Durability of Instruments

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Wodan, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Oiii,

This has been around for ages and I would really like to see this fixed soon.

Currently, there is no way to see how many uses an instrument has left. You can't even Arms Lore on it !

This sucks a lot for many reasons. When out with my Peace Dexxer, I never know when my instrument breaks and I get owned by angry monsters.
    When buying slayer instruments, you never know if they are brand new or only have 2 uses left.

This can't be such a big deal, please try to fix this asap. I know there's some other people who really support this, please post your support in this thread !
    Keza, Vlar, Beethoven and 1 other person like this.
  2. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Also pickaxes (normal, sturdy, and gargoyle) do not show durability remaining, though shovels do.
    Beethoven likes this.
  3. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Support! Repond instruments are worth a nice little chunk of change and you never know if you're getting a new one or a pile of junk.
  4. Anarchy

Anarchy Active Member

Arms Lore with GM Musicianship could give a hint. Vote for patch it - well, why not? But please never ever count it in absolut numbers of "charges"! This would take a lot of uor-feeling
  5. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

Um carry a back up? GM tambourine is like 1 stone.
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I always try to pack at least two GM instruments, and one newbie. Then there's slayers.

Can't you fort powder them?
  7. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member

Since they don't qualify as weapon or armor and thus can't be arms-lored, I don't think you can use fort powder on instruments.

Problem with backup instruments is the same. Even with two instruments you could be walking around with 2 charges left total.

Once you die, they will get mixed up and there's no way to tell which one was brand new and which one is almost broken.

Basically, you'd have to craft new instruments for each tour to make sure you're having plenty of charges left ...
  8. marine1217

marine1217 Member

I support this. The Positives outcome from this I don't not even need too argue or say.
  9. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

I am not against durability checks on instruments, one should be able to inspect an instrument and determine its condition.

I'm not sure how I feel about a 'uses' count because it would take a way a bit of 'magic' but even without arms lore it would be nice to click on an instrument and get a durability description (this item is like new, this item is somewhat worn, this item is about to break) something along those lines.
  10. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I like the idea of being able to check them for durability and Wodan, I keep my instruments in a sub-container. They are always in the same place when I die and loot.
  11. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member

put random slayers in dungeon/tchests! (replace all scrolls with slayers plz)
  12. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

While the latter may be utterly ridiculous, the former is actually something that I believe is intended for a future patch. :)
  13. Jack of Shadows

the loot is kinda bleh, it always has been, but little tweaks (random bods, instruments, ingots or marble or sandstone, etc..) to replace looting billions of boring scrolls useless clothing and jewelry (even plat on lower chests would be nice even if the odds were like 1/500) but it just occurred to me the instrument system here has a lot of potential. One a note, one thing I like is having the greater potions, bolts, and arrows in the chests. Those have a tendency to add up and can be used to train other chars. (One related prof is it's supplies to make tinker traps to raise disarming traps. So I think that's a neat little aspect of it.) And I support instrument durability being displayed and with repair if possible (hell, make runic instruments part of a bard quest system)
  14. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I would like to see better variety in the dungeon chest and treasure map chest loot for sure. Having random piles of other resources wouldn't be bad either, like Jack said, but honestly nothing that should come remotely close to what you could get if you spent the same amount of time getting those resources through normal means. Some potions and perhaps ingots and bolts/arrows, but not really feeling the stone ingot thought because they are hard to come by normally, not easy like other resources. That's a nice market system for players right now to go out and mine with garg picks and make those ingots to flip or use. I wouldn't want to cut into that and I don't even get involved really, I just go out on occasion and do it.

Also agree on drastically rare platinum chances for lower level chests, as well as masks.
    Jack of Shadows likes this.
  15. Jack of Shadows

Teleport and Invis rings!!! I have a tendency to think that you numbers guys take the fun out of everything sometimes. Grandmaster should - awesome at it PERIOD. (with a big tampax) And it occured to me lol, that it's Treasure hunting but it's more like dumpster diving. Random deco rares, dress items, any number of things can be done with them. Who ever thinks it's good to put a chest in the middle of a dungeon and trap it next to balrons, dragons, liches, and whatnot and fill it with trash has a problem. Serious UO hoarder. Or to trap a tchest and draw a map to it and have it spawn all of that crazy stuff just to fill it with stuff I wouldn't leave beside a dumpster in Yew for the GM beggars to sell is silly.

Plus it's another super fun part of the rogue set that could make the class even better here (I'm tying this in with the Bard cause in literature it's been frequently associated with the rogue as well.)

I hope that made sense, I've been outside bowling

And I'm picturing Ransom Random in some type of dashing Indiana Jones type gear. (you pirate types can stay in San Fran) (I need to make a tmap section of the library and get a whip for that sucker)
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  16. Jack of Shadows

garg pickaxes instead of might pickaxes would be cool :p
  17. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

This is scheduled to be implemented with patch 53.

Instruments
    • Developed a new system of handling the single click descriptions of instruments to be more true to the T2A/early UOR era.
    • The uses remaining on each instrument will be represented in the following manner.
      • a new instrument will have between 350-450 uses remaining
      • a slightly worn instrument will have between 271-349 uses remaining
      • a somewhat worn instrument will have between 191-270 uses remaining
      • a fairly worn instrument will have between 111-190 uses remaining
      • a greatly worn instrument will have between 31-110 uses remaining
      • a nearly broken instrument will have between 1-30 uses remaining
      • Should the instrument be exceptional it will have twice as many uses. Ergo a nearly broken exceptional instrument could have 1-60 uses remaining.
    • Should the item be exceptional and be missing a maker's mark, the exceptional tag will be shown after the items condition.
    • Should the item be exceptional and a maker's mark has been applied. A "crafted by" marker will be placed at the end of the description.
    • Should the item be a slayer, it will be shown after the instruments name.
      Instruments.jpg
    Xegugg, Wodan, Anarchy and 3 others like this.
  18. Knoc

Knoc Member

I haven't jumped headlong into all of the patch notes, but have any of the changes to dungeon chests been made? I'm interested in making a LP'er, but it seems the value is really only in T-maps. Thanks!
  19. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

No changes have been made yet to dungeon chests. You can still make a LOT of gold, just training LP, by looting the dungeon chests. If you use a restock agent to dryloot the chests and actually sell off the items to NPCs, you'll find LP a greatly profitable skill to train. Albeit, fairly time consuming. :)
    Keza likes this.