the awesome dudes in TnT as well. Both really good groups of friendly and active players who will be able to help you get a firmer grip of this place and get you trucking.
    RiffRaff- and Drave like this.
  19. Drave

Drave Active Member

Following all your suggestions and tips for Taming dragons, finally I think I have two nice Dragons to be bonded. (And also both red :) )

What do you think about their stats? For now, they are in the stable and I'm using some other junk dragons for hunt. I'm waiting for a quest for Bond slot. If you know somebody who organize one soon, please pm me!

The one with DEX at 86, as you commented I can raise to 100.

About Firebreath, they need some minimum in Magery? I don't see my dragons throw Fire breathing!

Dragon1.JPG Dragon2.JPG
  20. Mykos

Mykos Well-Known Member

Those are decent dragons, Strength may be considered low. Generally, you would like to have hits and strength 820+, but yous tart getting into the minutia of details. The higher hits give you the fire breath damage potential. They do not need magery for fire breath. Its just a random roll for it to breathe it.